Contributors to this thread:
trackman 23-Jun-16
wyohunter1 23-Jun-16
John Haeberle 23-Jun-16
trackman 24-Jun-16
Topgun 30-06 25-Jun-16
jims 26-Jun-16
23-Jun-16
what do you think of hunting antelope in mid September ? i will try to hunt water ? i have never hunt goat that late before ??

23-Jun-16
I would try and decoy hunt them before rifle starts since they are rutting, but I don't have patience to sit water.

23-Jun-16
Mid-September should see about all of the options on the table for you. Don't think that sitting at a water hole isn't exciting. Generally, I don't notice a lot of "down time". But that time of year you can decoy, too.

24-Jun-16
Do you put decoy at water hole or out in open range?

25-Jun-16
If it's still hot and the rut is going, and both should be then, sit the water and have a decoy within bow range near you. Bucks will come in all day during the rut and a decoy eases their wariness by thinking one has already checked things out and they will come in easier.

26-Jun-16
A lot depends upon the area you are hunting. If there are a lot of water sources or it rains it can be tough from waterholes. If you are being picky smart older bucks usually will wander to other water sources if they aren't acclimated to a blind. I wouldn't use a decoy at a waterhole because it is just one more thing to raise a flag that something is wrong when they don't see the decoy move. Decoys are mostly used for stalking close, flipping up, and having rutting bucks charge in. I've seen snow in Sept as well as 70-80 degree days. You never know. It will likely be hotter and drier in August than Sept but your guess is as good as mine.

With that said, if you hit the right time period either month with a long spell of hot/dry you may do good....especially if there aren't many water sources and the antelope get acclimated to your blind. It's always good to be a little flexible with hunting dates to hit it right. The bucks should start rutting around the 2nd or 3rd week in Sept. Last year they were a little later where I was hunting.

• Sitka Gear