George D. Stout 20-Aug-16
brianhood 17-Sep-16
Jeff Durnell 18-Sep-16
Mr.Bowhunter 18-Sep-16
Dale Miller 19-Sep-16
28-Jul-16
Anyone seeing them

28-Jul-16
Apples in my area of 2D are average to below average. Most early trees got frosted but the later ones are about average to slightly below. Acorns so far - probably the best red oak crop I've seen for several years. Whites on the other hand are spotty - about average. That's a little preliminary on the whites as they are still pretty small and forming yet where as the Reds are quite visible.Will be doing some serious glassing here in the next week or two to make a final determination on both.The lack of rain is going to probably affect the overall sizes but if we get some rain (lots), that could help a lot on both apples,pears and acorns.

28-Jul-16
Apples, we have some... not a banner year. I haven't checked the acorns yet. I did see a bunch of pignut hickory nuts on the ground a couple weeks ago. Pretty early for that. Maybe because it's been so dry? Don't know.

28-Jul-16
Here in the n-e part of the state where I'm at,, apples and acorns are poor to none.

Ed

30-Jul-16

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo

30-Jul-16

31-Jul-16
Banner year for apples in my section of Potter. First decent crop since 2011.

Due to the drought, some have fallen already. We got about an inch of rain yesterday, that should help.

Extreme drought up here.

31-Jul-16
Apples around here in Latrobe are plentiful but some falling now as well. I picked a gallon and half of elderberries today. Never picked them this early before but 75% of the berries are stll green. Berries here were plentifull as well but I havent been in the woods to check the mast crop.

31-Jul-16
I was up in Potter this weekend. I saw the same thing Brad has. Tons of apples. A danged porcupine keeps getting up in my one apple tree and pruning it for me.

31-Jul-16
Lots of apples at home in cambria and at camp in warren county

01-Aug-16
Jeff, porkys love to climb apples and eat the apples.

We have quite a few porkys, they need thinned.

02-Aug-16
Yeah, their range is still expanding too. They keep coming farther south. They're well down into butler county now. They must just be cutting off small branches in that tree on their way to the apples. The branches they chewed off looked like water sprouts, not fruit bearing wood.

03-Aug-16
Cuz 50-60 deer in a field just ain't enough? lol

Or are you returning with the 223 to help the coyotes thin out the deer herd? Lol

08-Aug-16
I was out yesterday and the apple trees are loaded here in the SW part of the state. Looks like the acorns are gonna be good too. Already saw some new ones on the ground.

13-Aug-16

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
horsethief51 's embedded Photo
I have a few of those Bob McA. Do you call them sawtooth oaks or asiatic oaks? My dad got them from the PGC years ago. They are over 16 years old now and have been producing for quite a while.

Here in 2-D the red and white oaks are both producing. Took a while for the whites to catch up. About 50% of the apples are producing. the ones that are, are loaded. I have seen bucks eating green apples.

The elderberries are ripe and we have some poke weed starting new berries. Not sure but it may be a second crop, or just new plants.

13-Aug-16
I'm still waiting for the first crop of pokeberries here.

14-Aug-16
Sawtooth oaks. Got them from Blue Feather a few yeras ago. They started producing mast after the 3rd year.

15-Aug-16
Still have wing feathers in my freezer Jeff, next time you're swinging by here.

16-Aug-16
pm sent, Art.

20-Aug-16
Porcupines have been here in Bedford and Somerset Counties for quite a while now, so they are likely further south than most folks think.

17-Sep-16
I see porcupines every spring in Somerset county while turkey hunting.

18-Sep-16
I was mushroom hunting back on a game lands the other day and acorns are falling like rain... pignut hickories too.

I've been finding a lot of good fresh sulfur shelf mushrooms the last week or so.

Another interesting tidbit, a couple weeks ago I found what I believe to be a young river otter dead on the road. I had no idea they were around here. He was up on a ridge, but there was a BIG swamp and creek a half mile away.

18-Sep-16
Acorns doing well in eastern ohio, not so much for my apple trees. I also have 4 chestnut trees I grew from nuts from a neighbor. Three are still in pots and will get brought in to the sunlight soon. The biggest I planted a few years back. 5 yrs old and about 5 ft high. Will be quite some time before I see any nuts from it.

19-Sep-16
Quite simpply...Acorns yes, Apples YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Sitka Gear