Swampy 22-Jun-16
razorhead 23-Jun-16
Tweed 17-Aug-16
Pete-pec 17-Aug-16
Jeff in MN 17-Aug-16
MuskyBuck 17-Aug-16
happygolucky 17-Aug-16
20-Jun-16

Most often I would suspect people would be inclined to say the guy with the most big bucks.... Admit it or not, I think all of the guys who visit this forum strive to be "great deer hunters"... After all, we could each buy a lot of grocerys with what we spend chasing big bucks. We wouldn't need to learn more, or strive to be better if we were not in this to be the best we can be... For some it matters what everyone thinks... For others all that matters is what the circle of friends think. Others might not want anyone to know there accomplishments except a small select few. But if there were no other people to share our success with... What would success matter?

To me, a great hunter is not just someone who can put big bucks down year after year. Its someone with great personal ethics. The guy who does the right thing when no one is there to see what he does. A great hunter is not so worried about big bucks that it consumes him. He would put friends/family before deer... A great hunter cares about the animals he pursues. He trys his best to make an ethical shot, passes when he can't, and makes no excuses when he fails... I think it takes years to be a great hunter. You need seasons under your belt. You need to have learned some hard lessons and met failure as well as success...

Anyone have their thoughts to this?

20-Jun-16
Excellent post and well said. I've seen big bucks absolutely consume some people to the point that they'll do anything to get that deer, even "bending" the rules. I think in the end though it's the hunt that counts, and some years, that may mean a lot more time scouting and in stand than others. For me it's always been family first. If things aren't happy on the home front, it's hard to be happy afield. As I've aged it's far less about me and more about sharing in "first deer" with family and friends. Just something special about seeing someone light up with excitement over their first venison — and doesn't matter if it's a buck, doe or fawn!

21-Jun-16
In my mind the single biggest factor in what makes a "great hunter" isn't so much about killing the most or the biggest, that comes with age and experience, but rather it is the guy who is passionate about HUNTING deer...notice I did not say consumed with KILLING deer, but passionate about HUNTING them. I define HUNTING with not just the actual act of pursuing, weapon in hand, but everything else...from scouting year round, to prepping stands, making the grocery list and setting up and closing down deer camp, helping others in the party track and drag out their deer, mentoring the younger hunters in camp, all of it. I don't judge how others hunt, so be it ethical, but I think this modern phenomena of food plots has really put a damper on the creation of so-called "great hunters"...you might become a great farmer or carpenter if you build a box on stilts overlooking said crop, but in my mind you're cheating yourself out of true hunting as there's not much scouting or woodsmanship involved. You can shoot all the big bucks in the world in this manner, but I would never refer to you as a "great hunter", but rather just a killer of deer. Great hunters are much more than that.

21-Jun-16
All good points!

The only thing I would add is that great hunters also teach and pass on our great hunting heritage to the new hunters wanting to get involved. They are unselfish, willing to put in long hours and support other hunters, not just during the hunting season.

22-Jun-16
Come on you guy's are giving me a big head .

23-Jun-16
a great hunter is a guy or gal, who cares about the land, no matter who owns it.... I am extreme, I even take my shotgun shells out, (I shoot a side by side)

they care about the other hunters, and their success chances, and on public land, gives the other hunter a wide berth,,,,, will help that hunter track and find an animal if needed....

they do not cheat, they do not steal, they just have respect.....

they consume what they kill and waste nothing.......

if all one cares about, is what it scores, they should go play baseball or take up golf

17-Aug-16
+1 to all above

17-Aug-16
A great hunter endorses the sport through his actions. He accepts that not everyone appreciates his passion. He accepts that not everyone practices his own methods. He accepts that not everyone uses the same weapon. Instead, he expects that everyone should be respectful to the land, to the game, to other people's opinions, to other hunters, and to the laws set forth. A great hunter does not belittle people who don't share his point of view, he instead embraces diversity realizing we all share the same passion for the sport of hunting, and without all of us, we will no longer have the opportunity to call ourselves hunters.....let alone "great hunters"!

17-Aug-16
WOW, best thread ever. Don't know how I missed it in June.

17-Aug-16
Great Thread. Lots of great hunters on this site who also pursue their passion for deer hunting very ethically and with great respect for the animal and environment. It gives me hope that the next hunter I run into in the woods is of this caliber as well.

17-Aug-16
Yes, great thread and lots of good comments.

I especially like the ethical aspects of it all as well as those who are stewards of the land.

I like hunters who don't push their ways of hunting on others or judge them by the deer they shoot. Everyone hunts for different reasons.

• Sitka Gear