bb 05-Jul-16
24-Jun-16

24-Jun-16
Hopkins hill rd. Coventry RI.

24-Jun-16

DeerDan 's embedded Photo

24-Jun-16
I would like to see a clearer picture of the background. Odd looking non shadow that lion is casting.

24-Jun-16
Pointing my Mathews XLR8 at chest with muzzy 125 grain...let ER fly!!!

26-Jun-16
and what's with the fence in the immediate background? Looks like a metal picket but it's white out between the pickets?

Definitely a lion, just don't think the pic is real

26-Jun-16
That's a mountain loin, the question is who took the photo and where? It seems every time I see a photo of a New England mountain lion, it turns out the picture was impostered from Montana or Wyoming.

26-Jun-16
Sure looks like it was taken on a Photoshopping Adventure Safari... Too many oddities for one picture...

26-Jun-16
Evergreens in the background look like something from out west, not New England.

26-Jun-16
And the hillside, devoid of typical vegetation found in the area.

26-Jun-16
To heck with the TYPE of vegetation (not that I disagree!) - go straight up from the front paws to the brown post to the tree trunk which is in deep shadow. Somebody gonna try to tell us that this ISN'T two pictures very crudely pasted together? And what's with that sign on the other side of the fence? (Directly above the cat's rump)

If the photo is partly faked, you can bet that the story behind it is completely fiction...

This thing has Rowdy Dowdy written all over it....

26-Jun-16
Looks like a guys face in that sign..

26-Jun-16
Ok guys, who here on this site is actually a professionally qualified photo imaging and resolution examiner? Of the forensic type I hope. If you all are just grasping at straws as amateurs I think we should wait for the big guns to come out and tell us what we really have here

26-Jun-16
Ok ill play along. Im not an expert by any means but have been into photography for a while. In my opinion the shadow of the building indicates low sun angle and I would think top of cat especially the ear and high shoulder in the sun would cast a shadow. Shade/sun in neck area just doesn't look right to me compared to shadow on ground. Maybe Dan can provide a bit more info as to the photo source since this is always a hot topic.

27-Jun-16
google mountain lion in CT and then click on images. It shows up there. It's titled "FAKE Dayville mountain lion picture."

27-Jun-16
So often it's a blurry tabby cat OR a darn bobcat and someone really think's its a lion.

This is a lion.

But, despite not being an "expert" in photoshopping. This just really feels like it was edited. Literally opening it, first thing I noticed was that the paw's look odd compared to the grass they are on.

Then I see Bob found it listed as Fake... sure looks like it. Sort of amazing you dont see folks try this stuff with big foots more often. (I'm not kidding). Seems with all the big foot fans out there some one would try to make a trail cam big foot photo...

27-Jun-16
Will

I did see one special on TV long time ago about all of the big foot sightings and film footage; and they did show several fake videos. There was one video that the expert could not discount as a fake because of the gate, body posture, movement, etc. Some of the fake videos were hysterical, so obvious.

27-Jun-16
Bob that's awesome. I dont believe, but I love bigfoot stuff. It cracks me up! That TV show "finding bigfoot" is must see TV ;)

29-Jun-16

Saw this running down rt.44 this morning, be careful out there!

29-Jun-16
This is a photo of a mountain lion. Why would anyone need to photoshop it? The only thing wrong with this photo is someone claiming it's from CT. "My buddy's friend took this picture in his Uncle's backyard in (insert town, state name here)." Clearly irrefutable proof that there are mountain lions in CT, MA, VT, ME, and NH whichever state you insert. All with this one picture. Come on guys. Round and round we go with this.

29-Jun-16
Let me see if I can sum up the official position on this.

1. There are NO mountain lions in CT!

2. If anyone happens to see a mountain lion in CT then it's obviously an escaped pet (see #1).

After a wild mountain lion was killed on a highway in CT:

3. OK, so there was 1, but there are no more (see #1 and #2).

29-Jun-16

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
My buddy's uncle took this photo near Water Company Land in Torrington.

See how easy that was???

29-Jun-16
Funny how so many sightings in New England are of black Mountain lions. No one has ever seen a black one where there are documented populations of lions

29-Jun-16
C'mon guys. Dr Williams landed a solid funny right there.

I know there have been multiple verified lions in MA. MDFW did a super article about it in a recent (maybe a year old) Mass Wildlife magazine. But when you consider over say the last 50 years only about 5-6 were verified... Then consider the uptick of guys with cameras in the woods and the number of folks with cell phones ready to pop pictures...

To me, it makes sense that there could be a few random cats. If I recall the "intel" on the CT road kill, they had DNA from that cat in SD or ND, MN, MI, Ontario, Upstate NY and CT. Just like the Timber wolf from Quebec that killed a bunch of sheep in Gill MA a few years ago... Weird things can happen.

But it sure looks like what is "seen" at this point is most likely random vs a population holding on.

That all said, if you are curious about Lions in the north east, google that edition of Mass Wildlife and buy a copy. Awesome stuff.

And a friend of mine that is a photog for MDFW who does some INSANE camera traps for all kinds of critters... When I discussed the issue with him, he did suggest he expects to get a mountain lion on film by accident before he gets a big foot... So we are safe from those at least :)

29-Jun-16
Yes Will. And my image wasn't even Photoshopped!!

30-Jun-16
My brother saw a mt lion mother and cub just down the road from where he lives in Marlboro, CT

30-Jun-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
Somebody actually documented this cougar in action..EWWWWWWW

30-Jun-16
HEY!!! That's my mother!! Where did you get that picture? ;)

30-Jun-16
My neighbor was riding his bike in Marlboro and saw a dead kitten on the side of the road ,went home to get his camera and it was gone when he got back.Just saying I really want to believe but its not possible.

01-Jul-16
Ha - just today front page of the worcester telegram (main paper out of worcester MA) today was a pic of a cat that was touted as a Mtn Lion. The witness and the animal control officer are 100% certain.

The pic looks like a fat house cat to me... But I could be wrong. It could be a new roamer cruising through.

But for those of you in NE CT... it was seen in Webster MA... so not far from you guys if it is a Lion.

01-Jul-16

Right. It's legs are like 6 inches off the ground.

01-Jul-16
Maybe the kitty's name is Mt Lion?

01-Jul-16
Could you read the article Dr Williams? It was some what comical how certain the observers were.

Confirmation bias a little bit.

Exactly Bob :)

01-Jul-16

Dr. Williams's Link
Comments are priceless as always.

01-Jul-16

spike78's Link
Lion sighting in Webster MA which is next to CT line. Does the pic look credible?

01-Jul-16
Kinda looks like some chicks I picked up at the bar at closing,short n fat...or was it deaf n blind ?,but that would be at the nursing home...i dunno I was hammered

01-Jul-16
Yeah it does look like a house cat but honestly how the hell can someone mistake a lion from a house cat.

01-Jul-16
Oops didn't see the docs thread above.

01-Jul-16
I just read that a couple witnesses say this cat was the size of a German Shepard and the lady is getting hammered by people saying its a house cat and she's now frustrated. One thing we don't know is the height of the grass. All I can say is if it's a house cat that thing is a monster.

01-Jul-16
They're out there, just cause you or anyone you know hasn't seen one. Been hunting for over 20 years and I've only seen 1 bobcat. We had eastern cats years ago maybe still.

01-Jul-16
No disrespect, but if we can't tell the height of the grass, how can you tell it's a monster?

01-Jul-16
I think they are in the process of doing measurements so maybe we will see. I'm sure their will be another sighting. I read the last killed lion in MA was in Amherst which is the next town to where my taxidermist said he saw one while hunting. Who can argue with a taxidermist of all people? He said it was 20 yards away and scared the crap out of him. He saw it at the base of the Holyoke mt range that goes for miles and miles. I bet no one believed the people who spotted the lion before it got hit in CT either.

01-Jul-16
Cool. But it's too bad they broadcast a picture of a housecat and claimed it was a mountain lion. Doesn't bode well for the faithful that believe they exist in the east. Actually, kind of cheapens it, you know, if that's the best evidence they got for their existence. A photo of a house cat. . .

02-Jul-16
See one with your own eyes is the best evidence for me.

02-Jul-16
That Mtn Lion from Webster, Ma was confirmed as a house Cat. Just saw it on the news.

02-Jul-16
Dan, I've heard tons and tons of stories of people seeing them, their friends seeing them, and relatives of friends of friends seeing them. They swear on their lives they saw them. But when pressed for details, they're foggy, or the camera Uncle Joe took a picture of them on broke mysteriously, or it was standing on rock so there were no footprints. Being a scientist, I need evidence. And none, aside from a single roadkill, exists in CT.

05-Jul-16
With all the trail cams in the woods and all the people with cameras and the Mountain Lions wide ranging activities, They don't live on the back 40 holed up in thick cover...they have a wide range, Someone would get clear pictures, if nothing else, by accident. Look at the one that ended up here...that was no mystery, it showed up...people saw it, it was dead a week later. That would be a common theme for any lion showing up here accidentally. It's amazing how many clear photos people can get of everything known to man except mountain lions and Big Foot.

• Sitka Gear