Little Bear 15-Jun-16
gobbler 15-Jun-16
Doug 15-Jun-16
Doug 15-Jun-16
bowslinger 2 01-Aug-16
Clare@work 18-Aug-16
Doug 20-Aug-16
14-Jun-16
Doesn't the WVBA usually have a guide that donates a hunt every year in Maine? Does anyone have the contact info please? I was selected for a Moose hunt.

14-Jun-16
Congratulations, what unit?

14-Jun-16
Thanks, Zone 5, in the last week of Sept. Looks like one of the better zones. should be when rut is on. From what I have read, I had about 1% chance of being drawn. this is the first year I applied. Looking at Maine forum, people have been trying for 30 years.

14-Jun-16
Eldon Jandreau used to donate hunts to the WVBA, but he sold his business. I don't know the new owners, but David Mitchell will see this and get you some help, I'm sure.

14-Jun-16
I am not sure about the WVBA donor but Eldron Janreau is a good guide I hear. I know I misspelled his last name. I believe Dave Mitchell has hunted with him. I have heard good things but have never hunted there. Hopefully Dave will see this post and chime in.

14-Jun-16
PM sent. Dave might have a more up-to-date #, but I sent what I can provide.

Best of luck!

14-Jun-16
I have no idea about Eldon's whereabouts for the last few years but the last I heard he was working in Vermont. One of his guides bought the bear hunt business but does not do guiding for moose. However, I saw a post on another site that was posted by the guy who used to do Eldon's web site. Bill said that the new owner, Phil Allen, has the same guides who worked with Eldon on both bear and moose hunts and you can probably make arrangements with one of them to guide you on moose. They are some experienced guides. He has a retired Maine game warden named Jimmy Dumont who is terrific. Phil's number is 207-615-2691. I'm quite sure he wouldn't mind having his name and business number put out here. :o) Excellent bear area and great moose hunting there as well. If you drew a Maine moose tag you should have immediately bought a lottery ticket for the megamillions jackpot. :o)

14-Jun-16
Thanks for the info everyone. Dave, I had a few people tell me to buy a lottery ticket, I think I had better odds. LOL

14-Jun-16
Congrats. That would be fun.

14-Jun-16
Congrats. That would be fun.

14-Jun-16
If I remember correctly when my wife drew we started getting solicitations from outfitters. I would think that has not changed.

15-Jun-16
LOL - I was going to suggest contacting Turk for ideas. He knows a lot about planning hunts where amazing draw odds were beaten. Anyone remember that Shiras story?

15-Jun-16
I apply for multiple animals in multiple states each year. I know it's too late now and you probably didn't expect to get drawn, but I usually have an outfitter picked, vetted, and checked out before I apply. That way I'm not scrambling to try and find an outfitter after I'm drawn. The best outfitters usually are already committed and fill up fast . That doesn't mean you can't find a good one I just prefer to have the details worked out ahead of time in case I do draw a tag.

Congrats on drawing the tag!

15-Jun-16
Yes, I was really surprised. I have never even entered for any drawing before, except for the Kentucky Elk. So I am not too prepared. I did call the guy that Dave Mitchell suggested last night. He said he had one guide left and he was going to have him call, but I have not heard back yet.

15-Jun-16
The good thing is that they gave out a lot less tags this year. One guide I talked to said moose numbers are way down.

01-Aug-16
Get a guide. Get there early to look things over. Don't get too nuts over Antlers they taste horrible. Unless u have 3 freezers consider if you want to shoot a good one, 950lbs. Your gonna need three. The 400-500lb Eat real good. Get it on camera, it's not that hard. Line up a place to get it cut up before you hunt not after. It's a big animal and needs fast butchering, It don't take long to spoil. You really did hit the Mega bucks. The tag is very hard to drew. Bring a crew if u can. These damn things are heavy. They'll like the bird hunting till u get one down. BIG OR SMALL it's the hunt of a life time. Shoot straight. bowslinger 2 Harrison,Maine

18-Aug-16
Call Jeff Dube @ Maine Wild Adventures, 610 945 5444 he may be able to help you out, Tell him Clare Lyons sent you. Good Luck

20-Aug-16
Thanks for all the info everyone. I did get a guide, Don Burnett, #9 Lake Outfitters. I have talked to him several times, seems like a great guy. He even called to check on us after he heard about all the flooding down here. He had everything I was looking for. He even made reservations at the butcher shop to have it cut up. I guess he has never seen me shoot. LOL

• Sitka Gear