Babysaph 23-Aug-16
M.P. 23-Aug-16
hoppies56 23-Aug-16
Babysaph 23-Aug-16
Big-Otis-Jeff 23-Aug-16
Ron Miller 23-Aug-16
JayD 23-Aug-16
09-Aug-16
I'll be Bowhunting in less than a month. Going to try and get a KY velvet buck. Joined a lease in Lewis county. 2 hrs. From Charleston, one hr. From WV border. Not all the big bucks are in western KY.

Lewis county has put 36 bucks in BC books. WV has put 24 in BC book for the WHOLE state.

09-Aug-16
Reminds us,how many bucks can you take in Lewis County Kentucky per year?

09-Aug-16
1, I think. LOL

09-Aug-16
I have a great idea, lets lower our buck limit so we can have bucks like Kentucky.

I know this has been talked about for years and years but sometimes i think people need to be reminded of what we are missing out on. Wvba,take notice of this and help change our limits so we can have what other states have.

Good luck in Kentucky

09-Aug-16
"I have a great idea, lets lower our buck limit so we can have bucks like Kentucky."

Hey! That does sound like a great idea.

:^)

Remember my old handle?

1buckurout

09-Aug-16
Sure would be great to have a one buck limit here in WV,but we never happen until we find away to off set the loss on money from sell of extra tags. and a person or persons with the power to push it.

09-Aug-16
It never hurts to dream.

09-Aug-16
Gosh , I never dreamed this post would bring this topic up again .

09-Aug-16
Sorry about the hijack. It just bums me out the Wv hunters have to travel out of state to hunt big bucks other than the 4 counties.

09-Aug-16
You would Think that with 2 Game Commissioners and both WVBA members that a Lower buck limit would be a Given ! Just MHO,

God bless,

Ron

We do have 2 members that are Commissioners, Right ?

09-Aug-16
There is 1 commissioner for lowering the buck limit i figure.The other has made it quite clear he is against it.

09-Aug-16
Yea yea yea. We have talked about that before. Remember what I have been saying all long? Won't happen. (And now finally it might get exciting) lol

09-Aug-16
I think gobbler said it alll. One county has entered more bucks than our whole state. And someone axed "what is the limit in that county"? The answer 1. Says it all

09-Aug-16
I won't be hunting deer for over a month but I'll take my does and maybe a spike in wv.

09-Aug-16
I thought THESE 2 Commissioners were hand in hand some time back ?

God bless ya,

Ron

10-Aug-16
I thought the DNR made recommendations on bag limits based on science. I guess our state is the only one in the region that has too many deer.

10-Aug-16
Babysaph, I think most recommendations by WV dnr are based on money.lol

10-Aug-16
Well Duh. LOL. That is my point. We can't have that many more deer than the surrounding states that only allow one buck. But we have been thru this before. We are managed for money and not quality.

10-Aug-16
On a more positive note I am getting some good pics of some nice spikes on my trail camera.

19-Aug-16
Curious... Been a member for 30-plus years, I suppose I should know, but... I wonder if the WVBA has an opinion about a one buck limit? ... and if they've ever polled the membership to get a consensus?

20-Aug-16
I was once told that there was a pole taken and 75 percent were for reducing the buck limit. I also heard that only about 100 people turned in the questionnaire.

Maybe the wvba could poll people who come to the fall rendezvous and definitely at the banquet next year

20-Aug-16
Who's gonna count the votes ?

God bless,

Ron

20-Aug-16
Im sure they will delegate someone to be in charge of counting votes. Its not rocket science. Or maybe allow the better buck organization to pass out their survey at the events. It would be for information only to see how the members feel.

What do you think ,little bear? Is this a possibility?

20-Aug-16
wont be long for season now.

20-Aug-16
M.P.,I didnt say it was Rocket Science, I'm saying in plain English, how about someone counting the surveys Besides someone that has Close Ties to our Commissioners ?

I'm with you Smokey, bowhunting in a month !

God bless,

Ron

20-Aug-16
What i meant is that it is a simple survey and easily checked by any of the board members. I do not think anyone from the wvba would mess with the results even if they were for or against the topic. To make sure to avoid any controversy maybe more.than 1 should do the counting.

I really believe this should happen

20-Aug-16
If they are willing to do the survey at the fall rendezvous ,i will help tally the votes with any of the b.o.d. or officers present

20-Aug-16
Well the results wouldn't matter Wouldn't chsnge anything in my opinion.

21-Aug-16
Babysaph is right, Will not matter until DNR is willing to listen, and someone has a plan to offset loss of extra tag money.

21-Aug-16
Kenny Wilson still wags the wvba tail. How else would Milne get a letter of approval? Lol. It's not about $$$$$$$ or they would have done something years ago. We have been losing star buck stamp revenue for roughly twenty years.

People want change. The DNR and the commission won't give it to us. No wonder numbers are going down. It's painfully obvious.

21-Aug-16
sundaynwv, Good seeing you back !

You are partly right, there's another member that's pulling his chain also, Old Time Politics are alive and well, our policies are the same as they were 25 years ago. I do however hold out hope from our new President,

God bless,

Ron

21-Aug-16
1 buck limit in other states has generated more revenue for them all while improving the health of the heard and the quality of the hunting. Meanwhile, in WV we continue to lose revenue year after year and try to fill the gap with extra buck tags. I understand that the DNR's hands are tied a bit by the legislature. However, if this is a money issue (and we all know it has to be considered), then the DNR needs to put a proposal before the legislature for a 1 buck limit and a new license fee structure with the support of thousands of hunters. An independent, 3rd party survey (already been asked of the commission) could give the DNR facts to stand on if they don't want to lean on the already organized strength of the Better Bucks movement. Getting the WVBA to stand behind their members wishes would help too.

Or just keep doing what they have been doing and wish for different results.

21-Aug-16
So does the legislature or the commission set the deer limits. I keep getting mixed answers.

21-Aug-16
The Commission

22-Aug-16
Well then the legislature has nothing to do with it. People keep saying that the DNR needs to listen to the wishes of the hunters. It looks like they have nothing to do with it. The DNR and the legislature have nothing to do with it if I am reading that right. It looks like the commissioners set the dates.

22-Aug-16
Mike, maybe little bear is on vacation? Otherwise, I'm sure he would have responded to you by now.

22-Aug-16
ยง20-1-17. Natural Resources Commission

(7) To fix by regulation which it is hereby empowered to promulgate, in accordance with the provisions of chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, the open seasons and the bag, creel, size, age, weight and sex limits with respect to wildlife in this state.

I'm of the opinion that the Commission has been given much more power than they've been willing to take upon themselves.

22-Aug-16
I could be wrong, Was my understanding commission only discussed and voted on recommendations made by DNR , Dont think they really do anything on there own.

22-Aug-16
If they make the decisions then they do not have to listen to the DNR. Why not just let the DNR make the season limits?

22-Aug-16
I dont a lower the buck limit has ever been voted on by the commissioners , because it has never been recommended or proposed by DNR. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

22-Aug-16
"...Why not just let the DNR make the season limits?"

Because those powers have been relegated to the Commission--maybe.

22-Aug-16
I think it is important to note the commission works for the sportsman, it is not meant for the sportsman to work for the commission.

The winds of change are blowing. We can't have certain people continue to be an anchor dragging down the sportsman. Other states are not losing revenue. We need to clean house and anyone who doesn't actively hunt, fish, or contribute to sportsmen should not be on the commission.

What would happen to a CFO of a company that had twenty years of continued downward spiral? I'm sure they wouldn't whistle when the constituents wanted answers.

22-Aug-16
Where the legislature is needed is to change the license structure along with the fees to allow the DNR to generate more revenue. Those recommendations need to come from the Commission. Sportsmen groups like WVBA and Better Bucks will need to rally behind the DNR and express their support to the legislature approving a new way of doing business. As it stands now one can kill one buck with a bow and another buck with a gun on a base license... correct? So, in essence the legislature is setting the buck limit to at least 2.

22-Aug-16
Yes, a lower limit was voted on 3-4 yrs ago and failed to pass at that time.

I would recommend that people go to a Commission meeting to see how they work and voice your opinion.

22-Aug-16
Thanks Gobbler , I didnt know it had been voted on before.Many things have changed over last 3 or 4 years.There are a lot of hunters pushing for change. Maybe next spring would be a good time to listen to wv hunters opinions and somehow get buck limits voted on once again.

22-Aug-16
Agree. Got to keep attending those meetings and speaking up for a lower limit.

23-Aug-16
That's my point Jimmy. If the DNR were calling the shots the game commissioners would not be setting the seasons.

23-Aug-16
This whole thing is confusing. Who voted on the lower buck limit 3-4 years ago?

23-Aug-16
DNR biologists make proposals such as bag limits, season dates or creel limits or changes to hunting and fishing regs to Natural Resources 7 man Commission,then the commission must approve or disapprove this proposals. I think that is how process works.

23-Aug-16
The commission generally follows the biologist's recommendations but not always. They can make changes that are in contrast to what is recommended by their biologists. So, in actuality the commission can approve, disapprove, or make and pass their own recommendations despite what the biologists recommend.

23-Aug-16
"That's my point Jimmy. If the DNR were calling the shots the game commissioners would not be setting the seasons."

If the DNR were calling the shots, there'd be no need for the Commission. I always figured their purpose was to serve as the unbiased buffer between agendas--political and otherwise.

23-Aug-16
I would bet the farm, The commission does very little to go against the proposals made DNR biologists. Make to many waves and and you wont be on that commission very long.

23-Aug-16
Gobbler will show up and let us know,

God bless ya,

Ron

23-Aug-16
Well then we don't need to lower the buck limit if the DNR is recommending to the commissioners based on science not to lower it. It is funny that our state's biology is so much different than surrounding states. WE are lucky guys that we have so many bucks. Other states don't apparently.

23-Aug-16
And If I understand it correctly the vote to lower the limit was very close so apparently some of the commissioners made waves by going against the DNR's recommendations.

23-Aug-16
How would you guys feel about raising the price of a licence to make up for the extra buck stamps fees if used to lower the buck kill down to 1 per year?

23-Aug-16
I would be all for it, if you look at Ohio you have to buy your buck tag. I think wv have some of lowest resident hunting license of many states.Just no sure how it would go over with a lot of hunters,We have not had a increase in license fees in long while.

23-Aug-16
It wouldn't bother me but I feel lots of other hunters would complain

23-Aug-16
They will complain over everything.....even if the DNR ws giving money away

23-Aug-16
I mentioned that VERY THING a year or so ago and was trashed for mentioning it,

Ron

23-Aug-16
Still not going to convince me that 1 and done is the way to go here. As to license increase - would like to see somethings done such as advertising in the regulations and web page, maybe an access fee for hikers, mountain bikers, kayakers and such if using WMA areas and boat access areas. Would also like to see DNR do a better job with some of the state parks and tourism. Family and some friends went to Cunningham Falls State Park over in Maryland several weeks ago to do some hiking - cost was $28 just to enter the park for each vehicle with 4 people and the place was packed! I am not saying need to go to that extent in price but might be time to start charging some of the visitors to our state to see such things as Blackwater Falls and other sites. Not saying that I cannot afford an increase in price but there are some who cannot and eventually we are going to run people out of our sport. The more reasons I hear for 1 buck and done plans sounds to me like getting some ideas from gun control advocates! JMO

• Sitka Gear