Dr. Williams 07-Jul-16
airrow 08-Jul-16
Dr. Williams 09-Jul-16
notme 09-Jul-16
notme 09-Jul-16
Dr. Williams 09-Jul-16
airrow 15-Jul-16
17-Jun-16
Staten Island, NY considers 13 deer per square mile a epidemic and plans to spend $2M to give male deer vasectomies to curb their population problem.

17-Jun-16

airrow's Link

17-Jun-16
read some of the comments by others!! WOW is all I can say. I guess we got off cheap in CT since DeNicola is charging NY $2mil LARGE to snip the bucks, what a wate of money!! It amazes that people are so foolish to believe this is the answer.

17-Jun-16
So if the buck is denutted he will still have the urge to hunt down and mate does ? Maybe I missed something in biology class but buddy the wonder beagle has no sack ,when I bring him to the dog park he looks at me like dude give me a cheeseburger instead...lol

17-Jun-16
What you missed in biology class was the difference between a castration and vasectomy. And the mayor earmarked that money and put the project out to bid. And they awarded the contract to WB.

17-Jun-16
Hey V, One was castrated, one had a vasectomy ... any guesses as to which is which? (there was a hint in the story)

17-Jun-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
I knew my nonsense would bring you out...lol

Ace, one involves a bag of ice the other is singing high notes...lol

17-Jun-16
Actually it was Glen's nonsense. I've been desperately awaiting the results from that 4-town VisionAir survey to be posted here. But alas, crickets. . .

17-Jun-16
But if you guys want to criticize this Staten Island plan, it stands to reason that you should have your reproductive biology knowledge straight.

17-Jun-16
I can't wait to see how the Staten Island plan works out. Also, I'm curious on that deer survey Doc.

18-Jun-16
Some more will just swim over there all over the place my friends live there and they said this is stupid . They can't shoot every deer in Redding how are they going to deball all the deer ?

18-Jun-16

airrow's Link
2 Million dollars to treat approximately 275 male deer on Staten Island, NY. Spending $300,000.00 on whole corn which comes out to approximately - 2,000 lbs, 1 ton pallet (40/50 # bags @ $10 per bag) of corn for each of the 763 deer on Staten Island. That leaves $1,700,000.00 to treat the 275 bucks @ a cost of approximately - $6,181.81 per deer in year (1) of the three year study. In year 2 and 3 that per deer cost will increase as much as 2X.

18-Jun-16
Steve. With all due respect, the purpose of the Redding project wasn't to kill every deer in Town. It was to substantially reduce numbers on 2 square miles. And a vasectomy is not a castration.

Glen. That's some good math skills. What's your point? The mayor put the project out to bid with that price tag and WB put forth their proposal and were selected. Good for them. How about those survey results you promised? Or did you not waste your money because you realized single digit deer densities in Zone 11 is preposterous?

18-Jun-16
What firm worked with the City to put the bid spec together? How was the budget arrived at for the bid? and how many firms actually submitted a bid? If multiple firms submitted bids how many were actually qualified per the bid spec? Was low price the sole basis for determining the award?

I have no idea if the price the city is paying is a good value, it very well may be. I also don't have any idea how effective this process will be, time will tell, It very well may be.

However there are a lot of smoke and mirrors with a bid process, I do know that just because there was a bid, doesn't necessarily mean the best value was received.

18-Jun-16
Dr but you couldn't get to your goal .so what makes you think you can get 275 male deer you know there is really 550 there 2x remember it's just a waste of money lmho Steve

19-Jun-16
http://www.buckmanager.com/2016/05/24/staten-island-deer-population-failure-ahead/

19-Jun-16
Steve, I've never doubled my raw deer counts, ever. I'm also not doing the work on Staten Island. You are entitled to your opinion about cost, but that's a good payday for WB.

Thanks for the link Glen. This was my favorite part:

"There are way deer more than you think. Aerial surveys for wildlife are designed to work by observers counting animals in a given area, say 1 square mile, then interpolating those numbers to additional, similar areas that were not surveyed, such as another 10 square miles. Observers, however, do not see all of the animals.

This is inherently true for just about any type of wildlife survey because it is completely possible to miss animals that are present in the environment. Deer can stay bedded down, simply be out of view and can avoid detection by moving away from observers. Surveys are critically important for managing wildlife populations, but most biologists acknowledge that surveys typically result in an estimate of the “minimum population size,” for the reasons outlined above.

Depending on the survey method used, the estimated population can be significantly lower than the actual population. This is especially true for aerial surveys, where a number of factors must be considered. If surveyors observed 763 deer in 2014 then the Staten Island deer population consists of least 1,500 animals now. In short, the scope of the work is much larger than they think."

20-Jun-16
Oh crap!! Scotty got beamed back up.

Scotty - so do you really expect us to believe that your good friend and former partner DeNicola of "Kill 'em All WB" will be able to find and de-nut every single buck on the island? REALLY?! What about the ones that hide from the spotters in the airplanes? Is he going to find them as well and get close enough with a dart gun to make them sing soprano?

Put your boots on guys, here comes the manure man defending his good pay Tony! Follow the money boys, just follow the money. $2 mil and he's a non-profit!!!

This is going to be fun.

And for the guys that don't like reading this post - please ignore it.

20-Jun-16
Hey Scott

And I like this part of the article, but then again it doesn't promote your good friend Tony's agenda, does it?

Notice the key words "STUPID" and "RIDICULOUS" to describe DeNicola's plan.

"It's difficult for me to come up with all the reasons why this is a really stupid plan," said Bernd Blossey, a ecologist at Cornell University who consulted City Hall on deer management strategies in November. "It's ridiculous from the onset."

20-Jun-16
If anyone is going to capture and treat all the males on Staten Island, the WB crew will be the ones to do it. My good friend Tony’s profession is successful deer management, however it needs to get done, in this case, unlike Redding, by non-lethal surgical vasectomy. This is a large-scale project that has not been attempted before. Why are you so threatened by it? Because it might work? If it is so stupid, I would like to hear your suggestion to successfully manage deer in NYC where hunting is illegal and so is discharge of any type of weapon. Oh and also where there are half a million people on 60 square miles, or approximately 8,333 people/square mile. It’s easy to criticize, but at least offer a feasible or prudent alternative. What airplanes are you talking about? No one credible uses planes when darting or surveying deer.

20-Jun-16
I have to agree with the Doc. I cannot see the value in hammering him on this and furthermore I can understand people being skeptical of this but let's hear the reasonable alternatives. This is probably the best beta test bed for this process. NY seems to habitually piss money away at crazier schemes. Let's see how this plays out.

20-Jun-16
Scotty

your buddy Tony couldn't do it in Redding with high powered rifles at night over bait, and now you want us to believe and he can use a low powered dart gun and get every single buck on the island??!! Come on Scott, you can do better than that.

Threatened?? Not at all. Just another example of our hard earned dollars going to a failed government program, like your tick study. Yes, we all know that Tony couldn't get it done because someone was watching his guys. Wonder how many of those half million people on the island will be in his way while he tries to get within a few yards of every buck to dart them?

Alternatives - I can offer plenty of other stupid, ridiculous alternatives. Poison them, make the landowners clear all edible vegetation, shoot with them with poison darts, cross bow at night over bait, bring in more coyotes and bobcats or you can conduct another tick study on the island so you can get some of that money being offered. All pretty stupid, right??

So Tony is going to de-nut some of the bucks and then let them go. So the island still has the same 1000 deer running into cars causing accidents? Great idea! The bucks he couldn't find will breed, and the following seasons will see more and more bucks with nuts. How much money can your budding Tony in the upcoming years? Plenty with this scheme.

This is like getting the phone call from Apu saying he's from Microsoft Support, and I have a problem on my computer. Just tell me your charge card number and I'll fix it for you. RIGHT!

20-Jun-16
All the buck nuts will remain intact. Learn something before you spout your nonsense. Do you think the half million people of SI will agree to poisoning deer? You can't use crossbows because discharging a bolt is illegal within city limits. Right, stocking NYC with predators sounds like it will be publicly acceptable. How is this in anyway "your hard-earned tax dollars" going to waste? Do you have real estate in the city we don't know about?

20-Jun-16
"Alternatives - I can offer plenty of other stupid, ridiculous alternatives."

That goes without saying, but the trick is to offer reasonable alternatives. got any?

I think you are directing your ire at the wrong party, Seems to me the mayor of NY should be the focal point of your disdain. After all, NY sets the table with their regulations. Seems to me that W/B is working with what they have been given.

Here's the problem that I have. It doesn't appear that anyone has the facts on this. You don't know the terms and conditions of the bid specs, You don't know the details of the discussions prior to the bid being implemented. You don't know what W/B was told they can and cannot do by the City. This very well may be the best choice they had available to them. It's real easy to second guess but at least do it with all the facts. And guys, Google Vasectomy and Castration. You should know the difference so you don't keep embarrassing yourselves

20-Jun-16
Thanks BB. You are correct. This is altogether different from sharpshooting. The same arguments don't hold water. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

20-Jun-16
I agree that you can't blame WB for this. The libs of NY want to spend money for this. Hell I would take it with a non guarantee of results.

20-Jun-16
The only real scary thing I see is ct usually follows ny footsteps..

20-Jun-16
Notme, you already had WB your safe. Besides you guys should be happy for de nutting over killing.

21-Jun-16
Scotty - ah, do you really think my suggestions were serious?? I said upfront I would offer other stupid and ridiculous options so why are trying to dismiss them, it's a waste of your valuable time. None of them will work, I already agreed to that, just like Tony's plan won't work.

I don't blame WB for taking the $2 mil of taxpayer money and running with it! I didn't blame them when Scotty gave his friend Tony the money in CT for his failed tick study. Tony's got a nice racket going and getting paid a lot of money for it. I blame the politicians for offering it.

For all of you that think this is the BEST option just answer one question. Will it work? Do you really think ANYONE can find every single buck on the island? All of them? Not miss that one behind the bush? REALLY???

If your answer is no then why spend $2 mil of taxpayer money for another failed government program? How's that Obama Care working for you?

BB - this program was already labeled stupid and ridiculous, not by me but a Cornell ecologist. So how about we discount this plan as quickly as you discounted my suggestions? They are ALL equally stupid and ridiculous, no argument from me on that point.

As for my use of the term "de-nut" let me apologize for using slang" to communicate my thought in a sophomoric manner. I find it fun at times to add a bit of humor to my posts. I don't take myself seriously, I encourage others to do the same.

21-Jun-16
Has this method been tried elsewhere? If so, were the results published? Has WB ever performed vasectomies before?

21-Jun-16
Ace - this will be a first I believe. Where I work, if I ever approved $2 mil on an un-proven process I'd be fired! Your government at work for you!! Give me your money and I'll spend it like a drunken sailor.

21-Jun-16
Staten Island has now realized a mistake in their article on "Vasectomies for Deer on Staten Island", and adjusted the article to now read $30,000 for corn or 200 lbs per deer on the Island. So that now leaves $1,970,000.00 for the approximate 275 male deer on the island, or $ 7,163.63 per deer.

" The above article was corrected to reflect that DeNicola and his team plan to lure the deer to spots across Staten Island using up to $30,000 in whole kernel corn bait, not $300,000 worth. "

Now they just need to realize their second mistake and not let White Buffalo get involved with, Staten Island Deer issues.

We have requested the FLIR survey results that were done on Staten Island the second week of February 2016 and will post the results if and when received.

21-Jun-16
I would like to know how the hell corn is going to lure all these bucks across Staten Island? I can't even lure all the bucks in a small spot to corn.

21-Jun-16
spike - not only are they going to lure the deer to the corn piles, but they're going to get every single buck on the island to come to those corn piles. You just gotta shake your head on this one!!

21-Jun-16
"BB - this program was already labeled stupid and ridiculous, not by me but a Cornell ecologist."

I should have used my mind reading technique.

"So how about we discount this plan as quickly as you discounted my suggestions? "

I didn't discount any plan. I don't know enough about any of them to discount. They are only stupid if they prove to be stupid. I'd say you best hope the plans don't work, then everyone will think you're a genius.

21-Jun-16
BB - sorry, but I thought you read the article that this thread is discussing, my bad. Looks like you should take your own advice and look things up before making a post to this thread, just saying.

You don't need to spend $2 mil of the taxpayers money to decide if this plan is stupid or not. I would just apply some common sense and ask yourself what I've asked several times already - "Do you really think anyone can find every single buck on the island and get close enough to dart them? EVERY SINGLE BUCK?"

And don't forget, after they're de-nutted (there I go again, where' my dictionary?) they are returned to roam the city streets and run into cars, so what problem did we solve here? I know, we solved how to get Tony $2 mil for sterilizing a few hundred deer. Nice work if you can get, and yes I'm jealous.

21-Jun-16
"BB - sorry, but I thought you read the article that this thread is discussing, my bad. Looks like you should take your own advice and look things up before making a post to this thread, just saying."

I still need my Kreskin powers when I'm reading your posts.

Suppose the NY Wildlife biologist decided that this is the method that will be used to solve the cities problem.based on a number of considerations. The city puts out a bid and the bid specs are very specific. Do you A. ignore the bid because Bigbuck Bob determines that it's not appropriate and stupid? or do you B, Bid the job per the specs?

I participate in a lot of Public bids...Many. Often the specs are already determined. They often aren't the best value but by the time the bid comes out the discussion is done. There is often a better way to do what the owner wants. But If you are going to bid, you bid per the specs.

You may not like W/B but They may not have had anything to do with the way this worked out. Ever do any work in the city? there are a lot of factors that drive the cost of any project higher. from all the cash you have to pay people that won't let you carry a tool up a flight of stairs without paying them, to parking to you name it, everyone has their hand in your pocket. So when you determine that your $30,000.00 price for corn is exorbitant, just consider where this is taking place. As I stated before, you are likely mis-directing your whinning. Municipalities are requiring all kinds of crazy conditions for contractors which drive the prices up ridiculously high, such as hiring local people at the expense of your employees. certain percentage of minorities have to be employed, certain percentage of disadvantaged people have to be hired. Regardless of skill level. I just went through this in Waterbury. Prevailing wage or union labor has to be paid, There are all kinds of landmines built into bids that can more than double the normal cost of a similar project .

22-Jun-16
How do they keep track of the ones they already did are they tagging them like bears ? ear tags ? When are they going to go this ? baiting only really works with snow on the ground by then the deer lose there horns this is going to be fun to watch this .I pay taxes in New York This is a waste of money !! Steve

22-Jun-16
BB

please show me where I stated that I blameWB and I blame for the Staten Island mess in this thread? I did state that there's no way WB or any other organization could possible capture and de-nut all of the bucks. I also said the politicians and the government are to blame for spending $2 mil so no need to channel Kreskin since this is a simple matter of our government wasting taxpayer money.

BTW - I'm a purchasing manager at a fortune 500 company and have been involved with material management for 43 years, so I know just a little bit about how RFQs and the bidding process works. I've never dealt with a government body, thank goodness, but I know who writes the specs and what's expected of the vendors bidding the jobs.

So, just to be clear - my concern (Whining as some call it) is that our government is spending $2 mil of the taxpayers money on another failed program.

22-Jun-16
steve

you make a great point about accounting for each buck that is sterilized, but I'm guessing (wasn't in the article) that a tag would be placed on the ear of each buck treated.

They can't do it after the rut because then they'll need to return to get the new born bucks in the spring, and the cycle repeats itself. And if they do it in late summer early fall there's plenty of other food sources to keep the bucks away from the dart gun.

If the area is so crowded with people and buildings that a crossbow wouldn't work, what will happen when the buck runs away after being darted? Runs into a highway? Lost never to be found?

Also remember - the problem is too many deer causing a safety concern for car/deer crashes. They're going to release the treated buck back to the population = same qty of deer to run into cars. How does this solve the problem in the short term?

22-Jun-16
"please show me where I stated that I blameWB and I blame for the Staten Island mess in this thread? I did state that there's no way WB or any other organization could possible capture and de-nut all of the bucks. I also said the politicians and the government are to blame for spending $2 mil so no need to channel Kreskin since this is a simple matter of our government wasting taxpa"

"Put your boots on guys, here comes the manure man defending his good pay Tony! Follow the money boys, just follow the money. $2 mil and he's a non-profit!!!"

Maybe I need to keep the Kreskin powers in play to figure out who you blame here, because to me it's not overly clear.

"BTW - I'm a purchasing manager at a fortune 500 company and have been involved with material management for 43 years, so I know just a little bit about how RFQs and the bidding process works. I've never dealt with a government body, thank goodness, but I know who writes the specs and what's expected of the vendors bidding the jobs."

Until now, no one could have guessed. The contents of your posts wouldn't lead anyone to believe that you know anything about the process.

Do you ever participate in public bids from the state or municipalities where there is state money involved? If you want an eye opener, read some of the bid specs that are put out by the state. You can get a good idea if you go to the DAS website.

22-Jun-16
I work for what is probably the biggest non profit on the planet dating back over 2000 yrs..one things for sure is they don't give a rats ass about anything but the dollar disguised in a vaguely veiled do good program..

bb's right about state/city bids..theres so much crap hidden in the specs its almost like they want the little guys not to bid..a normal $250-300 t per sq.tear off now balloons to $500+ cause of the added crap.

22-Jun-16
While reading this, something struck me. It had never hit me before when reading about sterilization of deer or what not...

What are we as hunters doing wrong, that people are so scared of "us", that they would rather do something like this, than figure out how to have a controlled hunt?

I mean, ok, some areas maybe it's just not safe to discharge a firearm... but if you can safely fling darts, it seems a bow should be ok.

How did "we" become such a touchy subject and a "group" that inspires enough lack of confidence in people that a group who has to be at least of average intelligence would rather attempt what amounts to mass sterilization vs allowing there "neighbors" to do the job. The "neighbors" would actually PAY the state to do the "job".

Never really hit me before. But overall, this just seems to be a bigger issue to me than the project being discussed.

I mean, if the folks of staten island want to attempt to do this and are willing to pay for it, that's their deal. The bigger issue to me, is what that mentality means for "us".

Not good.

Will

22-Jun-16
BB - you're quoting my comments about Scotty, not WB. Let me know where you find criticism of WB. In fact, I also stated "I don't blame WB for taking the $2 mil of taxpayer money and running with it!"

And I already stated that I don't deal with government (that would be the cities, state or federal). No idea what that has to do with my comments that the plan is stupid and ridiculous anyway. Are you saying that because the City of NY gave the bidders a stupid & ridiculous spec it's ok?? It's a good plan?? That's what this argument about, not how a bid process works.

So get back to the point of this thread and answer the question - do you think WB will find every single buck on the island? Do you think it makes sense to release the bucks back into the environment after sterilization?

22-Jun-16
Will

not sure it's the image of hunters alone that's the problem. I think it's also the animal rights people and the politicians being afraid of the backlash around anyone KILLING the pretty deer.

I said at the start of this thread that you should read the posts on the article, almost all are from tree hugger types saying the deer should be picked up and moved, or just leave them alone because they have as much right to be there as people.

Think about how many years deer live and how long it will take for this plan to take effect.

22-Jun-16
"BB - you're quoting my comments about Scotty, not WB. Let me know where you find criticism of WB"

It's not really apparent to me based on the posts I'm reading who you aren't happy with, It looks to me like you aren't Happy with both "Scotty" and "DiNicola"

"So get back to the point of this thread and answer the question - do you think WB will find every single buck on the island? Do you think it makes sense to release the bucks back into the environment after sterilization?"

The only answer I'm going to give at this point is this, I have my doubts as to it's viability. However, I'm willing to let this run it's course, like I said, it's only stupid if it proves to be stupid. I'm not qualified to be able to second guess the process as I don't have enough information to do much second guessing. Something tells me your qualifications run parallel with mine.

22-Jun-16
Will,

People don't like the concept of killing animals. It's nothing that was done specifically other than the end result is a dead animal.

22-Jun-16
BB - the only qualifications you need to answer the question in this case applies to understanding deer and deer hunting. Not hunting to kill, but hunting to dart. If you're an astute hunter you should be able to give your "opinion" as to whether or not ANYONE can locate every single buck on an island that's 57.92 sq miles? What do you think?

As for WB and Scott - Scott only comes on this site to promote his agenda, nothing else. He's never posted a thread about hunting that I've seen, just his tick study. As for WB - they're a tool. They're doing a job and if someone hires them so be it,....I could less. However, I would never promote the idea of getting paid to kill deer, and that's what he does. I'll leave it at that.

22-Jun-16
" If you're an astute hunter you should be able to give your "opinion" as to whether or not ANYONE can locate every single buck on an island that's 57.92 sq miles? What do you think?"

I've given you my opinion. It's also my opinion that you are borderline Hysterical.

22-Jun-16
BB

I was just trying to reply to your post, not hysterical at all, unless you mean like "hysterical funny"?

My intent was not upset you, just like to find out what others think. I find it hard to believe that others don't find this topic interesting considering NYC plan involves finding every buck in the woods.

Have a good day.

22-Jun-16
Bob,

I'm not upset in the least. i'm just poking at you because I think you need it.

You're like a hysterical old woman.

22-Jun-16
Nah, just like a lively discussion. People that know me say I should have a tee shirt that reads "I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right!"

I never take anything personal. I know I can push people's buttons at times (sometimes on purpose) and my communication skills on the keyboard suck (as you so aptly pointed out).

Now where did Scott go?

22-Jun-16
I think he was watching the battle of the bs'...lol

22-Jun-16
OK, crazy old woman...Somehow I missed this before,

"And I already stated that I don't deal with government (that would be the cities, state or federal). No idea what that has to do with my comments that the plan is stupid and ridiculous anyway. Are you saying that because the City of NY gave the bidders a stupid & ridiculous spec it's ok?? It's a good plan?? That's what this argument about, not how a bid process works."

Well you made the point to tell me you are a buyer for a fortune 500 company and are familiar with bid processes. So knowing that that really has nothing to do with government public bids, I directed you to the DAS website for some enlightenment.

What it has to do with is that based on the assumption that you are unhappy with DiNicola/WB for bidding and winning a public bid put out by NY City and obviously feel he is somehow driving the exorbitant price and presumably doing some underhanded things, based on reading your comments about him/them, I felt it was worth pointing out that even if you are the one working with the government agency to put the bid spec together, they have their own boilerplate language and requirements over and above the scope of work which can can blindside you with nonsensical stuff that has nothing to do with completing the project and drives the cost up 3 fold.

I'm not saying it's a good deal for anyone, I'm not making that assesment either good or bad. What I am saying is that just because you feel it's a bad deal and a bad idea, w/B or anyone else isn't necessarily the blame for that, they may very well be just the victim of a bad bid spec that they have to work with. They have two choices, either walk away from it or comply with it.

Generally if you are in business, even if it's non profit, you comply unless of course you run too great a risk of losing money, that's usually the only time companies walk away from these things.

This is really a pretty basic concept that shouldn't require me to go into this much detail to explain.

22-Jun-16
I'm fishing for brook trout in Canada. Quite a lively discussion! Bob, this is not your hard-earned federal taxpayer money, it's NYC taxpayer money. They allotted this money and sought a bid that would work given all the restrictions. You spout nonsense that can't work in a climate like Staten Island or anywhere else. That's why you didn't get the contract.

Will, you nailed it. Why are towns and municipalities seeking out firms like WB and not hunters? Because hunters blame everyone else and point fingers why deer surveys are wrong, blame government conspiracies, and claim everyone else is wrong. If they were smart, they would look inward and say to themselves, "how can we make ourselves more marketable and what can we learn from firms like WB?" In this case unfortunately, even arrow discharge is prohibited. But you are on the right track. Look inward and you will find ample opportunity landing in your lap.

BB. You got it brother. This surgical procedure has been done on many many deer in the past. It has not yet been shown to work by itself as a successful population control technique. But we will see!

What you guys need to remember is that sterile bucks don't know they are sterile and will compete just like normal with fertile animals to breed does. Does will cycle a couple extra times, but not all the way through winter.

23-Jun-16
BB - how many times do you I have tell you I don't blame WB and Tony for the government wasting taxpayer money. He's an opportunist taking advantage of the system, nothing more.

Doc - I NEVER said it was MY money being used for the Staten Island project, unless you're referring to my reference about your failed tick study that I mentioned and yes, that was my FEDERAL tax money.

You say this surgical procedure was done on many deer in the past, but your good friend Tony stated in the article that this process is new, and has never been tried before??? Which is it???

And I didn't spout nonsense that this process was stupid and ridiculous, I was repeating what a Cornell ecologist stated about the plan, I just happen to agree. This is just not BBB finding fault with another "destined to fail" government program.

And sterile bucks will still run into cars causing accidents, so how does this reduce the problem short term? And still, no one has answered the question - Do you really think ANYONE can find and dart every single buck on the island???? chirp, chirp

23-Jun-16
BB - This post is not intended to educate people on business practices. I could care less how the bidding process works for public and government jobs, so please stop turning this post into something other than "Do you think anyone can find and dart every single buck on the island?"

Answer please?

And when you resort to name calling I know you have nothing factual to argue your point. I suggest you leave that on school yard and try to have a mature discussion.

23-Jun-16
"Do you really think ANYONE can find and dart every single buck on the island????"

No, but who said anything about darting every single buck on the island? Its population reduction in the long term not eradication. You are looking at the short term when you say that same buck could get released and then hit by a car. As the Dr. said, sterilized males will still compete and breed with does. The hope is that the does will cycle a couple of times and that there are enough sterilized bucks so that the doe doesn't actually get fertilized.

...and by the way, I don't agree with this technique, just adding my 2 cents. I feel vasectomies should be saved for all the human males on the island:) However, I agree that it will be interesting to see the results from afar.

Maybe they should dart them and move them to Redding so we can get over the "single digit" deer densities...lol

23-Jun-16
I don't think we will live long enough to see the results .

23-Jun-16
tobywon

love the idea of moving them to Redding, kill two birds with one stone,....best alternative idea yet.

I understand this is a long term program, but if you lived on the island would you want to spend that kind of money year after year after year to maintain a low deer herd. The doe will continue to get bred, at lower rate at first, but once the program stops, then what?? Another $2 mil and then another $2 mil.

I don't have skin in the game either, but as a taxpayer I'm amazed at how easily the politicians spend the taxpayers money on silly programs like this.

Steve - I don't think you'll need to live a long time because once the program stops the herd will rebound, just like it will in Redding.

23-Jun-16
Bob. No one said anything about sterilizing every buck on the island. No one said anything about zero population growth. Being sterile won't increase a buck's chance of getting hit by a vehicle. And you keep talking about "our tax dollars." That's utterly bogus, unless you are paying taxing in NYC and I'm guessing no one here is. The procedure has been done on numerous animals, yes, in combination with female sterilization. The procedure has not yet been attempted as a stand alone technique.

I'm still curious what your suggestion for a successful program is.

23-Jun-16
So if not every buck will be sterilized, how many will? 50%? 60% I ask because $2 mil of taxpayer's money is a lot to spend if 2 or 3 years later you're back to square one (not my tax money, just taxpayers. I've NEVER said it was my money so don't deflect the point of this thread).

Where did I say sterilizing will INCREASE a buck's chance of being hit by a car. Back to telling lies Doc, not nice. I said they're going to release them back into population where they can still play in traffic.

My suggestion: save the taxpayer's $2 mil for a failed program and improve the schools. The only financially sound solution is to have others pay to remove the deer and keep the meat. How far will a deer run after being darted? Far enough to hit a car? I say a crossbow will yield a shorter run and is just as safe if done with proper restrictions. You know, like high powered rifles at night!

I don't need to own property in NYC to recognize a waste of taxpayers money.

23-Jun-16
Bob. You are not comprehending that hunting is illegal in NYC and so is the discharge of a weapon, any weapon, including high powered rifles and arrows and bolts. Staten Island is sick of their deer. If you think that money should go to the schools instead, perhaps you should be mayor.

23-Jun-16

airrow's Link
More problems for Staten Island vasectomy program - White Buffalo plans to distribute $30,000.00 of whole corn, 75 ton or 200 lbs. of whole corn per deer on Staten Island as an attractant. New York State does not allow any form of feeding, baiting or use of whole corn regarding deer. There are several exceptions, but will they apply to Staten Island.

23-Jun-16
Thanks for the link Glen. Seems like this would fall under exception #5. Hardly newsworthy. But thanks.

23-Jun-16
A planned deer cull on Block Island was canceled in 2014 when WB was denied permission to use silencers on their rifles, state laws ban the use of silencers and prohibit the use of bait which was also being used by the professional sharpshooters. When WB left Block Island they had already but out whole corn which killed approximately 60 deer on the island. So yes, I think it is relevant; the same thing may happen on Staten Island that happened on Block Island.

23-Jun-16
Here comes Glen, back on the insane train! Toot toot!

Type lies and bogosity on Bowsite and POOF, it's true. For more lies, tune into Airrow's posts on Bowsite, brought to you by FoxNews, Fair and Balanced.

23-Jun-16

nehunter's Link
Has anyone looked at an Arial map of the Island? Its 75% Cement/Asphalt and 20% water, the rest is swampy woodlands. It shouldn't be to hard to bait Deer (Winter) into 10 different areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Staten+Island,+NY/@40.577781,-74.1731127,14065m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c245ef79f4d4e7:0x50271f8534babc78!8m2!3d40.5795317!4d-74.1502007

23-Jun-16
So Scotty

guess nothing is biting in Canada on your fishing trip?

Is darting of deer legal on the island? Is that is the management book? No of course not. But if the government says it's ok, you know like using high powered rifles at night in Redding, then it's legal, right?

So follow me here, if the city of NY says crossbows at night over bait are legal as a one time deer reduction method, that would be legal too. See, not complicated at all.

Airrow was trying to make same point. When a deer reduction program is in place it's not covered by the normal game laws. So using corn is ok. Just like a watershed that is usually closed to hunting allows a one time deer reduction program.

23-Jun-16
" Deer population explodes on Staten Island; jumps from 24 to 763 in six years "

In the absence of significant mortality, deer populations can double in size in two years, according to Howard Kilpatrick, a biologist in the Department of Environmental Protection's Wildlife Division.

If we start with 24 deer on Staten Island in 2008 and the deer herd doubles every two years our deer population would be - 192 deer in 2014. If we are to believe that the deer population on Staten Island in 2014 is - 763 deer; 571 of those deer or 74.83% came from outside of Staten Island.

This practice is noting new, CT has been doing it for the past 15 years....stating they have 3X-4X the number of deer that are actually there.

23-Jun-16
Right NE. A truly urban environment with half a million people on 60 square miles.

Bob. The NYC chief of police said no way to weapons discharge. Period. And said yes to darts from dart guns, which are not considered a weapon or a firearm. So you still think that hunting is the solution, at night, over bait, using crossbows in NYC to reducing deer? Are you completely delusional? This is New York City we are talking about. Right? So we are on the same page?

And here we go again with Glen's campaign that everyone else is involved in a conspiracy to inflate deer density. So old and so played. New strategy needed.

23-Jun-16
Big Buck Bob,

I'm only responding to your posts and comments, Perhaps you should curtail some of your comments if you dont like the responses

23-Jun-16
bb

no, no, no. You're not just responding to my posts. It took me several tries just to get you to answer the question about the proposed program and then you resorted to name calling.

When I argue a point with someone and they start saying you're a crazy old lady or ignorant of the facts (strange how opinions can become facts to some) then I know the other person has run out of logical responses, so resort to personal attacks.

Like I said before, I don't get offended it's just your way of arguing a point. Not very mature, but it's your way.

Scotty and BB - bottomline for me, this program won't work. There are no facts to argue about concerning this program, it's all opinion since it's never been done before. My opinion is it's a failure waiting to happen. Let's see who's right.

23-Jun-16
I'm not responding to your posts? Maybe you ought to re- read and try to understand the words I'm using... Just because I'm not giving you the answers you want doesn't mean I'm not responding. It's ot worth it this obviously upsets you way more than you let on. If you don't want to be likened to a crazy old lady, stop acting like it.

23-Jun-16
lets catch them in fences and ship them up state .

24-Jun-16
Why couldn't they just put them on ferries and ship them around the country where needed,a deer flotilla...which raises the question,ginger or MaryAnn ?...

24-Jun-16
If you guys are serious about relocation to . . . wherever, know that something like 75% relocated animals die within the first year of relocation.

24-Jun-16
BB -I'm not upset in the least. You're placing value on your comments that I simply don't share, so why would I be upset? Name calling is just something that shows lack of character and the lack of ability to argue a point logically.

And I didn't say you're NOT responding to my post. You need to stop, take a breath and re-read.

"You're not just responding to my posts". This means that along with responding you're name calling.

sincerely - Crazy old lady

24-Jun-16
I'm pretty sure you're upset. If you could see my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, You might not be as upset as you are, then again, maybe you would be.

24-Jun-16
No, not at all. I love a good argument. Name calling is just a pet peeve on mine because it takes away from any serious conversation and turns into personal attacks. Makes no sense when you don't know the other person. I am old, 65, but not a lady. And remember, with age comes wisdom.

I've had phone conversations with a few of the guys on the site, and they will tell you I like to argue points that strike me as interesting, and taxpayers' money is one topic that is near and dear to my heart.

I think we exhausted this thread anyway. At least I think I have.

Scotty - how about you? Any parting comments?

24-Jun-16
Wisdom,who knew!!! I thought it was constant diaper change...

24-Jun-16
Dr Williams that makes me feel really awesome about the fate of the dang chipmunks I've "considered" relocating. Better still about the woodchuck that has been smashing the gardens. Grrr.

As for this whole plan. Seems to me, that situations like this would have to seek out exemptions to normal rules. It's not hunting. It's some place between a wildlife "management" experiment and a public safety issue.

As a result, it seems we cant apply normal logic or rules from a hunting direction to this kind of situation. Doing so feels like saying oranges taste great so potato's suck. Very little to do with one another overall.

So long as the community is ok with the expenditure of the money, I have no issue with it.

People pay for the "greater good" all the time - it's the brutal reality of taxes. Ultimately "we" wouldnt pay for the "greater good" unless "we" were forced to. It's frustrating when you see so much dang waste at various government levels... but ultimately, "we" tend to be to selfish to truly help the greater good so "we" were forced to pay taxes to a government. Note I'm not saying "we" as in those in this discussion, I'm talking about society on a whole.

No, I'm not a Bernie guy. I'm self employed and feel the literal BURN when I attempt to pay myself through out the year due to paying for "the greater good" - and the resulting waste.

My point though, is that, sadly, "most" people wouldnt even pay to the greater good if it was solely for police and fire and military. So would they pay for it so they stopped having collisions with deer while driving or losing landscaping etc? No way. Only the craziest would volunteer that unless they were directly and strongly related (totaled a few cars hitting deer).

I dont mean to digress to ridiculous levels...

Overall, I strongly dislike the concept of this type of thing overall. I get some situations just are not reasonably safe to implement hunting... but people start to see this approach as viable in place of hunting and we are in deep sneakers over the next few decades. Ugh.

But, if staten island has the budget, and wants to hire someone to reduce the deer population on the island... That's on them. I can disagree with the concept... But in this case, I dont have an alternative to the challenge they have from a public safety perspective. Not sure anyone else does either, which is why "they" came to the conclusion that this approach was all they could do.

24-Jun-16
"I am old, 65, but not a lady. And remember, with age comes wisdom."

So the crazy part is accurate?

I think it has a better ring than Bigbuck bob...but that's just me.

24-Jun-16
Yes, absolutely crazy! Life is too short to be anything but.

24-Jun-16
If 75% die within the first year how did Noah do it with only 2 of every thing....hmmmm.dr smartiepants..lol

24-Jun-16
What I can glean from this thread is that most of you guys will stand for nothing other than hunting for deer reduction, despite the fact that hunting can only get densities to a certain threshold. And when that threshold is achieved, the tides turn and accusing biologists of lying and multiple government conspiracies and "follow the money" is the norm. And even in the most extreme urban situation, nothing other than hunting will be tolerated, even when prohibited by law, politically unacceptable, and a direct threat to public safety. And yet, when asked to provide a reasonable alternative, it cannot be done. So, I say, every situation is unique and sometimes, hunting just isn't the answer. But as Will mentioned earlier, if hunters reversed their thought process and projected inward and figured out how they could be more effective, more opportunity would exist, but there still would be exceptions, like Staten Island. We will see what happens. Stay tuned.

26-Jun-16
"Oh crap!! Scotty got beamed back up."

"Scotty - so do you really expect us to believe"

"Scotty your buddy Tony couldn't do it in Redding"

"And when you resort to name calling I know you have nothing factual to argue your point. I suggest you leave that on school yard and try to have a mature discussion."

"You're not just responding to my posts". This means that along with responding you're name calling."

No, not at all. I love a good argument. Name calling is just a pet peeve on mine because it takes away from any serious conversation and turns into personal attacks.

"Makes no sense when you don't know the other person. I am old, 65, but not a lady. And remember, with age comes wisdom."

I was going to let this go, but I think I should point this out. I find this very ironic, Bob. I'm pretty sure, in fact I would bet my last nickel that addressing the Doc as "Scotty" is not meant as a term of endearment. In fact it strikes me as being and intended to be very condesending especially since I highly doubt you are on a very personal level with the Doc. At the very least it's intended to be disrespectful.

So I wouldn't be portraying such a holier....attitude, at least if you are going to talk the talk then walk the walk.. At what point does your age actually begin to produce wisdom?

26-Jun-16
Sorry but this has been tried on a much smaller scale in other places in the country and it did not work, or at least something similar. "Life finds a way". It does and always will, that is why even humans will survive and live on long after we try and kill everyone of us somehow, like plague, bombs or just a stupid mistake. Shawn

26-Jun-16
Hi Deerman. Where else has this been tried? I'm just curious. I'm pretty well versed in this stuff and just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks.

27-Jun-16
bb - if you think addressing someone by their name is disrespectful then you have a very warped sense of values. Scotty vs "Crazy Old Lady?" Which one is name calling? You can call me Bob, Bobby, Robert, or Rob if you'd like. So show your disrespect for me in that manner and we have no problem.

And I don't portray a holier than thou attitude, I merely stated I don't like name calling. I sense you have a twinge of guilt.

I thought this thread was about the Staten Island project?

27-Jun-16
The state of Indiana ruled out sterilization as a means to controlling deer populations.

Indiana stated that deer sterilization was - "costly, requires annual maintenance, IDNR does not support this method in free-ranging environments, and because this technique is not approved by the IDNR in free-ranging environment and is costly, this is not a viable option."

27-Jun-16
Oh bobby, I'm sure I hit the nail on the head with this. I wonder if the Doc's colleagues show respect by addressing him as Scotty? Or even his mother for that matter?

Spin it anyway you want but I doubt you could convince anyone that that was intended as anything but derrogatory.

A twinge of guilt? ...Nah, I freely admit guilt. That was intended as a jab at you, It was said in jest but a jab nevertheless.

27-Jun-16
My girlfriend in high used to call me Bobby, I really liked it. In fact, some 45 years later I was in a store and from behind me I hear "Hi Bobby" I turned around and there she was! I guess crazy old lady is being substituted with Bobby, a step in the right direction, good job.

As for Mr. Williams - I've used Scott, Scotty, Doc, Dr Williams, etc. Still don't understand why you think I'm trying to show disrespect, but I guess that's your problem to figure out, not mine.

And in my world, people earn respect, they don't get as part of a higher education degree. It didn't say anything on my diploma about "This entitles the bearer to RESPECT"

BTW - I'm starting to understand what your handle "BB" stands for. :)

27-Jun-16
" I guess crazy old lady is being substituted with Bobby, a step in the right direction, good job."

Well it could be worse, there are several other substitutions for Old lady I can think of.

"BTW - I'm starting to understand what your handle "BB" stands for. :)"

Just so you don't feel special, I'm all about equal opportunity, No one is immune, especially my best friends.

27-Jun-16
Ahhh, BB are we best friends now? Isn't that special.

I was hoping to get a reaction about the sterilization plan in Indiana being shot down due to it being too costly, requiring yearly maintenance and not viable.

How about a cattle drive across the water back to NJ where the deer probably came from?

27-Jun-16
I wouldn't go that far, just don't want you getting all warm and fuzzy.

27-Jun-16
Do you have a link to the Indiana study? Was it male sterilization in an extremely urban setting? I don't disagree lethal means is most effective, but it is not feasible in some situations, particularly this one. Bob, if you still believe that sterilization is not a solution, I'm still waiting for your suggestion for a viable solution that would actually work in the urban jungle of NYC. I'm all ears.

27-Jun-16
My idea would be to dart them and sell them to states such as Maine that could re-introduce some. It worked with elk so why not deer? It would be a win win for all states involved.

27-Jun-16
I could actually imagine this working over time on a place like Staten Island. I'm taking a leap of faith here and assuming that there is no great influx of deer moving between the Island and the mainland on a regular basis. I'm making the assumption that an occasional deer swims over now and then, which in my mind would be manageable.

However move a few hours east to Shelter Island and I don't see it as a viable alternative in that kind of environment. The deer can and do move on and off the Island with regularity and the environment is totally different. Plus hunting or shooting on Shelter Island is an option.

I think in a nutshell there are situations where this has some potential as a solution. Time will tell

27-Jun-16
Spike, the difference is Maine has Deer, The Elk was a different story, they didn't exist at all in the states where this took place. I doubt a state would want to spend money getting transplanted deer to add to a herd they already have. Is the herd in Maine in trouble?

27-Jun-16
Bb, they have been unsuccessful for years in getting the population up in Northern Maine.

27-Jun-16
Intuitively it doesn't seem to me a stocking program would be anything more than a band aid then. It seems to me there is a deeper underlying symptom that would have to be addressed first. Having no first hand knowledge of the goings on in Maine, has there been anything published as to the reasons why?

The other thing that comes to mind, could deer be successfully transplanted from a relatively mild environment such as Staten Island to the substantially harsher conditions in Northern Maine and be expected to survive?

27-Jun-16
"If you guys are serious about relocation to . . . wherever, know that something like 75% relocated animals die within the first year of relocation."

From the Doc's previous Post. I have no reason to doubt this stat, so It would seem to me that moving animals from A mild by comparison climate to northern maine would be a losing battle and a substantial waste of money.

27-Jun-16
Bob, they say it's because the loggers cleared out winter yarding areas.

27-Jun-16
BB is right. Relocated deer do not survive, particularly those transplanted from a mild climate like in coastal NY to harsh winter climates like northern ME. It would not work, the deer would die, and then you'd have guys like Glen and Bob complaining about what a waste of taxpayer money it was.

27-Jun-16
Scott, I'd gladly take them here in western MA.

27-Jun-16
Unfortunately, they'd die there too. It's that home range behavior and territoriality that is engrained in them from the time they were a fawn. To pluck them out of that and drop them in a foreign territory just blows that survival strategy. Whether it be in ME, western MA, or 20 miles down the road.

28-Jun-16
Hmmm,I see deer cross the ny line into Danbury all the time...so how did they do it in the old days with the elk from co to Penn.

28-Jun-16
Scott - seems that other EXPERTS in the field of wildlife management agree with me, not you.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation must also approve the plan. The department has said deer fertility control programs have “limited effectiveness.” It only permits such programs if they’re part of a scientific study.

Experts think the city would be nuts to sterilize male deer to control Staten Island's growing herd.

"It's difficult for me to come up with all the reasons why this is a really stupid plan," said Bernd Blossey, a ecologist at Cornell University who consulted City Hall on deer management strategies in November. "It's ridiculous from the onset."

Several wildlife experts said the plan won't work because the city is ignoring basic deer biology and conventional herd management practices, not to mention past attempts.

"This plan has very low likelihood of success," said Paul Curtis, another ecologist at Cornell who was part of the city's interagency deer task force. A few bucks in Ithaca, N.Y. were given vasectomies as part of a multi-year study on deer controls in and around the campus there.

"We could only do three vasectomies -- it wasn't safe for the deer and wasn't safe for us," Curtis said.

28-Jun-16
Scott - and still more EXPERTS weigh in on the Staten Island plan. Still agreeing with me, not you. Doesn't look promising for Tony.

An unchecked and expanding herd can harm forests and private property, spread tick-borne illness like Lyme disease and wander into roads more often, increasing the risk for deadly vehicle collisions.

Some experts said the city's plan won't really counter any of that. Sterilizing borough bucks is expected to cut the population by 10 to 30 percent, but hundreds of deer that remain could still wreak havoc even without reproduction because they can live a decade or more

Spread of Lyme disease, collisions, impact on native vegetation or animals -- that will continue, Blossey said. And that's under a best-case scenario that assumes all bucks are sterilized.

A deer specialist at the Michigan Department of Natural Resources -- which had to approve the Ann Arbor cull -- called the Staten Island sterilization plan "short-sighted."

"This is a future solution to a problem that exists today," deer specialist Chad Stewart said.

28-Jun-16
This is the way I see it....You can't compare an Elk Transplant to a whitetail transplant. Apples and Oranges. Elk are a completely different animal than whitetail. Elk are migratory by nature, they don't have a defined home range at least not the way you would think of a whitetails home range.

Also, I think you have to look at each area and let it stand on it's own merits. What didn't work at Cornell for example wouldn't necessarily mean that it wouldn't someplace else. It seems hard to give an Ecologist that tried this with a sample size of 3, in a different geographical area a whole lot of credence.

"A deer specialist at the Michigan Department of Natural Resources -- which had to approve the Ann Arbor cull -- called the Staten Island sterilization plan "short-sighted."

"This is a future solution to a problem that exists today," deer specialist Chad Stewart said."

I'lll buy both of the above statements, this very well could be true, however, given the circumstances in Staten Island, did the deer specialist from Michigan offer a viable alternative?

People can and will poke holes in every idea known to man and find some degree of fault with it. The trick is to find a reasonable plan for the existing circumstances. The limitations on Staten Island have been listed, now come up with a workable plan. It doesn't have to be 100% fool proof, few plans are, but If shooting them is out of the question and moving them is not an option. Don't forget you can only move them if you find a place that will take them. Also if it will kill most of the deer anyway, why do it?

I'm not saying this is a great idea, but how many options really exist given the restrictions?

28-Jun-16
Crossbows!

If hunting is not allowed then give Tony (yes, I'm really saying this) permission to use crossbows instead of dart guns and reduce the problem quickly. Of course in a couple of years the problem returns and that means more money for Tony, but it should cost the taxpayers a lot less than doing surgery on deer.

Why won't they do this? The anti's will march on the mayor's office, so it's politics and not commonsense.

Cities just don't have the money to pay $2 mil for animal control when budgets are being cut for education, road repairs, health care, etc.

28-Jun-16
It's NY city! You're trying to impose your ways or ideas on people that don't want them. Also, what's the difference whether it's a hand held bow or a cross bow in that environment? Both have far greater range and potential to do damage than a dart.

Also regarding trapping and moving a large quantity of white tails to another location. Just consider the expense and logistics nightmare that would present. I can imagine the cost easily exceeding the vasectomy route. Imagine filling a truck with high strung whitetails and trying to keep them alive for a trip from Staten Island to Northern ME. Just consider for a moment what that would entail.

28-Jun-16

airrow's Link
Staten Island, NY has - 12,336 acres of open green space or 19.275 square miles; nearly 1/3 of the Island has been preserved.

28-Jun-16
bb

"People can and will poke holes in every idea known to man and find some degree of fault with it. The trick is to find a reasonable plan for the existing circumstances"

Darting is illegal = crossbow is illegal. Dart leaves deer on the island = crossbow eliminates deer immediately. Dart/surgery expensive. Crossbow/dead deer not so expensive. Darted deer run a long distance. Crossbow deer run shorter distance. Darted deer don't feed the homeless. Crossbow deer feed the homeless.

Why is ok for you and the Doc to shoot down the ideas of others, but we can't criticize the dart plan? Come on and play fair or I'm leaving the sandbox :(

28-Jun-16
airrow

WHAT? You mean deer aren't actually living and surviving on the subway system or the alley ways? That there's some actual greenways where deer can eat and bed down? I never heard of such a thing! How's this possible when Doc and BB have clearly pointed out that this is NYC with 500k people, not Redding CT.

Sounds like there are some great spots where the deer are concentrated into natural funnels for those crossbow experts that Tony has to set up some stands.

Naw!! Sounds too reasonable. And hunting is illegal, just like baiting and darting deer are illegal today.

28-Jun-16
Let's see:

Freshkills Park LaTourette Park Great Kill Park Clove Lakes Park Todd Hill Deere Park On and on.

And some of the names of the place you can shoot a crossbow have the best names - Freshkills and Great Kills parks!! It's destiny!! Some good stretches of open space between those high rises!

28-Jun-16
BBB, did you have an extra shot of espresso in your Dunkin Donuts coffee this morning lol.

28-Jun-16
Airrow, Bobby,

I understand you guys are frustrated that the borough is not seeing things your way, I know that you're frustrated there is dissent here, I get that. I would rather kill the deer than dart them personally. I can't speak for the Doc, but the holes I'm shooting in your arguments are easy to do, anybody can and will do it. You can criticize the dart plan all you want, do you just be able to criticize the plan without getting different points of view? You should have made this debate free.

You guys are beating your heads against the wall wanting a different plan that the entity that makes the rules isn't willing to do. There has to be a defenition of insanity in there somewhere.

Look the way i'm reading this, amongst all the other hurdles that have been cited, the community collectively doesn't want the deer killed.....i would call that a fairly substantial hurdle to over come.

28-Jun-16
Disregard the debate free part, I'm reading this from my cell phone, cant always keep track of who I' responding to. And Bobby, somehow I doubt you're going to pick up your toys and go home

28-Jun-16
Bob, again, discharge of weapons including crossbows, bows, and rifles is illegal within NYC city limits. I agree that would be the best solution, but it is not an option. BB is right on again about elk and white-tails, they are a different animal, literally. And he's right on with the area specific deer management. relocation is not an option. The Cornell crew, while working good stuff with lethal removal, have captured and experimented with sterilization on exactly 3 deer. Does that make them experts on surgical sterilization? I think not. WB crew have captured 1000s of deer and surgically sterilized 100s of male and female deer over the past several years. I'd say they are the experts. Tony called Paul Curtis after that article came out and Paul apologized and deferred to WB as the experts in this field. We will see what happens. And I'm still waiting for a viable alternative from BBB given all the politics and limitations in this case.

28-Jun-16
spike - don't need espresso, do this stone, cold sober:)

bb - I think a lively exchange of ideas is healthy, especially for a topic where you're personally involved, as in spending tax dollars wisely,....or not.

If I were in a position of authority - I would challenge the "community" to provide the $2 mil in funding as a separate line item rather than taking the money from some other budget item. OR, have them come up with another solution to the deer problem.

I'm guessing the "community" is as sick and tired as I am of having the government spend my money foolishly; and that would prompt them look at crossbows, either by WB or hunters paying to hunt the parks I've listed, rather than spending my tax dollars.

I guess this is more about "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" and not so much about sterilizing deer or shooting them. Where do we draw the line on taxing the people? When do we stop spending money we don't have on a program that doesn't eliminate the problem, it just kicks the can down the road?

Looking at the map - I still say there's plenty of open space to fire off an arrow or bolt.

28-Jun-16
So Glen, shouldn't deer density be calculated based on that 19.3 square miles of deer habitat instead of the entire island? So 1200 deer /19.3 square miles = 62 deer/square mile!!!! That is pretty high density. And Bobbo, you are correct. They are not living in the subways, they are living in the open space, which is a fraction of the island.

28-Jun-16
Bob, I'm with you on the issues of government wasting taxpayer money. However the thing you seem to be forgetting is you are dealing with NYC, there is nothing about that place that makes any sense. in terms of wasting taxpayer money there, this doesn't even show up on the radar.

28-Jun-16

28-Jun-16
So Scotty - should make it easy for WB to pick them off with crossbows or darts based upon your density calculations. I agree with your deer density math as well, they should be shoulder to shoulder in the parks.

BTW - The official report from 2014 said there were 763 deer on the island, and some ecologists think there "maybe" more than 1,000 there now. If the scientific community believes that deer populations can double in 2 years than there might be as many as 1,526? WOW! I think we need more than $2 mil.

28-Jun-16
Bob. Discharge of a bolt, arrow, or rifle is illegal within NYC limits. When are you going to comprehend this? Crossbows fired by WB or hunters, are not a legal option. This is not deer management according to Bob Maguda. This is real life.

28-Jun-16
Ok Bob. Let's go with the minimal deer estimate and the amount of open space that Glen so kindly provided. 763 deer / 19.3 square miles = 39.5 deer/square mile. Just like Redding! Still too many deer for a borough of NYC. Clearly too many for the public to deal with, hence the $2 million allotted to solving the problem legally and politically.

28-Jun-16
Scott - darting and baiting is ALSO ILLEGAL on the island, when are you going to comprehend that? That's why it had to be approved, just like crossbows could be approved if they wanted to do it.

28-Jun-16
Maybe " Odocoileus " can tell us how he came up with the number 1200 deer or even 763 for the deer population on Staten Island ? Has he seen the 2014 Survey or even the 2016 FLIR survey.

"If we start with 24 deer on Staten Island in 2008 and the deer herd doubles every two years our deer population would be approximately 192 deer in 2014. If we are to believe that the deer population on Staten Island in 2014 is - 763 deer; 571 of those deer or 74.83% came from outside of Staten Island."

If you start with 24 deer and have an increase in the herd, doubling every two years (a 50% fawn recruitment) the most you could have is approximately 384 deer in 8 years. The figure 763 deer in 2014 is with 4X applied ( 2008-2014). We have seen this same thing in Connecticut over the last 15 years whenever they promote the destruction of deer; Redding, CT Lyme study (30+ dpsm), Greenwich, CT (60 dpsm), Ridgefield,CT (48 dpsm), etc, etc.

On 6/24/16 we requested through FOIA the 2014 deer survey, 2016 FLIR deer survey and any contract between WB and the city of Staten Island, NY.

28-Jun-16
Scott - I agree, there's too many and I never disputed that fact. Whether it's 736 or 1536 it doesn't matter to me. What matter's to me is that government spending is out of control.

"hence the $2 million allotted to solving the problem legally and politically."

Your view that the sterilization program is being accepted as politically correct is not what I'm seeing. Several experts are disputing the plan as I mentioned above, so although it's not the friends of animal disputing the plan, there those that strongly disagree with it and calling it a waste of money.

28-Jun-16
See Bob, the difference is that in the baiting regs Glen provided, #5 was a stipulation that baiting can occur if used for deer reduction/management purposes, which this clearly is. Nowhere in the NYC laws does it say that discharge of a weapon is illegal, unless for deer management. And the Chief of Police does not consider dart guns a weapon. Therefore, baiting is legal per state ordinance as part of a deer management program, as is discharge of a dart gun per the NYC Chief of Police and is also not considered a firearm. You are not going to win this one, no matter how hard you try.

Glen, just going with the numbers I have read in the papers and those numbers provided by you on this thread. Good luck with the FOIA, if they grant it to you. Not sure what you are going to find, just like you found nothing with the Redding project. When are you going to release the results of the 4-town VisionAir survey? Did you even do it? If you did, let me guess, single digit deer densities, again??

29-Jun-16
Doc - my point is simple, so maybe that's why you can't understand it. IF,...... I'm saying IF,.... any municipality wanted to make a deer herd reduction program LEGAL by baiting, high powered rifles at night (sound familiar yet?), and hiring a 3rd party, oh let's call them WB, they could. I'm SURE you can agree on that, correct?

So, this is not about winning (at least not in my mind) this is about providing a different approach to solve the deer problem other than spending $2 mil dollars of taxpayer money. I know, it's not my money, I don't live on Staten Island, unless of course they have a federal grant, then it most certainly is partly my money. Remember now, the federal government gets their money from,......wait for it,......the taxpayers like me and you.

29-Jun-16
Scott

after doing a little research I came across an article that really interesting. Here's just a one paragraph.

"In 2008, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation conducted a survey of Staten Island’s deer population. The biologist who searched the woods estimated there were approximately 24 white-tailed deer in the borough. Last winter, the New York City Parks Department conducted an aerial, infrared survey of the island and found 793 individuals — an apparent 3,304 percent increase in just six years."

Now - I HAVE listened to you say several times that deer can double their population in a 2 year period, so how does 24 turn into 763 in 6 years?

I said before, I don't care how many deer are on the island, but this is why "ignorant" hunters like myself don't trust anything that comes from the mouths of the people managing our deer herd. 24 to 763 makes no sense! And neither does sterilization!

29-Jun-16
Bob, this is NYC, New York City, not just any municipality, New York City. Does that sink in? Staten Island has over 8000 people per square mile, Redding has 290 people/square mile, 27 times fewer. This is not big apples to big apples. There simply will never be a law change to permit legal discharge of a weapon within New York City limits, regardless of intent. Come on man. And this is not a federal grant, it's NYC taxpayer money. Do you pay taxes in NYC? I know I don't.

29-Jun-16
Scoot - you need to do your research. A candidate for mayor on the island proposed hunting as a viable means to control the deer population. He stated that there are SEVERAL places on the island where bow hunting would work. His only concern was anti's protesting. So the people that live there and run for office there agree with me, not you!

Also - other biologists have stated that if a doe is not bred during the normal rut it WILL go into heat several more times, attracting bucks from miles away. So sterilizing SOME of the bucks on the island will not solve the problem if other bucks are attracted to the doe in heat.

"Under normal conditions, all female whitetails go into heat within several weeks of each other and become pregnant at around the same time. This annual event is called the rut. However, if a doe is not impregnated during the rut, it will enter heat again the following month and again the month after that. Because the ligated does were unable to become pregnant, they continued to produce chemical signals of readiness to reproduce — signals that can attract bucks from miles away."

This was another FAILED attempt to lower the deer population by tying the tubes of the doe, only to discover the deer population remained constant due to the doe attracting bucks from outside the normal range.

Federal Grant Money - the word IF means there's uncertainty, so IF there's federal grant money means just that. Stay on track Scott and stop twisting what others say, that's very bad habit you have.

29-Jun-16
I didn't mean to mis-spell your name, fat finger. Sorry about that Scott.

29-Jun-16
Hey Bob, right, a candidate for mayor said that, not the mayor himself who actually has any pull. And you are exactly correct about does having tubal ligations continuing to go into estrous and attracting bucks from far away. And you are right this was "another FAILED attempt to lower the deer population by tying the tubes of the doe." And that crew then resorted to ovariectomies which prevented the does from cycling. And do you know which crew that was? Your "experts" from Cornell (Curtis and Blossey) that you have been blasting all over this site that have been so critical of the proposed project, which has nothing to do with doe sterilization. So it seems your "expert's" opinion doesn't hold much weight now does it?

29-Jun-16
Like I said before LIKE A BAD RASH!!!!! I think that he just likes to hear himself.Its not your money who give a #$%^

29-Jun-16
Doc once again my point was simple. The people that live on the island have ALSO suggested hunting as means of controlling the deer population and they have also stated there is space available to do it; contrary to what you have said from your CAES office in CT. So check the map of Staten Island, you'll find several large green spaces.

If the does on the island are not bred they will go into heat several times, just like in the Cornell incident, so sterilizing some bucks has little to no impact if the doe are still drawing in other bucks that have not been sterilized.

I find it amazing that you not only discount what hunters say, but also others in the scientific community which you seem to hold in such high regard (when they contradict you version of the science) when arguing a point with ignorant hunters. Having it both ways is a great way to argue a point. :)

Pellet - I do love to hear myself talk, but that's pretty obvious. And I hope that bad rash you have is treated quickly so you don't pass it along to others. You're being a stand up guy for disclosing it, I give you that much.

29-Jun-16
Actually Bob, I'm on vacation this week. And Bob, do you think the Bucks know they're sterile? Do you think does exhibiting repeated estrus cycles are only pulling in fertile bucks?? No. A vasectomy does nothing to the hormone levels and sterile bucks continue to engage in breeding behavior and compete for does and grow and retain antlers, they are just shooting blanks. This is not castration. Very different procedures that result in very different reproductive behaviors. See in a castration, the testes are removed and that does all sorts of things to reproductive behaviors and bucks become disinterested in breeding altogether. I'm guessing this is what you are assuming happens. That's where you are wrong and it is very much unlike the Cornell study, because this is on an ISLAND. Bucks are not going to swim from Jersey because some does are cycling a couple extra times.

29-Jun-16
If the 2008 and the current deer numbers are correct, it's pretty likely that deer are coming from somewhere else.

I know it's inconvenient to consider this if you've promised significant deer reduction, but ... it seem significant.

29-Jun-16
And I think you should lead the legislative charge to propose hunting in a city of 8.55 million people. Let's see how that goes. . .

29-Jun-16
Couldn't you find a different place to play!!!!!!

29-Jun-16
BBB just curious do you work?

29-Jun-16
Pellet - do you work? What's got to do with Staten Island deer? Oh I see. You can't argue the topic so you want to try to divert the thread to me personally. Nice try.

Tell you what pellet - I think I've said everything I needed to say about this topic so just to make you happy, I'll leave thread to others to discuss.

I wonder if BB works? I wonder if Scott works (when he's not on vacation)? I wonder if pellet works?

29-Jun-16
Was just wondering if your salary is as much of a waste as the 2million. Seems like you have plenty of time to be on this web page .Your poor employer!!!! Get to work slacker!!! And yes I do.

29-Jun-16
Like a bad rash!!!! Anybody got some cream?

29-Jun-16

Mike in CT's Link

Sometimes this site makes me feel like Michael Coreleone in "The Godfather, Part III"; "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

I was just going to watch this thread but just too many instances of incorrect information being repeated as gospel to let it go.

The link is to shed light (hopefully) on how it's pretty much a given that any time the public health is used to provide funding for any project in any state in the US every person that pays Federal income tax has some skin in the game.

From what I've read it appears that at least some of the funding for this study is coming via that route.

That being said, in the interest of full disclosure with almost 95 million Americans paying FIT in 2015 the potential out-of-pocket per person would be about $0.20; so, I guess that means we'll have to forgo getting whipped cream on a couple of our Coolattas....

The video is to demonstrate just one of the sources of the influx of deer to Staten Island and to me highlights a major issue with the proposed sterilization approach.

Absent the video it was readily apparent there was an ongoing influx of deer; the NY DEC survey of 2008 showed approximately 24 deer on Staten Island, the 2014 aerial survey estimated the population had grown to 763 deer. Assuming a doubling of the population every 2 years (as Howard Kilpatrick put forth in the CT 2006 Guide to Managing Urban Deer) that would put the population in 2014 at 192 deer, and that would be with zero mortality per year for the 6 years, something highly unlikely. An average influx between 22-25 deer per year would put the population pretty close to the 2014 survey number.

The issue as I see it with sterilization as proposed is you start out with the contractor stating a goal of "hopefully 90%" of the bucks; an acknowledgment of the reality that 100% is not likely. Given that unbred does will cycle as late as March there's a good likelihood that the untreated 10% (or greater) will breed some of those does and certainly the obvious influx of off-island deer will contribute to "unauthorized breeding on Jurassic Park", err Staten Island.

That's problem #1. Problem #2 as yet unaddressed is the obvious reality that because of the factors just discussed there will need to be a maintenance program of some sort to keep the population level down. To continue the sterilization program continues the cost with the same pitfalls and ultimately less than desired outcome.

Another misperception appears to be the unsuitability of any type of hunting (sharpshooting?) on Staten Island. To those unfamiliar with Staten Island the bulk of these deer are concentrated in sizable pockets of habitat that is very much like some of the pockets of forested habitat in Zones 11 & 12 in CT. (Link below gives a flavor for some of this habitat)

http://sigreenbelt.org/

I've had the benefit of working for a leading medical diagnostics company and working with teaching hospitals such as Staten Island University Hospital and Richmond University Medical Center since 1999, so I've had time to gain some familiarity with my favorite of the 5 boroughs.

So anyway, back to the crux of the discussion; what to do with too many deer?

As Bob has alluded to there has been discussion of allowing hunting (FYI-even Mayor Di Blasio is open to lethal means of population control, including hunting:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/03/de_blasio_wont_rule_out_killin.html)

From my perspective this decision to try the non-lethal approach is classic politics trumping common sense. A deer cull would be a far more cost-effective means than the sterilization program and the inescapable reality is that dead deer don't breed.

As this is being touted as a public health issue real leadership would press the need for a cull and tell the anti's and tree-huggers that fiscal responsibility and most likely best outcome trumps emotion, sorry.

A cull could be contracted out (an expense but much less than the non-lethal option) or it could either be performed by the NY DEC or the borough could hire it's own deer warden (this would actually generate tax revenue for Staten Island and might be a win-win for them.)

If anyone wants to comment on any of this and can do so in a constructive manner I'm more than willing to continue a productive dialogue.

If anyone wants to turn this into the internet equivalent of WWE, sorry, I've got much better ways to spend my time.

29-Jun-16
No federal money Mike, none. The Mayor said no lethal, none. So they put the money aside and received bids and opted with this one, a strictly non-lethal approach. Do you think the WB crew wants to spend time capturing and sterilizing animals when it is so much easier and effective to kill them? So you guys cry in your beer because WB was killing deer in Redding and now it's "non-lethal approach is classic politics trumping common sense." So now you want WB to kill the deer?? Why is this so confusing? Why is it not okay for WB to kill deer in Redding, but when they present a non-lethal approach in Staten Island, you want them to kill the deer instead? What?

29-Jun-16
No federal money Mike, none. The Mayor said no lethal, none.

One of the components is public health education; the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene receives funding from the State (which receives federal funding) and directly from the Federal government.

The Mayor said no lethal, none.

Well, so much for your thorough perusal of my post. Please do try to pay attention next time so I don't have to re-post:

"As Bob has alluded to there has been discussion of allowing hunting (FYI-even Mayor Di Blasio is open to lethal means of population control, including hunting:"

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/03/de_blasio_wont_rule_out_killin.html)

Let me know if you'd like an explanation of the meaning of "open to lethal means of population control including hunting"; always glad to lend a hand to the needy.

So they put the money aside and received bids and opted with this one, a strictly non-lethal approach.

I've been writing contracts for the NY State DOH and NYC DOH&MH for over a dozen years; they don't "put money aside"; every line item is accounted for and at times funds are actually received as much as months after the FY actually starts, the ultimate "shoe-string buget." They wish they had money put away.

Perhaps in your contracting experience with these agencies you haven't run into this reality.

So you guys cry in your beer because WB was killing deer in Redding and now it's "non-lethal approach is classic politics trumping common sense."

The topic at hand is Staten Island and as that was the sole focus of my post if you want to respond with something constructive it would be greatly facilitated if you would stay on topic. Of course, this is making the assumption that you might have something substantive to offer to this particular discussion.

On a cost-efficiency scale it's not even remotely a contest; a cull is likely to be more effective and cost significantly less. Basic economics, something discarded in favor of political correctness, so "politics trumping common sense" is the perfect analogy.

So now you want WB to kill the deer?? Why is this so confusing?

I haven't stated a desire (want) for anything; I have laid out a clear and concise rationale for getting a better ROI, again, basic economics. If it's confusing I can recommend a good Econ book or perhaps you could audit a class somewhere (that's free).

Why is it not okay for WB to kill deer in Redding, but when they present a non-lethal approach in Staten Island, you want them to kill the deer instead? What?

Try to focus on the discussion please; the point is what is the most cost-effective means of addressing the problem on Staten Island. If you've got something of value to add to the discussion please do.

If your response above is all you've got to offer than kindly refrain from posting and start that thread I mentioned where you can more fully vent your spleen to whatever audience is so inclined to participate.

Thank you.

29-Jun-16
Snore. Same old Mike.

30-Jun-16
Mike

SWEET! You do an excellent job of laying the facts for everyone.

And I love the guy talking on the video, sounded like a soldier in Coreleone army.

30-Jun-16
Hey Bob. You couldn't resist kissing up to Mike could you? What happened to ". . . I'll leave thread to others to discuss." And what I have learned from you over the years are that facts are only "fact" when Big Buck Bob agrees with them. Do you know what a fact is Bob?

Fact: something that actually exists; reality; truth:

So you think Mike is saying it is a FACT that this deer sterilization proposal is federally-funded project because, let me get this straight, there is a public health education component in preventing tick-borne diseases and the NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene receives funding from the State of NY, and the State of NY receives federal funding from the Federal government (which is entirely redundant). Sounds like a big, huge, fat, lame stretch, and not a fact.

30-Jun-16
Doc

calm down, this should not be surprise to you that I agree with Mike and don't agree with you since I've been that for years now. Nothing new there, right. Sorry to see you so upset.

BTW - I'm not discussing the thread, am I? I did talk about Mike's ability to put word to screen and the guy on the video, and now I'm talking about you. Still not talking about the thread.

I'm a man of my word doc!

30-Jun-16

airrow's Link

30-Jun-16
Good report. Thanks for sharing. No one is hiding anything Glen. Deer are just hard to count. There are a ton on Staten Island and they want their numbers reduced. Who cares exactly how many there are? What is your obsession with numbers? Too many is too many. And clearly, there are too many deer on Staten Island.

30-Jun-16
Odocoileus - It's clear that you have nothing of value to add to the discussion and facts have been presented that clearly show you don't have a clue about the scope of this project and its funding, the habitat of Staten Island, the realities about deer migration onto Staten Island and the alternatives the Mayor has publicly declared being open to. Your ignorance on this issue could not be any plainer; instead of either just admitting to your lack of understanding and bowing out gracefully you've obviously decided it's time to turn this thread into another mud-wrestling fiasco; everyone here has seen this act and a few months ago a number of long-time posters made their feelings quite clear on this subject.

The only person on this thread who brings nothing of value to this discussion is you; as was suggested, if you have hurt feelings about past events that don't allow you to focus on this one start your own thread and have a ball with it. I'm pretty sure you'll be the only person to post on a thread like that and maybe that might paint the picture a little more clearly for you of just how unwelcome you are on this bow hunting site.

30-Jun-16
I've often seen deer swim from black rock harbor to seaside,bpt harbor to pleasure beach,Milford harbor to Charles island,Southport harbor to the golf course...its no biggie for them as long as its not a snotty night

30-Jun-16
You got me Glen (assuming you are referring to me). Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about. Is that the best you've got? That I've got nothing of value to add? Seriously? I'd say I've explained things pretty well here. Like basics such as explaining the difference between castration and vasectomy and how they each impact breeding behavior. Why do you care so much about a project in Staten Island, NYC anyway? It has absolutely nothing to do with you. Nothing.

30-Jun-16

notme's Link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zStIm0gNnUw

30-Jun-16

Dr. Williams's Link

01-Jul-16

notme's Link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8vBVUaKvk

01-Jul-16
WTF?

01-Jul-16
It's a grunge thing.

I still can't figure out why Glen cares so much about a project happening in another state that has nothing to do with him. I guess it's anti-WB and pro hunting at all costs, regardless of the situation. I guess it's kind of like voting Republican, regardless of the nominee.

01-Jul-16
The Clintons - who would vote for them regardless of their unethically (illegal) behavior? Not saying Trump is any better.

1. Bill turns IRS on admin haters. 2. Covering up Bill's "Play will Willie" events by spredding dirt on the women who accuse him of rape. 3. Looting the White House - took possessions from the building after Bill's term in office. 4. Filegate - illegally obtained FBI files on adversaries 5. Hillary's chief of staff tied to Muslim Brotherhood 6. Vince Fosters "suicide" 7. EmailGate - enough said 8. Chinagate - donations made to CLintons 9. LAnding under sniper fire - NOT 10.Rose law firm billing records go missing

I could go on hours!!

01-Jul-16
I wonder how much of Deblasio's openess to hunting on staten Island is just plitical lip srvice, intended to placate a segment of the population with generic BS?

01-Jul-16
A politician wouldn't do that, would they? I can't believe it!

01-Jul-16

Mike in CT's Link
bb,

To address your point; from the linked source:

" The inquiries that seem closest to him focus on two issues: the effort to help Senate Democrats, and the relationship he had with Nyclass, an animal-rights group that spent heavily in the 2013 mayoral race against Mr. de Blasio’s chief rival, Christine C. Quinn."

As I mentioned earlier, on the surface the move towards sterilization over a cull seemed to be classic politics trumping common sense. While undoubtedly accurate you could also add a class political quid pro quo took place too.

The point about di Blasio being open to hunting being political posturing is certainly valid; a few points-first, that doesn't detract from the point that the statement about hunting being completely off the table was inaccurate; that statement clearly was. Second, the political posturing could be in one of two directions; appeasement as you've suggested for the small voting bloc favoring hunting (or a cull) or to attempt to deflect the focus of his ties (and potentially illegal fund-raising) from an animal rights group.

In any event it's never a good thing to be staring down a Federal investigation. (Well unless you're a democrat in which case all bets are off.)

01-Jul-16
Ok. So the Mayor pays the hunters some lip service but ultimately opts for a non-lethal solution for political purposes. WB put a project proposal in place that satisfied this need. They were chosen for the project. So what's the big deal? That hunters aren't being used to skim a few deer off the top and educate the majority in the 6th most densely populated metropolitan area in the country? Do you think that that is actually an option? The Mayor wants deer management action taken that is safe and publicly acceptable; he does not want to give a couple hunters access, not solve the problem, and put the public at risk. Can't you guys see that sometimes, hunters aren't the answer, particularly when they can't or won't effectively reduce deer populations? If they were effective, then maybe that would be a feasible solution has been my point all along.

01-Jul-16
I'm struggling with the idea that hunting or lethal reduction is/was actually on the table, I just don't see that as being reality regardless of what Diblasio claims on record. In a nut shell I don't believe him. It would be nice if he did open the cull to hunters. Although I wonder how many Hunters would actually take advantage of the additional opportunity, It's not a convenient destination for hunting, is there even public access to any of the open areas? Will Hunting actually be an effective means to an end on Staten Island? I imagine there would have to be an effort on the part of the City to help hunters gain access to areas where hunting can occur. No doubt from a cost standpoint an inexpensive solution, but how effective will it be in the end?

01-Jul-16

notme's Link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6anTpe1WGAA

01-Jul-16
Mike, somehow the idea that a New York Liberal politician fearing a federal investigation just doesn't seem likely....but there I go being cynical again..

01-Jul-16
The topic of discussion isn't anywhere near as complicated as some insist on making it.

1. Staten Island by recent accounts has a problem with too many deer.

2. 2 key components cited in the need to reduce the deer population are a)public safety (deer/vehicle collisions) and b)public health (lyme disease).

3. If politics weren't driving the decision a deer cull (this does not mean hunting) is the best option because it a)has an immediate impact on the deer population as opposed to at best a projected 30% impact not until year 2 and b)is a less costly and a proven alternative. (Dead deer don't run into cars or carry ticks).

4. Mayor di Blasio has been the person stating hunting (and also poisoining by the way) is not off of the table. The citing of Mayor di Blasio's comments was to provide an honest accounting of the present situation and potential future options.

5. The geography of Staten Island where the majority of the deer reside is very much like some of the tracts of forested habitat in Zones 11 & 12; suitable to hunting (if di Blasio opts for it) but definitely suited to an outfit like WB as we have been told via the methods they employ and their safety history.

6. The NY DEC hasn't yet signed off on the sterilization progam. Since speculation seems to be in vogue let's ponder if those trained specialists aren't wondering why if there is both a public health concern and a public safety concern the proposal would be one that would have no positive impact at all on either of those issues in year one and at best, by projected estimates, a 30% reduction in year 2.

Perhaps some of those experts are keenly aware that they still have the issue of the influx of deer from surrounding areas and that the most likely outcome of this project would be they would be back exactly where they began, possibly worse off within 1-2 years of the completion of this project and out a minimum expenditure of $2,000,0000.00

It might just be, wonder of wonders, that there are actually government officials who recognize the John Q. Taxpayer (at the local, state, federal level as applicable) is pretty much tapped out and most definitely ticked off at years of fiscal insanity and we're finally beginning to see some accountability for how those monies are spent.

Lastly, it's everybody's business because this issue isn't unique to Staten Island and at some point, somewhere, the same question of how taxpayer dollars are best spent will arise.

02-Jul-16
Mike you make some valid points. Ultimately, the deer management decision is up to the powers that be, in this case, the Mayor who was elected by the people of NYC. And you are right, politics often, actually usually, trumps science, just look at the turd that got stirred down in Redding in large part thanks to many guys on this site. In this case, the elected official is opting for a non-traditional means of population reduction that while not the most effective, is publicly acceptable. And they are willing to pay for that solution. Good for WB for providing the service they seek and getting paid handsomely to do so. Clearly public health is the Mayor's priority.

05-Jul-16
Fertility control is often a popular request from urban residents wishing to manage overabundant urban deer herds. Fertility control does not reduce the number of deer in a population, and it will not help in a situation where deer are already overpopulated. Fertility control can only be used to reduce a population’s growth rate, and is therefore only appropriate to maintain a deer population at its current level.

The NY DEC has not yet signed off on the sterilization program for Staten Island, NY.

05-Jul-16
One might view this as a business merely changing it's approach after failed efforts in other locations.

A certain Deer Reduction company was unable to kill as many deer as they promised, either due to inflated initial population guesstimates, or due to the fact that previous hunting efforts had already accomplished the job.

Suburban and Urban Hunting can be controversial at times. Night time culls can be even more so.

Vasectomies may have fewer residents complaining.

05-Jul-16
Glen. You are correct that fertility control is often used by urban residents wishing to manage overabundant deer herds. And you are kind of right that fertility control does not reduce the number of deer in a population. Where you are wrong is when you say that fertility control is “only appropriate to maintain a deer population at its current level.” You would be correct in this statement if deer did not die, but they do. So using very basic wildlife management calculations, if mortality rate > fecundity rate + immigration rate, the population will decrease. This is what fertility control does, it reduces fecundity hopefully to levels lower than mortality in order to be successful. If mortality rate < fecundity rate + immigration, then the population will grow. If mortality rate = fecundity rate + immigration, it will “maintain a deer population at its current level” as you suggest.

We will see what NYDEC does. I am certain they will sign off on this though.

And Ace, now you are upset because WB didn't kill enough deer in Redding? You are still barking up the population estimate tree? There are a TON of deer left in Redding. Yes you guys got numbers down, but not to levels that significantly negatively impact tick abundances. How were Siburn and Rick able to count 45 deer/square mile in the Huntington State Park area in Feb 2014? Heck their raw count on the square mile was 36!

05-Jul-16
Did I sound upset? You're delusional (again, still).

I'm actually laughing, (along with everyone else) at the thought of you and your buddy making your life's work fondling deer testicles. Carry on.

I think from now on, you'll be addressed as: "Snippy".

05-Jul-16
Haha. Ace you are so very emotional about this stuff and have been all along. I'm glad you were elected the Bowsite spokesman. So we are going there? Laugh all you want, but know I have done WAY more to male deer in the name of science than simply "fondling deer testicles." Mere fondling is for bashful rookies who get all red in the face and flustered at the thought of touching, like getting to first base at your first freshman year dance. I know you too have "fondled deer testicles" with every buck you have taken just as everyone on this site has too. But to one up you, can you guess how you determine that a male deer is actually sterile? Please come back with a real insult next time, not this juvenile "fondling" nonsense. Shesh.

07-Jul-16
Wow... 180 posts and all we know is that people are really touchy about this...

JMO...

It ain't gonna work; does are going to keep cycling and bucks will keep immigrating until all the does get bred. As in Pregnant.

Yup, it's gonna cost a pile o' cash for zero results.

MAYBE the general public will eventually lose patience...

What amazes me is the notion that a well-placed broadhead or bullet is more "cruel" than expecting a buck to recover from a vasectomy without so much as an ice pack and a second dose of Motrin for the swelling....

Reminds me of the old riddle... If a frog is 10 feet from a wall and he can only jump half-way to the wall from where he is, then how many hops will it take for him to reach the wall?

And at a couple million $$/hop, this could get expensive....

07-Jul-16
Gf you are right that darting and surgical procedures can get pretty gnarly at times, but ultimately, the deer is alive at the end. That's why it's accepted by the urban/suburban public. And the longer I'm in this game, the more I've come to understands that animal rights advocates dont really stand for the ethical treatment of animals, they are against human intent to harm or kill one. Deer being hit by a car and dying 3 days later is okay because it was an "accident." You, me, and the WB crew agree that lethal means work effectively, and can be humane where properly executed, but are not always the solution, like on Staten Island, where weapons discharge and hunting are currently illegal within NY City limits and where they are willing to pay not to have to kill the animals. We will see what happens.

07-Jul-16
"where they are willing to pay not to have to kill the animals."

I agree, I think the biggest hurdle when dealing with urban folks and hunting, they would rather see the animal suffer all kinds of violent deaths just as long as it's not a human inflicting the death.

07-Jul-16
Agreed. And completely counter intuitive. People have an overwhelming tendency to think emotionally, not rationally. Look at this debate on this site for example.

08-Jul-16
The New York state Department of Environmental Conservation told Fox 5 that the deer population on Staten Island is so out of control, lethal measures have to be taken because sterilization would take 10 to 12 years to work.

White Buffalo on sterilization of deer

"Q. Why target females and not males for sterilization?

A. The easiest answer is that bucks impregnate multiple does, so it is much more effective to prevent the does from reproducing. Each doe that is fertile represents 1-2 fawns/year. For each doe that is sterilized, you are guaranteed a reduction in the number of fawns. If the bucks are sterilized, and too many are missed or new males immigrate, then many of the females could become pregnant."

This thread is not an emotional issue it is a common sense issue.

09-Jul-16
Ok. Let's get this straight. So WB is contracted to kill deer in Redding right? For population reduction on 2 square miles as part of a tick-borne disease reduction research project to benefit public health. But there it's all "don't blame the deer" and Redding deer populations are "dangerously low" and we have been lying to you about how many deer there are. Now WB is proposing a non-lethal project in an adjacent state and you are opposed to it?? Why? Because the deer they should be killing aren't "your deer?" Am I right? Yup! Again, hunter attitudes about deer management are transparent and selfish and totally NIMBY. Lethal means are a must in Staten Island, but absolutely unacceptable in Redding, which is next to Newtown? Can you see how DEEP won't pay your argument any attention with logic like this? DEEP and DEC serve the public, not the whims of Glen Ekstrom. Your "logic" is completely transparent. You need more depth if you want to be taken seriously. Honestly.

09-Jul-16

notme's Link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnKCcjP8Qs

Oofa!!!

09-Jul-16

notme's Link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEupVsL07E

The bigger issue

09-Jul-16
I realize it's not logical, it's just any argument counter to any action by White Buffalo.

15-Jul-16

airrow's Link

• Sitka Gear