Treefarm 16-Aug-16
Bloodtrail 16-Aug-16
Bloodtrail 22-Aug-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 22-Aug-16
Bloodtrail 25-Aug-16
Jeff in MN 25-Aug-16
Bloodtrail 26-Aug-16
12-Aug-16
When it comes to bear hunting and the season opener draws near - I myself switch to a bait a day. I usually start 12 days out.

What do you think? Do you have a different method?

Also I have been moving bear scat from one bait to another to try and convince the bears there is another in the area and get their sooner!!

Maybe I'm just carrying crap around?

Thoughts!!

12-Aug-16
Never tried to move poop form one bait to another. Hey, if it works why not do it.

As far as baiting. I am baiting twice a week now and will change that to every day starting Tuesday before the opener and cutting back on the amount of bait and adding more protein to the baits, nuts, trail mix, peanut butter and such. One thing I do not do is cut back on sweets. I still use the gummies and jellies like before and keep the scents strong.

If you are able to hang stands early. And make sure not to get any bait scents on the stand or boo boo will find it and chew it to bits.

12-Aug-16
Good ideas. Remember: Calories. Bears are eating machines and go for as much as 25,000 kcal a day to fatten up this time of year.

13-Aug-16
I have used the poop trick a few times in attempts to get suspected nocturnal bears to come in during the day. Can't say it ever worked for us. Did not have cameras back then so really hard to know what was up besides reading tracks.

16-Aug-16
You guys carrying bear feces around really take it seriously. Try explaining your tactic to people who don't hunt and look at he expression on their face. I struggle with how you would explain it such that they would understand. Maybe relay the age old question, "Does a bear s$&* in the woods".

Good luck to all you bear hunters.

16-Aug-16
Treefarm - Good analogy!! LOL

22-Aug-16
Friday I plan on start baiting daily - only a few baits have regular visits.

We'll see - changing up the bait now as well.

22-Aug-16
BT When you say regular visits, how often is that? I have baits that are getting cleaned out every day. I know I have very little if any competition and cant keep them full. How many baits and how many tags for those baits?

We'll agree to disagree about hunting hours ok ;^(

25-Aug-16
I have 5 baits out and will go broke baiting them everyday -

So Friday I will take my 3 most consistent baits and do an everyday bait...

Nothing is fool proof...come opening day need to pick the golden spot for the little lady!

Hunting/shooting - at least you were polite to me - thanks!

25-Aug-16
Bloodtrail, just a suggestion. Maybe bait the ones you give up every 4th to 7th day, whatever works for you. Even alternate so you don't do them both the same day if that works out better for the route used on the other 3 you keep. Then if your chosen favorites don't pan out you still have some luke warm options.

I don't plan to do that with the ones I quit because they are way off my other route but I could still restart them if I needed to.

26-Aug-16
Thanks Jeff -

2 baits getting pounded now every night - 3 baits kinda cool....

Baiting everyday now...on the ones getting hit every 4th day on so-so baits!

• Sitka Gear