alphamax32 01-Jul-16
razorhead 01-Jul-16
Mike F 01-Jul-16
Pete-pec 01-Jul-16
alphamax32 15-Aug-16
WausauDug 15-Aug-16
alphamax32 16-Aug-16
30-Jun-16
For this season I want to purchase a safety harness. Anyone have any harnesses that they like? Looking for something comfortable? Also easy to put on walk around with and work on multiple trees without a lot of hassle.

Last year was my first year bowhunting and I did not use one the one that came with my stand was loud and a pain to get on.

30-Jun-16
Summit SOP is very good harness. Even used it roofing my house a month ago. Easy on and off.

30-Jun-16
I like the HSS, the ones that come with stands are worthless and only included for liability reasons, no one actually use them. DO NOT GO IN A TREE WITHOUT ONE ON!!!!

30-Jun-16
I'll use nothing until the day I die! Pun intended!

30-Jun-16
I like the seat of the pants, using one now for a lot of years,,,, but going to take a look at the new HSS, that also has the lineman attachment, for hanging sticks

30-Jun-16
razor, I made my own lineman's belt and it's a great item for hanging stands. I also will not use a stand without a lifeline so I'm connected from the moment I step off the ground. Think about it, the time your most likely to slip and fall is getting into or out of your stand onto your ladder, not while you're climbing or sitting in the stand.

30-Jun-16
Very good point zinger! looks like I have some researching to do about life lines and rigging them up on my stands. Never thought about the whole going up and down...very good point!

30-Jun-16
If you buy lifelines they run about $30 each which sounds expensive until you have a broken neck or you're dead!

30-Jun-16
sounds like I will be purchasing those to along with a harness! Thanks!

30-Jun-16
Zinger x 2 Been there, done that!

30-Jun-16
Muddy outdoors, they make a real nice one that's comfortable and quiet kind of expensive though

30-Jun-16
Millenium hang-on's and ladder stands all come with a Safe Link safety Line. They are good quality.

I like my tree spider harness, it is lightweight and comfortable.

01-Jul-16
I've been using the HSS for at least five years now and really like it. I wear mine under my coat. It works well. Wearing a harness is like wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. You get so use to it and feel uncomfortable if you don't use it.

I have not tried other types of harnesses but would only get one that goes on like a vest as opposed to a bunch of straps that would be a struggle to put on or take off in the dark.

We hunt mostly out of ladder stands so I have not felt a need for a life line. If I had stands with screw in steps or climbing steps I would have one.

01-Jul-16
I have seen some of the vests and those seem pretty nice! had a buddy tell me about hunter safety system. they seem pretty good.

But I guess when it comes down to it its all personal preference.

01-Jul-16
PB It is funny you say that about life lines and ladder stands. I saw a safety report last year, that the number one stand, there was accident from, was in fact ladder stands......

it is hard to believe, but guys slip on the rungs, slip while putting on their belt on the top etc,,

you would not think so, I was surprised,,,, if I had ladder stands, that were set for the year, on private land, I would use the safety line system.....

01-Jul-16
PB-

Razor is correct in what he is telling us in regards to ladder stands. The lifeline is supposed to be above the strap where you hook onto the tree, so you can hook to the tree before removing your connection to the life line. Another good option is to stay attached to the lifeline for the duration of your hunt.

It's amazing how the use of safety harnesses and lifelines have grown. I remember using homemade climbing stands and no safety harness or belt at all.

I never get into a stand or allow my hunters to get into a stand without a safety belt or lifeline, unless it is a shooting house.

01-Jul-16
It might be that more accidents happen from ladder stands, because they are growing in popularity. If they are less safe than a hang on, I'd be shocked! I switched to all ladder stands (mostly because of my weight), but certainly the ease in which they are hung (with a buddy), and the fact that climbing a ladder is far safer.....and I don't care what the stats say. Another thing that may contribute to these accidents is the age class of those using the stands. Many kids and older men are using them. I'm certainly not promoting not using a harness.

15-Aug-16
Well I purchased a muddy crossover harness at cabelas for 130.00 came with a free life line.

I set-up everything over the weekend and actually tried it out! Works awesome and very glad I got it. I will feel a lot safer climbing up, sitting and climbing down my stand.

Feel like an idiot for not using one at all last year

15-Aug-16
yes, and once you hang a stand w/ one on and the linemans loop being hands free - soo much easier and safer.

16-Aug-16
I haven't yet! but it did come with a linemans loop also. excited to try that out also

• Sitka Gear