Dan Mallia 09-Jul-16
Maverick940 09-Jul-16
AZBUGLER 10-Jul-16
Dan Mallia 12-Jul-16
Maverick940 12-Jul-16
Dan Mallia 12-Jul-16
09-Jul-16
Morning all.

My career (wildland firefighter) keeps me extremely busy during the rut and I cannot get away to Elk hunt during that time, it's pretty much impossible. I would love the opportunity to chase rutting, vocal bulls but it'll have to potentially wait until I retire. LOL.

I see that AZ offers some late season archery elk opportunities. Just wondering what's folks experiences are on those hunts, difficulties, etc.

Please feel free to private message me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

09-Jul-16
Dan:

I like the late season archery bull elk hunts and those hunts provide good opportunities to kill large bulls. And, chances to draw a permit are excellent and in some cases, the draw odds approach 100% (depending on residency). Obviously, it's a traditional spot-and-stalk hunting situation or strategy. But, the hu8nting can be and often is very good, indeed.

Maverick

10-Jul-16
It's not for me, but there are definitely opportunities. The best part is hunter pressure, which is pretty much nonexistent. You'll have the woods to yourself. If you do go, pray for dry conditions and you could have a great chance at water. Unfortunately many times it is super wet that time of year. If you aren't in an area where you can glass from long distances, the odds are way against you. This is why the success rates are typically around 10%.

12-Jul-16
Thank you both for your insight, it's greatly appreciated.

12-Jul-16
No problem, Dan.

You can send a PM to me or an email letter or you can even call me if you need more information about specific units and tactics.

Mav

12-Jul-16
Thanks Mav, I'll get a PM headed your way.

• Sitka Gear