redbuffalo 18-Jul-16
Spider1 19-Jul-16
RC 19-Jul-16
Bourbonator 20-Jul-16
rust4brains 22-Jul-16
HARRY CARRY 22-Jul-16
DaleHajas 23-Jul-16
18-Jul-16
A while back I won a longbow at my local club. I finally want to start shooting it, but have no idea what arrows to shoot off of it. It's 30# at 28 inches. I will only be shooting it for fun. Any help (from anyone other than a grouchy old timer named Roy) would be appreciated.

I'll bring it to the campout if anyone wants to teach me a thing or two about it.

Thanks!

18-Jul-16
Ok, I won't say a word or show you a thing about it then...

18-Jul-16
LOL! Hey Pat- good to hear you'll be there! We'll have to hit the course at some point. I will have my recurve.

18-Jul-16
That was too easy. RC is getting soft.

18-Jul-16
Not sure of your draw length but carbons in 600 or 700 spine should work. Can't help with wood arrows.

19-Jul-16
depends on if you want to shoot wood, aluminum, carbon or bamboo. But for information on a low poundage bow like that, RC would be the man to ask... better start sucking up to him, LOL!

You have a pretty standard draw length, somewhere around 27-28".

For wood, get a good cedar arrow spined right around 30#-35#.

for aluminum get some 1716's or 1816's if you have a longer draw length than I thought.

for carbons, 500-600 depending on point weight. If you are going with a light fieldpoint, 600. If you are using a heavy field point, 500.

19-Jul-16
Maybe now you will grow a set, and sell those wheels. :)

20-Jul-16
30# at 28" Ole Roy might be able to pull that one back! Lol They are a lot of fun!

22-Jul-16
I'll never get rid of the wheels, sorry.

22-Jul-16
I've used carbon 800's for low 30s weight bows, because that's all my bow are: from 31# to 37#.

My alum choices are 1716 with glue-in 50 grain points, or with inserts and 60 grain points. 1616s will also work well with a 30# bow, as I also use them regularly. Another alum choice would be 1813 or 1814 alums.

As for cedars, if you can find some older good condition target point arrows that were popular and easy to find in the 1970s in sporting and department stores, most of those were spined for lower weight bows. Their diameters may vary, but with a simple hand-flex test, the ones that flex fairly easily tend to be the ones spined for lower weight bows. True, not as methodical and precise as working with alums.....

Just my opinion, but I have all kinds of alums over here with various point combos for my various bows, and I can get most arrows from 1516s to 1816s to work with my gear, with just a little bit of experimenting....

Good Luck, rust...., and have fun with your longbow!

23-Jul-16
Uhhhhhh how about a pic and some info on the bow??? Who made it? Can you take a few pics- strung unstrung? Step-up Soldier!!:)))

• Sitka Gear