bigbuckbob 13-Jun-16
longbeard 13-Jun-16
Wild Bill 13-Jun-16
Will 13-Jun-16
GF 14-Jun-16
bigbuckbob 15-Jun-16
soapdish 15-Jun-16
03-Jun-16
Seeing a whole lot of carcasses along route 15 and beyond. Hope the automobiles leave some for us.

03-Jun-16
I saw 2-3 so far on 84 towards Danbury..there was one with a missing head,looked like it was cut off

03-Jun-16
Been seeing 1-2 a day for the last 3 weeks or so

03-Jun-16
Yup. I travel all over CT, NY, PA and MA....it's amazing there are any deer left in the woods. There are road kills everywhere the last two weeks. Many more bucks than does, which goes along with what Pat said about deer leaving their core areas to relocate during the fawning period.

04-Jun-16
Seen 5 this past week in eastern CT/RI. 4 looked like does, one newborn on 395.

04-Jun-16
Just drove the NYS thru-way from Albany to Kingston and saw 5 dead deer 3 were bucks though. Shawn

04-Jun-16
saw 2 on I-84 on the way to Boston last Friday for my daughter's wedding.

05-Jun-16
And plenty showing up on Palisades pky.... Not noticing any little racks, though... Seems like almost all mature does...

They oughtta know better, so I guess the hope is that the is just an indication of higher numbers overall.... Not that that's what the DEEP wants in much of the state, of course.... But with the mild winter and the heavy mast last fall, an up-tick is almost assured...

And maybe it even hints that the deer did well against the coyotes...

05-Jun-16
Just got back from Ithaca. Bunch of live ones through the Catskills and dead ones in ct.

06-Jun-16
Saw 3 does dead on rt2 sunday .Plus a dead coyote by exit 17 east side a little good with the bad.

06-Jun-16
I have not seen any road killed deer in the Washington area in some time, which is good. The chipmunks and squirrels have really been taking a beating lately though.

11-Jun-16
I couldn't image how scary that moment was for him. Glad he is ok.

12-Jun-16
Pat

As someone who rides motorcycles I can appreciate how scary it is to have a deer end up on your front wheel. Your son is very lucky, his guardian angel was watching over for him. Glad he's ok.

12-Jun-16
Glad. He is ok !

12-Jun-16
Glad. He is ok !

12-Jun-16
Glad to hear as well that he is OK. I had one run within three feet of my motorcycle a couple of years ago and we locked eyes with each other as she jumped aside. It also pays to always wear a helmet just in case something goes wrong.

13-Jun-16
Glad to hear he is ok Pat. I have noticed many more deer dead on the Parkway this spring, more than any other spring in recent memory. Seems like its an early rut! Lol But in all seriousness I think that the state, by cutting all the trees away from the Parkway, has inadvertently created a whole new food source along the road. This puts these deer in harms way at a whole other time frame from the rut. We all know that deer are drawn to "edge" habitat, and this is the epitome of "edge". The state has solved one issue (trees at risk) but created or exaggerated another. Just my opinion...

13-Jun-16
I saw 3 dead on 15 on the way to work this morning .

13-Jun-16
longbeard

I think that's a great observation and I agree! There's a place not far from my house that is cutting lots of trees as part of managing the habitat, and I think it's going to be a prime hunting spot next year. Will be a short drive to one of my spots,....nice change.

13-Jun-16
Thanks Bob, I'm not sure if this is something that's going to be the norm every spring now because of the cutting, but all last fall and winter as they were cutting I was thinking of exactly this problem. I was thinking OMG they are creating a smorgasbord for the deer right next to the highway. This is a complete contradiction of what the big insurance companies have been trying to do. It could be just coincidental but I think not. I do think this will happen every year as the "food plot" grows

13-Jun-16
This is the time when babies eat babies. Deer, turkey, song birds, woodchuck, squirrel are prey to coyote, fox, bobcat, bear, fisher cat and raccoon.

13-Jun-16
Wow Pat - glad the boy is ok. Very scary!

Bob and longbeard -so true on cuttings. A spot I liked to hunt, maybe 8 years ago, was cut. It was fantastic the first year after the cutting... very good year two... Then they finished what they started and build the recycling center on it. Now it's off limits :(

Point being - new cut's are awesome!

14-Jun-16
Almost stopped for one this evening... Trooper had just finished putting it down and I saw that last flop of the leg.

Wanted to just roll up real casual.... "You gonna eat that?"

And that was around 6:30. Saw another along the Hutch/Merrit. They don't seem to worry AT ALL whether it's "prime time", do they?

15-Jun-16
My wife saw one on the way to work yesterday on RT 9 in Berlin, said there was 2-3 cars stopped, probably from damage. She said the deer was a real mess, so must have been hit at a high rate speed.

15-Jun-16
Memorial day on the way back from eastford to Windsor locks we counted 9 deer 3 skunks and 1 woodchuck

• Sitka Gear