Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
Duncan 29-Jun-16
SILVERADO 29-Jun-16
longbeard 29-Jun-16
bigbuckbob 29-Jun-16
Will 29-Jun-16
29-Jun-16
I've got myself a few private spots to hunt for the 2016 season. hoping to end my 3 years of not shooting a deer and get my first. I've been watching this one buck, trying to learn his habits and get him early in the season. With only comparing to the age guestimits I see on this forum I'd say he is in his 2nd or 3rd summer. I found a few areas he hangs out in, the trails he uses to get around and even have seen a few other deer around. I have my plans to take this one buck as my first deer.

Driving by the area this morning on my way to work, I see this buck again. This time he is laying in the road bloody and bloated.

Well at least I learned a bit about deer behavior .

On a good note, anyone that was reading my threads last season might remember that I was having trouble with my cheap treestand. Well a good buddy of mine decided that his father is getting to old to hunt from a climber (He's turning 80 this year) and bought his dad a new ladderstand. I was lucky enough to be given his climber. Its the name brand one that my cheap one tried to copy. Seat works, straps work, and its aluminum, not steel. It also doesn't ring like a bell every time I bump it. Maybe my fourth season will be a good season. -Duncan

29-Jun-16
Sorry to hear that the deer you were patterning didn't make it. Others will move in to take over his area, especially during the Rut. Good luck and keep up the hard work it will pay off in the end.

29-Jun-16
Sorry to hear about your "targeted" buck Duncan but that may have been a blessing in disguise. If you have never killed a deer with your bow it probably wouldn't be a good idea to target one specific deer only. Targeting one specific deer can turn into a grind and be down right frustrating. A lot like work instead of hunting. Go forth and have fun and kill the first legal deer that comes through. With that said, it does sound like you are on the right track of scouting and getting to know you spot(s) with more intimate detail than last year. That can only help you succeed. Good luck!

29-Jun-16
Duncan

glad to hear you found some spots that are holding deer. I agree with the previous comments, other bucks will move into any area where does are there, especially during the rut.

This is the best time to find a way(s) into the area depending on wind direction. For example: I definitely wouldn't hunt a stand to the north if the wind was coming out of the south, blowing my scent right into my stand area and the deer nose.

If you know the area is holding deer I wouldn't spend a lot time in there before the season started either, it may cause the deer to change their routine and move to the neighbor's property. Find a spot to hang your stand, prep the area by clearing your shooting lanes and clear a path into your stand as well.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

29-Jun-16
Sounds great Duncan. You have learned some good info that will help you, and you have a new tool (stand).

Hopefully it bodes well for the season ahead... it's only 3 months for you CT folks :)

And hey, if you get one this year, you will have beaten my first by 4 years :) (took me 7).

• Sitka Gear