Contributors to this thread:
Jeff in MN 13-Jul-16
Cheetah8799 13-Jul-16
Knife2sharp 13-Jul-16
South Farm 14-Jul-16
Jeff in MN 15-Jul-16
13-Jul-16

Jeff in MN's Link
In spite of objections from the MN DNR base management is going to nix doe permits on base this year. They want to improve the class of bucks on base that has fallen off since doe permits have been allowed. Another change is that DNR staff will not be on base to oversee the hunt.

13-Jul-16
Good, they need the herd size to grow, it is has been in a sad state the last few years I have gone up. Lucky to see any deer at all.

13-Jul-16
Isn't that the purpose?

14-Jul-16
I was always under the assumption the main reason for the hunt on Ripley was to REDUCE the number of deer...at least it started out that way. Due to the lack of hunting pressure there was a good chance of seeing some nice bucks, but now it sounds like nice bucks is the primary goal...and NOT reducing the herd. I got no problem with that, just curious if I have it correct?? As for kicking the DNR out of the picture, I have NO PROBLEM with that either...especially if the theory is the Army can manage the Ripley herd better, because they probably can!

15-Jul-16
Not sure if the DNR was kicked out of their staffing responsibility. More likely was DNR budget issues. I am guessing the army will provide staffing at the gate and check station.

One word of caution if you plan to attend one of these hunts. Civilian access to all bases has tightened up and the tightness depends on training happening and threat level. Since this is a short scheduled hunt training would be scheduled around it. But threat level could easily cause one or both of the hunts to get cancelled and possibly rescheduled later. Also as of a few months ago normal divers license is no longer good enough for access to military installations. Enhanced DL's, passports, passport cards, and military ID are now the preferred ID on military bases. I presume the same applies to national guard facilities like Ripley.

• Sitka Gear