nehunter 20-Jun-16
GF 20-Jun-16
bigbuckbob 21-Jun-16
bigbuckbob 30-Jun-16
bigbuckbob 30-Jun-16
nehunter 01-Jul-16
Ace 01-Jul-16
25-May-16
early this morning (5:50am) my wife saw a bear walk thru our backyard in Norwalk. She described it as large. I did not see it but when I got up a couple minutes later, I saw the tracks in the wet grass. I have read about the bear population upstate but never thought we would see one in this busy area of Norwalk. (Cranberry area)

25-May-16
There was a very large bear sitting next to the front door at Applebee's in Plainville last week. This is a large shopping complex that's located across the street from Rattlesnake Mt area, so the bear most likely came off the ridge when he smelled the burgers and fries! I saw pictures and it was VERY large.

25-May-16

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
They are everywhere. Had this guy in my yard in Southington over the weekend. I have another on camera. And the neighbor has seen a sow with two cubs in her yard multiple times in the last week.

25-May-16
Investigation shows bear was shot, dumped at Roxbury Land Trust

HARTFORD — Environmental officials have determined that a black bear found dead last week in Roxbury had been shot.

The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said Tuesday its investigation revealed that the bear's carcass likely was dumped on the Roxbury Land Trust property. A necropsy confirmed the male adult bear was shot.

The bear was found adjacent to Upper County Road at about 8 a.m. Wednesday.

DEEP says it is still trying to determine where the bear was shot and by whom.

In Connecticut, black bears are a protected species and bear hunting is illegal. Officials say a bear can only be killed if it's acting in a threatening manner or poses harm to a person

25-May-16
Move along Connecticut...nothing to see here.

May 10, 2016

NEW HAVEN, CT- A black bear was spotted in three different city neighborhoods Tuesday.

Police got calls about a bear in Cedar Hill, East Rock and Fair Haven starting around sunrise, said Officer David Hartman, police spokesman.

One motorist on Willow Street said the bear was nearly hit.

Keeping garbage securely stored, harvesting ripe fruit and vegetables and storing pet food indoors can help keep local bears away, Hartman said.

It's not the first time a bear was sighted in the city. Last year a juvenile bear made appearances in Fair Haven Heights around Russel Street. Tuesday's bear was last seen heading toward East Rock, possible for French Press coffee, Hartman said.

May 23, 2016

CORNWALL, CT (WFSB) - It was quite a surprise for one Connecticut mother when a bear and her two cubs got a little too close for comfort. “This is claw marks from the little guy and the mom just jumped right through the screen,” said Jenilyn Schweitzer, of Cornwall.

One of the cubs became trapped inside part of her home while her children were inside. “ I thought it was really cute and I started taking pictures,” Schweitzer said.

But within just a few minutes, she was overcome by fear when the mama bear started to climb up her door. “The mama cub came here and she started to climb up on the door and that’s when I realized it wasn’t cute anymore,” Schweitzer said. S econds later, she said her unexpected visitors decided to come inside her screened-in porch.

“She jumped literally through the screen door and in the meantime when the door was open a little baby cub came in and somehow the door closed behind him,” Schweitzer said.

She said she kept snapping pictures as the mother tried to rescue her cub.

“I can’t go out and open the door for the cub. So I’m like ‘oh my gosh’,” Schweitzer said. “The mama bear started freaking out trying to get him out.” Schweitzer said the mama bear decided to take matters into her own paws.

“Somehow the mom jumped up and back through the door and literally turned around and opened the door for the baby cub. Then they ran away,” Schweitzer said. She said she was watching this all unfold from inside her home. Once the bears got inside this screened-in porch, she knew she had to call 911 for help.

“My daughter could have been sitting right there at the picnic table and a bear could have literally jump through the screen,” Schweitzer said.

By the time police were dispatched, mama bear and her cubs had made a clean getaway, but not before leaving behind some damage.

It’s unclear why the bear chose her house, as Schweitzer said she didn’t have any food or garbage out.

16-Jun-16
did anyone see the bear on the news in Unionville. It was right in that shopping plaza just over the metal bridge walking around, sniffing in the ground and watching people watch him.

Played golf last night with a guy who hunts near Bantam Lake and last deer season he had his back towards a steep ridge and he had a bear come up behind him. When he turned to see what was making the noise it was 6 ft away and about 6ft up the slope, so it could have jumped right into his lap. He said he began yelling to scare it off and it began slapping it's jaws together,....threatening him back!!

16-Jun-16
We had one removed from Stratford last week.

17-Jun-16
Talked to a guy from aqurion,said the bears they've been catching in ffld cnty they let loose on water co property in easton

17-Jun-16
I think having the brown bear in CT is a good thing, that way they'll eat the mountain lions that have invaded the state, they're all over the place ;)

Where's my tin foil hat, gotta wait for the space ship to arrive.

17-Jun-16
Some might call me a prophet, except it was too easy to guess that the mountain lion was the other animal the tree huggers were concerned about.

19-Jun-16
They will work harder to try and find the bear killer than they will to investigate Hillary.

20-Jun-16

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
Look who followed the cat home.

20-Jun-16
Saw a news feed video today about a "brown bear" dumpster diving in CO.

Well, it WAS brown, and it WAS definitely a bear!

21-Jun-16
GF - brown or cinnamon? They don't know the difference and BROWN sounds a lot more news worthy :)

30-Jun-16
SWK - his feet don't look that big :)

His front paws are injured and the wardens have been watching since he was born about 2-1/2 year ago. Still, very strange seeing it walk like that for long distances.

30-Jun-16
The news report that I watched on line said the bear weighs approx. 250 lbs. Not sure if they weighed it or it's an estimate, but that would be a pretty good weight for a 2 yr old bear, don't you think?

Healthy though? Not sure about that.

01-Jul-16
Heard this from DEEP about the Bear tags in the ears.

All Bears have two ear tags (sometimes they fall out) RED means it was the color used in 2015 (and other Years).

A local Cornwall Bear is "275" the 27th Bear captured and the 5 means 2015.

They have used Yellow in 2009 and are using it in 2016.

01-Jul-16
I was talking to a DEEP employee about a bear I was seeing and he asked about the ear tags. When I told him there were no tags, he said "they probably fell out". (apparently they think they have tagged them all).

• Sitka Gear