Anterless only season gone-thank you DEC
New York
Contributors to this thread:
mrjeffro 04-Aug-16
mrjeffro 04-Aug-16
Shawn 05-Aug-16
onepin 09-Aug-16
04-Aug-16
This might be old news but I just got the email stating that the (stupid) 2015 ruling of being doe-only in certain zones for the first 2 weeks of bow season has been rescinded.

Apparently the anterless harvest in those chosen zones did not differ from the zones that did not have this restriction. It's good to see at least someone saw that their 'plan' didn't work and changed it back

04-Aug-16
The new bear hunting regulation now includes the taking of bears in the youth firearms hunt over Columbus Day weekend that was previously a deer-only event. The 2015 regulation that prohibited harvest of antlered deer during portions of the bow and muzzleloader seasons in Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 1C, 3M, 3S, 4J, 8A, 8C, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8N, 9A, and 9F has been rescinded, allowing the take of both antlered and antlerless deer during the entire bow and muzzleloader seasons in these units.

In these WMUs, deer populations are above desired levels, and the antlerless-only rule was implemented in 2015 as part of a multi-phase process to increase antlerless harvest. However, reported harvest of female deer did not differ substantially between the WMUs with the antlerless-only periods and nearby WMUs without the rule, nor did the antlerless-only periods increase reported female take as desired.

05-Aug-16
I have no clue why they did it in the first pmace. I have 138 acres in bow only and we did not hunt it until the 15th. Why bugger it early. We shoot some does but after the rut. I myself shoot doe fawns both early and late. Shawn

09-Aug-16
so no more waiting two weeks to shoot a buck? I didn't get my book yet. Rick

• Sitka Gear