razorhead 05-Aug-16
Jeff in MN 05-Aug-16
razorhead 05-Aug-16
Zinger 07-Aug-16
razorhead 08-Aug-16
Pete-pec 10-Aug-16
happygolucky 11-Aug-16
01-Aug-16
We are looking for someone who may be willing to donate their 2016 bear tag to a disabled hunter. All other aspects of this hunt are being taken care of, just looking for a tag. Every year the great folks at Red's Big Bear Lodge along with Empowered Dream Hunts Inc sponsor a Youth Dream hunt. There is now a second disabled hunter that would like to get out in the woods this fall.

I donated my tag last year and had a blast hanging out around the campfire with all the people involved while the tag recipient was on stand. On the third night, we heard a rifle shot and Hunter Hill of Medford was successful in taking a nice bear due to the efforts of all the generous people who put this all together.

If anyone is interested or has any questions, please contact me!

Thank you!

Brian Kronstedt

01-Aug-16
I don't know anyone unfortunately. Have you contacted the DNR for a tag? We get them as part of our youth program. The deadline has likely already passed, but might help for next year. If you do find someone with a tag, the deadline is either verys soon or just passed. Good luck with the hunt.

01-Aug-16
Brian,

I will ask around. We've donated 3 tags in the last 2 years. It's great that we are now able to transfer them to the Vet's too!!

01-Aug-16
Red's is in the middle of zone A for anyone who is checking.

02-Aug-16
So a question. My wife has 4 points right now and has told me that she now does not want to hunt a bear due to work and the time she would need to put in. She's an RN. We put in always for zone C. So I know if I say to get a kill permit for 2017 she would get one and I could donate/transfer the tag. My question, does it have to stay in zone C or can the kill tag go to a youth/vet in any zone cause I would donate it and not let the points go to waste.

02-Aug-16
It only takes two years to get a tag in zone C, so she should have drawn already but to answer your question, the tag is only for the unit drawn for. Otherwise everyone would draw for C and try to transfer it to A or B.

02-Aug-16
I wonder if a year or two could be knocked off the wait time for people who actually want to bear hunt if all the tag transfer stuff was eliminated? So sick of hearing about some person who has no desire to bear hunt putting in for a tag to transfer it to someone else.

02-Aug-16
I doubt that the number of tags is that grwat since they can't be transferred to just anyone, but as much as I am an advocate of getting young hunters out in the woods I might like to see the transfers eliminated too. Points can be applied for before youths are old enough to hunt so it's really not necessary.

02-Aug-16
Zinger, my wife had all intentions to hunt bear and had applied for the past 4 years but this year told me with work and time she does not. I don't want to let her points go to waste but would rather transfer them to a kid or vet who does. So I don't hope your sick of hearing about that.

02-Aug-16
TrapperJack, if your wife quits applying for points, the points she has accumulated wouldn't go to waste because it just means that one other person would get drawn for the license instead of her.

02-Aug-16
TrapperJack, I think you were asking a different question than Skook answered.

Points earned by just applying for a point or in failed attempts to draw a tag can be used apply for a license in any unit once the person decides to actually go for a tag.

So, if you were applying for say A and for some reason you or a person that the tag will be donated to wants to hunt in B all you need to do is apply for B the next time.

02-Aug-16
Trapper-

Your wife only has to apply once every 3 years to keep her points. If she doesn't want to waste her points there are plenty of guides who will help you transfer her tag to a kid or a vet.

Yes zone C you can get a tag every other year if you want, but other zones take longer. If she is set on hunting zone c she can wait to apply for a kill tag 3 years from now.

Zinger - As far as being selfish and taking a kid or a vet hunting. It's my tag and what I choose to do with it is my decision.

I think it's pretty selfish thinking that anyone who is a healthy human who will have many years to hunt wouldn't transfer a tag to a kid with cancer who might not live to see Christmas, or transfer it to a Purple Heart Vet who put his life on the line to protect what we too many times take for granted.

02-Aug-16
Well, I'm in! I did not try and draw this year, but I will certainly transfer my draw tag to a kid with a life threatening illness, or who is handicapped, or a wounded warrior for example. I have 12 points, and as long as someone gets to me early, I'll do that. I'm not at all familiar with the transfer system. Do I need to purchase the tag and then transfer, or this simply about points? Before anyone asks why I had so many points, it was because my son has Cystic Fibrosis, and I thought he might want to do a hunt with his pops. He does not want to kill an animal because it plays against his values a bit. He explained it like this. "I take an animal that want s to survive, while my life will be taken much sooner than it should? He started collecting when he was 14, and at 6 points, he decided he didn't want to do the hunt, and I don't have much interest either. He received a make-a-wish "wish", and I'd like to pay it forward. I would only ask for an update from the hunter if he was successful or not. No thank you needed, maybe a photo of success would be cool.

When the season comes around next year, and someone posts this question, or someone would like to PM me with more details on how I can lighten someone else's day, please do.

Brian, you asked first, so shoot me a PM so we can work it out for next season.

02-Aug-16
Pete-call the DNR number and they can get you started on the transfer process. I believe the process is that you buy your tag and then transfer, but I would have to check.

Mike-I was referring to all the people that are applying for tags just to give them to kids in general. Rather than that it would be simpler just to have the kids apply for points before they are old enough to actually hunt. Much simpler.

Disabled or ill kidd and vets are a different scenario altogether. In addition, as I mentioned above those situations are covered by special tags that the DNR can issue. We do it every year for our Hunt of a Lifetime event for two hunters.

02-Aug-16
"I think it's pretty selfish thinking that anyone who is a healthy human who will have many years to hunt wouldn't transfer a tag to a kid with cancer who might not live to see Christmas, or transfer it to a Purple Heart Vet who put his life on the line to protect what we too many times take for granted."

Actually it's pretty damn selfish that the DNR wouldn't just issue people a tag in these situations.

02-Aug-16
You do not have to buy the license before transferring a tag, the transferee will buy the tag.

Going thru this now, transferring my wife's tag approval to my 2nd daughter now. Just got the call that its approved for my daughter to buy a license in her name now.(I have to pay for that too)

Also a transferee can only have one tag given to them. That's how I understand it anyway.

I gave my 1st daughter my tag two years ago.

I know a lot of people don't care for this system but I personally like it.

02-Aug-16
Rut-they do we get them every year.

02-Aug-16
"Rut-they do we get them every year."

Then I stand corrected and that imo is great thing of them to do.

02-Aug-16
Skook-

I agree with what you said. Just an FYI, kids can't apply for a tag until they are 10 years old. That means if they are lucky they can hunt at age 12 with their own tag in zone C

03-Aug-16
I've got a tag for zone C that I'm not going to use. If there is a young kid that can use it, feel free to get a hold of me... I'm about a half hour north of LaCrosse...

04-Aug-16
A buddy has 2 tags for zone B. How does he go about donating them?

04-Aug-16
Mike, yes it's your tag but why are we allowed to transfer tags at all? Do most other tags allow one to transfer hard to get tags? I can see illegal mis-use of the transfer system happening real easy. You want to hunt a bear I'll transfer it to you as long as you "donate" some money to me or to me in a round about way.

I have all the respect in the world for veterans and Purple Heart members but should they get a tag every year then? I'm pretty sure they signed up to defend our great country, not so they can get bear tags or other special treatments.

How many dad's, moms, grandmas, and grandpas put in for a tag with no plans of using it but instead to transfer it? This is taking tags away from those of us who actually want a tag. I have no problem with transfering a tag to a child if you actually would use it if the child didn't use it but to just put in for tags without any interest in hunting yourself is wring IMHO.

04-Aug-16
Zinger-

Just an FYI we give the kids and vets the hunts. They don't give us a dime for anything we do for them. It's the way we give back. All we ask for is a hug and a handshake.

We would use the tags ourselves if we don't have others lined up and have in the past. Besides it's a once in a lifetime thing, they can only get one tag transferred to them.

Why are we allowed to transfer tags, great question. And I understand where you are coming from. I had issues with that early on, but once you take a kid or a vet on a hunt of a lifetime, and give back a little you will know the feelings we get from the hunts.

Of course we can get those kids or vets a tag in 2 years, but sometimes the kids don't have that much time left here on earth, so we transfer them tags.

Maybe you should look into the number of unused tags that go to the anti-hunters every year and are left to go unused, instead of the handful that get transferred.

04-Aug-16
To anyone looking to donating a tag now or in the future. Here's some info.

I donated my tag with the help and assistance of Joe Ramsey of Empowered Dream Hunts.

http://empowereddreamhuntsinc.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Empowered-Dream-Hunts-Inc-172446689558648/

Jerry Karlen from the Edgar Sportsmans Club coordinated the hunt (which took a lot of effort on his part).

Access to the land was provided by the owners of Red's Big Bear Lodge. They opened their home and provided food and drinks for anyone who stopped by for the entire weekend! There was 26 people at one time sitting around the fire in their backyard on Saturday night while Hunter was in the stand!

Feel free to PM with any questions.

04-Aug-16
Mike, I don't believe that the anti's are actually spending money to apply for tags for 10+ years and then paying the actual license fee. Maybe a handful but most anti's talk a good talk but when it comes time to write a check they are no wear to be found. Even if they do go through all the effort their numbers are irrevelevent because they go down as unsecsesful and that results in more tags being issued the next year as the success % is less. But I really think in the big realm the tags to anti's is probably a minescule % compared to the number of tags transfered.

I don't really have a problem with transfering a tag if you're an actual hunter, where I have a problem is when people are getting the tags for the express purpose of transfering it. My buddies father has been applying for like 14 years and just drew a tag for B this year and transfered it to his 16 year old granddaughter. When he started applying she was 2 years old and the thought of transfering it never crossed his mind until a year or so ago. I have no problem with this but if grandma or mom (who don't hunt) were applying for the purpose of transfering the tag I would be saying something,

05-Aug-16
If anti hunters apply for the tags and are successful in the draw I doubt they ever actually buy a license. They do take away the possibility of a real hunter drawing that tag and buying a license. Is that meaningful? No, because the DNR knows about how many licenses will not get purchased and increases the number allocated to the draw accordingly.

It might make an anti hunter feel good because they think they took a tag away from some hunter but in reality they accomplished nothing.

And like Zinger pointed out, even if they fork out the cash to buy the license it all comes out in the wash resulting in what amounts to an additional tag the following year because they probably did not shoot a bear. Heck, I am fine with them supporting the hunting community with their money in this manner.

05-Aug-16
well I know this game well...... no problem with tag transfer, but like Zinger pointed out, its abused....

I have said this all along, NO ONE, should be able to apply for a bear tag, unless you hold a valid hunting license,,,,,,

that would speed things up a bit,,,,,,

05-Aug-16
"I have said this all along, NO ONE, should be able to apply for a bear tag, unless you hold a valid hunting license,,,,,,"

Well, having to pay an extra $85 to buy just a NR small game license they don't need would certainly eliminate some non residents from applying for a bear preference point.

05-Aug-16
well I have seen the abuse of this system,,, of course cheap 3.00 applications, make more money,,,,, I drew in 89 92 95 98, than we went to hey let anyone and everyone apply, and you now have what you have today,,,,,,

not saying its right or wrong, just the way it is,,,,,

the transfer intent was to allow me, who actually hunts, and funds conservation like many, for many years, be able to transfer my tag to my daughter,,,,

then you had aunt mary and uncle joe, and momma at home with one in the bun, all apply, and tie up the system,,,,,

money talks, I realize that, I am a lone voice in the wind, getting blown over by the new winds of change,,,,,, hey kind of poetic

07-Aug-16
Wasn't it the Wisconsin Bear Hunting Association that pushed the transfer thing through? I'm guessing that there are a bunch of dog hunters in the group and this way 20 family members can apply for a tag and transfer them to "JR" so they can hunt every year. On the outset it sounded like a good idea and in reality it turned into a highly abused system.

The problem is that the transfer system will never be removed because it will turn into "you're trying to take away hunting opportunity for kids and veterans" thing.

08-Aug-16
Zinger you are spot on, and also they than realized they were bringing in a lot more money, with the 3.00 appications, again, nothing wrong with more funds, if they are spent wisely,

I love dog hunting, shot my last bear over dogs in 2008, but I know my friends with dogs, like the system,,,,,

10-Aug-16
Well, I worked out the plans for next year with the gentleman who organizes this great hunt for kids who quite frankly could use a break. Whatever your viewpoint is on donating tags, consider not the abuse, but instead the positives to this. If you can not find it your heart to feel remorse for children with hardships or their families that endure the pain, then I'm probably more sorry for you, than them. I had 13 points saved for a different plan, but that plan might have been interrupted for good reason. I believe I'll continue to draw after donating this tag, to offer it up once again. A wounded warrior in all their sacrifice, or a child with a disability or life threatening illness deserves something in return. If that means one of you waits another year to shoot a bear, sorry!

The original post by Brian was looking for a second tag, for a set of twins with a disability. If you know of anyone with a big heart, please contact Brian or myself, and we would love to get you in contact with Jerry. A wonderful man who wants the donor to be involved, and donates his time and efforts to simply alleviate someone else's pain a bit. Who do you think gets more reward from this simple gesture? You will! Only a week left to make it happen, so please share the idea with someone on the edge.

Thanks!

11-Aug-16
A friend of mine transferred his tag to my daughter when she was 12. What a tremendous experience for my daughter. I started applying for points for her at that time. She no longer has an interest in hunting but I am still getting points for her. I will return the favor and transfer her tag to my friend's grandchild when the time comes.

• Sitka Gear