skookumjt 23-Jul-16
rick allison 23-Jul-16
rick allison 23-Jul-16
Buck Watcher 23-Jul-16
Mike F 23-Jul-16
Tweed 25-Jul-16
sharpspur@home 25-Jul-16
23-Jul-16
I have a nephew that Im close with who loves the outdoors....his parents however do not. He is 12 and really wants to come hunting. Being under 18 can he take a WI hunters safety course and use our address for him to hunt in state as a resident?

23-Jul-16

Mike F's Link
Here are the residency requirements -

The new regulations are on the DNR's website.

Resident Licenses Wisconsin residency

• A person must have maintained a permanent residence in Wisconsin for 30 consecutive days immediately before purchasing a license. Domiciliary intent is required. Evidence of domiciliary intent includes where the person votes, pays personal state income taxes or obtains a driver’s license. Mere presence in the state for a 30-day period and/or ownership of property is not sufficient to establish residency.

Note: non-residents age 10–17 who have a parent that is a Wisconsin resident may purchase licenses at resident prices.

Non-resident students attending school in Wisconsin • Full-time non-resident students in residence at any public or private Wisconsin college, technical college or university offering a degree or foreign citizens residing in the state and attending a Wisconsin high school or a university agricultural short course may purchase gun deer, archer, crossbow, small game, fishing and sports licenses at resident prices.

23-Jul-16
Thanks Mike, thats the reason for my question . Seems like he falls in a grey area. Im not his father but still a family member.

Maybe I can be his "father" for a couple weeks. All kidding aside Im mot trying to break any laws just dont want ti have to pay an arm and a leg for simething that will rarely be used and tags that are not probably to be filled.

23-Jul-16
Price for first time hunters (or after 10 years without a license) in Wisconsin are cheap even for nonresidents. That will get you by for this year. Looking forward keep it legal, you don't want to be teaching a kid to operate in the grey area.

Example, deer is $80

http://dnr.wi.gov/GoWild/nonresident.html

23-Jul-16
I started hunting way before I started carrying any type of weapon. Perhaps a few tag along hunts to see if he even wants to continue "hunting" before making a investment in time and money would be worth your time. Just an idea.

23-Jul-16
He can take the hunter safety course anywhere. He cannot "move" fir thirty days for the sole purpose of get a resident license. As mentioned, the first time licences are cheap. Way less than driving him up here.

23-Jul-16
All things aside...Wisconsin's prolly the best non-resident game around cost wise. Give a shout if it's too cost prohibitive and I'll pony up a few bucks...we gotta keep the next generation hunting, eh?

I mean it brother...not being a smart @$$ about it. It's always great the help steer a young man down the right path.

Keep us posted.

23-Jul-16
All things aside...Wisconsin's prolly the best non-resident game around cost wise. Give a shout if it's too cost prohibitive and I'll pony up a few bucks...we gotta keep the next generation hunting, eh?

I mean it brother...not being a smart @$$ about it. It's always great the help steer a young man down the right path.

Keep us posted.

23-Jul-16
If his residence in not in WI, he needs non-res license.

I think he can take the WI Hunter ed. Or he can take it in his home state and it will be valid in WI.

Call here and ask. 1-888-WDNRINFO (1-888-936-7463) They will tell you.

23-Jul-16
Tweed-

Check your PM's

25-Jul-16
Thank you all for the tips/suggestions.

25-Jul-16
The kid is a non resident cut and dried/black and white!

• Sitka Gear