skookumjt 03-Aug-16
smokey 03-Aug-16
Mike F 03-Aug-16
smokey 11-Aug-16
Amoebus 11-Aug-16
31-Jul-16

skookumjt's embedded Photo
skookumjt's embedded Photo
Worked on food plots for clients all day and got home thinking all I had to look forward to was a cold beer on the couch. Realized the conditions were near perfect to do a prescribed burn I haven't been able to do because it's been so humid. Figured as long as I was already filthy I might as well sneak it in. Turned out pretty good.

31-Jul-16
Ya looks like no wind at all slow and steady! Always suprised the amount heat that comes from what looks like next to nothing to burn!

01-Aug-16
When I was in Kansas last year there was a prescribed burn done a couple miles from me. I thought I was getting a wiff of smoke while on stand. On my way out I saw they had burned 3 square miles of mostly prarie grass that day. Amazed me they could burn that much so fast and keep it safe. Could see vehicle tracks crossing the area, probably with a drip device of some sort attached getting things going fast.

01-Aug-16
Nice. I sure miss doing those.

Funny thing I want to share. My career in FOrest Service had me qualified in wildfire and prescribed fire. As a retiree I can still work as a temp for USFS in wildfire but not in prescribed fire. No other agency has that restriction.

01-Aug-16
This burn was about an acre and a half and I got it burned in about 30 minutes by myself. I am going to try another one today that will be about 5 acres.

Smokey-if you are referring to WI DNR, you can do Rx burns as a volunteer. The last time I talked to someone there was a conflict between being an LTE forestry tech and doing prescribed burns which are more commonly done by wildlife. Different budget codes.

01-Aug-16
Skook-

What is involved in a prescribed burn and how does someone go about getting it done? I have a piece of grassland that I Would like rejuvenated.

01-Aug-16
USFS, Feds.

01-Aug-16
Mike-regulation-wise it just requires a special burning permit. Logistics-wise it requires a little training and equipment. It's like a lot of things, the more you know the better the results and the higher the safety margin.

I used to burn a lot with USFWS and some with DNR. Now I burn for clients and some conservation groups as part of my business.

Smokey-I'm not sure about USFS, but I know retired folks can AD for FWS, and I think the system would be the same for FS.

01-Aug-16
Skoomjt, reread my op. "No other Agency has that restriction." Only USFS has it.

I am a retired DFMO. 33 Years service.

01-Aug-16
I know other USFS AD's, so I'm not sure how they do it but it must be possible.

01-Aug-16
Ads are only allowed to work in wildfire not p-fire in USFS. They can do P-fire in other Fed agencies.

01-Aug-16
Huh. My ex's father used to help burn for them. Maybe something changed. At any rate, go work for Fish. They burn way more anyways. Lol.

01-Aug-16
Around here the USFS does more burning, sometimes they will call FWS or BIA but only when it is large burns; over 1000 acres. I would go with BIA since they are more active but still not much burning close by with them.

But to be honest, after 33 years and some health issues I really am not interested. i was only pointing out the foolish Forest Service rule. I am not the only one with plenty of qualifications and experience that would have continued but they lost a lot with that rule.

02-Aug-16
Sounds like a lot of paperwork and government sticking their nose in where I don't want it.

I will continue to cut and hope for the best.

Thanks,

02-Aug-16
A five minute conversation with a DNR forester to verify that burn is going to be done safely doesn't seem too intrusive to be able to accomplish a lot of objectives but that's me.

02-Aug-16
Looks good. I bet you already have some green sprouting through.

02-Aug-16
Mike F I agree with Skoomjt on that. Not much paperwork and they are just verifying the burn can be done safely.

While I was working one of my duties was to check those burn permit sites. There were a few contractors wanting to burn large debris piles during drought and windy conditions with tons of fuel nearby waiting to catch fire. No go until conditions were met. Most others got the approval as long as conditions were deemed safe.

If you have never done p-fire you might want to get in touch with someone that has the experience. Burns can be simple or complex but all can be done safely if done right.

02-Aug-16
Long ago, before I got into wildland firefighting a friend wanted help burning a vacant lot behind his house so a bunch of hunting buddies went over. He was going to just light the upwind side and let it go. Even then I realized that was a bad idea and told him to light the downwind side and let it burn into the wind. He grudgingly gave in because he was in a hurry but kept pushing to light the other end. When he finally did, there 20 plus foot flames within ten seconds and it burned across the whole thing in just a few more seconds.

Knowing what I know now, I have zero doubt he would have burned down his neighbor's house if we wouldn't have lit the backing fire first. End of March or beginning of april, steady wind, high pressure..... That was a valuable lesson that I think of all the time.

Rx fire can be incredibly valuable for habitat management, reducing potential wildfire risk, etc. and I use it as often as possible for my own use and for clients. The flip side is that it needs to be done correctly to not only be safe but to accomplish the objectives.

03-Aug-16
Mike F,

I believe under an acre does not require anything than a typical burning permit. Double check the DNR regs first though.

03-Aug-16
Nrwby is right, an annual permit and the associated requirements are all you need for less than an acre. A special permit can authorize larger burns and more flexibility on allowable times.

03-Aug-16

smokey's Link
I tried to find online the size requirements but it is not clear. At one time it was on the permit but things have changed. Acreage or piles are spelled out differently. It can vary by area. Look at the areas too that are not covered by DNR permits.

03-Aug-16
Now that sounds like more of the way to go. I am talking over 10 acres and it can be broken down into small pieces. I will have to give the DNR a call tomorrow.

11-Aug-16

smokey's Link
I meant to post this link a while back but kept forgetting.

I used this site a lot for information on fire effects when building a burn plan. It might get a bit deep but a wealth of information at this site.

11-Aug-16
My pop has burned his prairie (2-3 acres) for the last 20 years. Only once did it get slightly out of control and the neighbor's tractor was needed to help control it.

Another neighbor of his decided to burn without the precautions and ended up burning 30+ acres. He would have burned my pop's house without a lucky wind change. It also only went out when it hit a road and ran out of fuel.

I don't think the USFS precautions are too intrusive.

• Sitka Gear