drslyr 18-Aug-16
Peepin Tom 19-Aug-16
deerman406 19-Aug-16
Peepin Tom 26-Aug-16
deerman406 26-Aug-16
Peepin Tom 26-Aug-16
deerman406 27-Aug-16
09-Aug-16
What do you do to get ready for the bow season ? I start by scouting the area I hunt in late August. I shoot the bow just about every day for about 40 arrows at un-marked yardages. I am lucky to have my own 3D range of 32 targets spread out over 16 shooting location in a 5 acre cow pasture. the targets are placed were the pasture meets the hard woods. I have most of the targets are deer, some are 2D most are 3D, I also have a standing bear and two walking bears, and also some turkey 3d targets. My buddy and I shoot the course about every 3 days.

09-Aug-16
I will start preparing stand sites around the middle of august. I have already hung 4 new stands for this year. I just planted my last two food plots a week ago. I shoot my recurve every day and the compound I will start shooting in early Sept. I have been watching deer from observation stands for at least 3 weeks now and I have at least 3 true P&Y bucks around my properties. Need more rain in my part of NY but other then that things look good. Shawn

10-Aug-16
I can't afford a new Red Neck blind or I would love to place one along one of my plots. We have a dealer in Amsterdam NY but no cheaper then on-line. Shawn

10-Aug-16
I am just starting to get serious and in a routine shooting the bow. All my stands have been checked, trimmed, straps replaced etc.. Trail cams have been out since June on field edges and main trails and I try to check them every 2 to 3 weeks. Once mid sept comes and the bucks being to disperse I'll move most of them to perennial scrapes and try to see what bucks stuck around and which newcomers arrived. Would like to get a few new stands up, but just not enough time in the day

11-Aug-16
Bill, sounds like you have a great home course. Shawn, hope atleast 1 of this P&Y bucks sticks around for you. That's pretty rare to have 3 walkin around! Pat, great looking food plot. Those redneck blinds look awsome. I watch a lot of Midwest Whitetail with Bill Winke on the computet and he and his team swear by em.

13-Aug-16
lman they are spread out on three properties. One right by the house though so I have high hopes, I have only ever killed one P&Y in NY though so we will see. Good Luck to all! Shawn

16-Aug-16

C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
This is what I have been doing........ Shooting a 3D league. Great practice and fun.

17-Aug-16
Tore my biceps tendon in the spring right after I bought my new Halon so I have yet to even pull it from the new case. I'll give it till Sept. 1 then I'm giving it a go to see if I need to get it turned down. Planting this weekend, gonna be scrubby but even if I get some ground cover it should bring them in to nibble.

18-Aug-16
did the same Tom years ago, had to get a different bow that max out at 50 pounds and went as low as 35 pounds with 80% let off. It took me a full year to get back to shooting in the mid 50's pounds of draw...a lot of rehab work is required, it takes time to get well...good luck and hope you get well asap...

18-Aug-16
Thanks Bill,

It would not be as bad if I didn’t do the other arm last year! Totally sucks, I’m going to get my Halon turned down to 60 and give it a “Shot”, if that don’t work then I’ll have to think about a buying an Xgun…UGH.

18-Aug-16
Sweet old Bill, how far did you move from your place on One Eyed Road? I would come and shoot a round or two with you if you haven't moved to far away.

18-Aug-16
I'm crushed. For the first time in my life I think I'm gonna miss the whole hunting season. I started at 17. I'm 60 now. I have been scheduled for neck fusion surgery on sept 26. If I'm not killed or paralyzed by it i will probably have to watch hunting season go by on the sidelines. They tell me its a yr. for full recovery. and 2 to 3 months out of work. …..I know what yer thinkin 2 or 3 months outa work. yeeha lets hunt every day. unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Also up at our deer camp the surrounding farm planted soy beans this yr. for the first time in about 7yrs. And its the only farm to plant soy for a couple miles around us. I was at camp about a month ago and saw 1 herd of 40 deer feeding in them at dusk. I asked about waiting till after deer season and was warned that i could become completely paralyzed by a fall, a minor car accident, a slip in the woods ect. Good luck to all and time will tell if its a total no hunt for me.

19-Aug-16
Good luck Doc, better to get fixed now and be able to hunt those soy beans next year then never again! Now, seems your camp has an opening for a bow hunter....

19-Aug-16
Gun season would not be too bad drslyr. Sorry but you can slip and fall around the house. If you have a rifle area to hunt a 22-250 with the right bullet will kill plenty of whitetails and no real kick to worry about. I would think getting in the woods wood be some great medicine. Shawn

26-Aug-16
Went out to move a stand yesterday, it was only a 40yd move but does anyone else get that feeling when you get it hung and stand up on the platform and just know its gonna be a meat producer! Even with the tree sticks hanging a Gorilla onto an old Maple is still a very tough job! My poor arms and legs are still sore.

26-Aug-16
Tom, I do around 60 stands each year and I know I will be sore for the next couple weeks. Shawn

26-Aug-16
Dam Shawn I think I would be dead.

27-Aug-16
Yeah that is the ones in NY. I will do another 10-15 in Kansas and 8-10 in Nebraska this year too. Shawn

• Sitka Gear