Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
RutnStrut 29-Jun-16
glunker 30-Jun-16
skookumjt 30-Jun-16
Zinger 30-Jun-16
WausauDug 06-Jul-16
29-Jun-16
Just wondering who here use a smartphone and a GPS app over a handheld GPS. I use Gaia GPS and Backcountry navigator apps for my public land spots. I always have my phone on me and like not having to have another device. I have used both apps heavily while spring scouting and not had real bad battery wear. Most of the apps you can download maps and such when you have wifi or a cell signal. So you don't always need a signal.

Just wondering what you guys use and pro's cons in your opinion.

30-Jun-16
I have used an upgraded navigator app that I liked but they are no longer supporting the app. It worked faster than any gps I have seen. I am going on a mtn hunt and it might be solo and what seems to be the answer is inreach which I have not yet bought but need to do some more checking on it. It has satellite texting for safety.

30-Jun-16
I use my phone almost daily for work and hunting. I most often use the county GIS websites but will refer to Google Earth frequently. The county sites typically have parcel boundaries so they are very helpful.

I've tried some of the apps in the past and they always seem like a better idea than they are in reality. The idea of being able to label points of interest is nice, but they generally take a lot of storage, use outdated leaf on photos rather than leaf off photos, and aren't very intuitive. I can get much more information from leaf off photos than from leaf on.

When I am hunting I don't leave my truck without my GPS. I don't need to use it very often, but it is foolproof when I need to count on it.

30-Jun-16
i carry my gps with me but find I use my phone with google earth 99% of the time I also use the under armor fitness app to measure how far i walked

06-Jul-16
both but could live w/o my phone but never my Garmin

• Sitka Gear