SBH 13-Jul-16
Shortdraw 15-Jul-16
SBH 28-Jul-16
Shortdraw 31-Jul-16
SBH 31-Jul-16
Shortdraw 02-Aug-16
SBH 04-Aug-16
27-Jun-16
I just moved back to Bozeman after being away for a few years for work. I missed the deadlines for NR permits in the mail and my residency won't be valid until October. I plan on hunting whitetails by the house mostly but wanted to start scouting the hills for elk and mule deer for the following year. I have some good property to hunt over by Anaconda and in the Highwoods and Fort Benton as well but I have wanted to get into the Lee Metcalf over by Ennis/Jacks Creek. Has anyone hunted that area much and if so how is it fairing with the Wolves and the growing population of Griz over there? Being that it's a ways off I can get my act together for horses to help out. It would just be myself doing a solo backpack hunt. I had heard the elk population took it pretty hard a couple years back but never heard much else. Thanks in advance for any help or any info given.

Scott

13-Jul-16
Welcome back to Bozeman. I don't hunt much over there but have heard there's still elk in the area. They do tend towards the private though. I don't have any experience going way back in over there. I imagine you'd get into elk though. Grizzly are becoming a serious problem all over in that area and on the other side of the river too. Be careful by yourself.

15-Jul-16
Sounds good. That's what I figured on the grizz. Do you know if this area gets hit pretty hard? I know there are a few outfitters in the area but I don't hear much about anyone hitting it up. I was also looking at the Truman/Bostwick area for day hunts for elk in archery season but wasn't sure if that gets hammered as well.

28-Jul-16
No clue on how much pressure that area gets on the madison. The bridgers get a ton of people since it's so close to town. Don't let that ruin it for you though. I haven't had any luck in there but I know guys who have. Only one way to find out. Good luck.

31-Jul-16
I hear what you are saying. My experiences are in the way back in those area by Truman and Bostwick. Most folks seemed to stay on the main trail down low to move around. I have a friend that owns property below Ross peak so I access there and head on the high road. Never seen a soul yet and lots of animals.

31-Jul-16
Nice! That eliminates the crowd. Hard to beat a little access help like that. Good deal. Keep us posted on how your season goes. I have the Bridger Mule deer buck tag this year so planning on being in the bridgers until I get it done. Maybe I'll bump into you up there.......it's coming soon!

02-Aug-16
I sure will. I'm going to be hunting mostly whitetail and I have a good supply of General Mulie areas to mess with too. Elk since I just back here not to long ago I wanted to focus on scouting this year into next. Not looking for anything huge but looking for yearly consistency with putting meat in the freezer plus I shoot mostly trad and hunt that way so size isn't something I'm picky about. I'm curious to see how your experience goes up there with your mulie tag. I know I have seen some really good ones up in that area but from what the locals always told me it used to be ridiculous back in the day. Keep me posted on your happenings and good luck man. After season we should try and get together and fling some arrows down at the shop or if there are any good winter shoots.

04-Aug-16
PM sent

• Sitka Gear