DeerBuilder.com
Hunting tall pine woods
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
OmroHunter 27-Jul-16
27-Jul-16
Hey all - first time poster, but I've been watching the forum for a couple of weeks and like the knowledge that you all seem to share.

I secured 40 acres of tall red pines for both the bow and gun seasons and would like some tips for hunting the area. I have hunted marshes in the Fox Valley and the hills of Monroe County for years but this is my first symmetrical woods experience. The property has mainly 100' tall red pines that are 12' apart in straight rows but there are areas of scrub oaks and overgrowth. I realize that the overgrowth and scrub oak areas are places that I will stay out of for bedding reasons but how do you plan for that land? Look for trails mainly? That doesn't seem to work so well with the pine needle base. Scouting is going to be limited to cameras as the area cannot be accessed by anything but by foot and it is a 1.5 mile hike in at that. I did add a 12' x 60' ladino clover plot (by hand...holy hard work) in the only clearing I could find so I have one possible stand location (between the bedding area and the plot) but I'm looking for other ideas of things you all look for in this type of woods.

Thoughts?

• Sitka Gear