blackwolf 19-May-16
MF 19-May-16
Konk1 19-May-16
South Farm 19-May-16
razorhead 19-May-16
17-May-16

Naz 's Link

17-May-16
Thanks for the link Naz. That explains it well.

17-May-16
This is just a pain in the ass. Leave it to the DNR to screw up something that worked.

17-May-16
Some folks would piss and moan if they were hung with a new rope!

System has worked slick for me and the Mrs...no problems!

17-May-16
Laminating the tags would help. Then take a hole punch in one corner of the take so a zip tie can be used to attach the tag. That is the easiest solution to the problem.

17-May-16
"Some folks would piss and moan if they were hung with a new rope!"

Yet you aren't so happy about having to set up/take down your stand on public land. To me that is pissing and moaning as well. We all have things we dislike and voice our opinion about it.

18-May-16
No complaints about new tagging system. Very convenient. I think for a long time the state of wisconsin was looked at as a state full of violators. I think we need to give ourselves some credit. Those who abide by the new changes should appreciate the convenience, and quit worrying about those who will cheat. Those people exist in every state, and in every single facet of life. Even if things are easier for those who cheat by liberalizing rules, the advantages for those who play by the rules should ultimately be our main focus. I left the tag as is on printed paper, kept in sleeve in my wallet with no problems. The back tag holder, I'm glad it's gone. I still case my gun and my bow, even though that's an advantage someone else might appreciate, but I only do it to help protect the scope or sights in a padded case.

18-May-16
I've used paper tags for years in Kansas. I just validate as soon as I get to the animal, put the tag in a ziplok bag, roll the bag up, and ziptie the bag to the animal. No muss, no fuss.

It really isn't any different than the old system except now it requires a small ziplock bag.

18-May-16
Your local sporting good store may carry a clear license holder in the fishing department. Wal Mart and Fleet Farm carries them. It's clear plastic with a Ziploc closure and there's a safety pin and lanyard. I used one for turkey hunting this spring, and after validating the license, I secure the lanyard around the turkey's legs.

18-May-16
Yeh I've been using paper tags for over 10 years in MD. Never had a problem, zip tie it tight to the antler or notch cut in the ear.

18-May-16
What everyone is forgetting is that the old system was obsolete and had to be changed. The contract with the vendor expired. The software was outdated and the vendor would not support it any more. The hardware was obsolete and could not be replaced. It was also VERY expensive.

For example, it has been pointed out that it would be helpful if we didn't have to write our name and other information on a carcass tag and it just printed on the tag. To make that very simple and obvious change with the previous vendor would cost tens of thousands of dollars. With the new system, it will just be done as part of the next update and will cost next to nothing.

Certainly there have been and still are a few glitches, but they can all be fixed very easily and cost next to nothing. New technology is very rarely seamless.

I remember when the ALIS system went live and having things go haywire for weeks and having dozens of customer standing in line for hours only to tell them to go home and come back the next day to try again. Now we are upset because some people had to wait 30 minutes to get their leftover turkey tags.

19-May-16
What I am wondering; If I shoot one way back in and quarter it or 5 piece it per regulations. Where and when should tag be as I separately take out each section to truck via my one-wheel cart. I will be leaving carcas parts in woods, then carcass parts at truck. I am thinking I would tag carcass piece that is last part to come out of woods which would be head-neck area with horns. ???

19-May-16
blackwolf.... I would take the tagged part out first, then the rest. If your worried about receiving some sort of citation or braking some sort of law, there's not one DNR officer in the State of WI that would even think of ticketing anyone in the situation you just described.

19-May-16
The only new item you need in your hunting kit is a pen. Not rocket science here. Some people just don't like change, however in this case change is good.

19-May-16
No need for laminations or ziplock bags...just use your old backtag holder that you no longer need...even comes with a pin to stick through the ear. Voila!

19-May-16
black wolf,,,,, I have taken quite a few deer out of the woods, since the new rule passed, via my cart. However, I never broke mine down into 5 parts......

I simply field dress my buck, take the legs off at the joint, and cut the buck in half......

easy than to transport... one time, I got luck and shot a really heavy buck, so then I cached the rear half in a tree, taken the front out first.....

I did receive a verbal warning from a field warden, after I failed to take the legs out with me, so put them in the carcass,,,,,,

I will have my paper tag with me, as I transport, I also thought about what if I had to go back in the woods and leave part in my truck. I would simply leave my tag on it while its at the truck, and go and get the rest.....

believe me, if you get checked they will know if your trying to cheat or not, I would have no issues,,,,

like said before, new system, all you need is a pen, and although I liked the old weather proof tags, like skook said earlier, there not available anymore,,,,

also south farms suggestion is a good one, and I will use that if needed

• Sitka Gear