Nocturnal8 29-Sep-16
10BUCKS 10-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 10-Oct-16
TrapperJack2 11-Oct-16
Bow Crazy 11-Oct-16
Drop Tine 11-Oct-16
MuskyBuck 11-Oct-16
13-Aug-16
Last fall the acorn mast was incredible in the northwoods in northern Bayfield where I hunt. When scouting this spring there were areas that were still like walking on marbles with lots of uneaten acorns. If I recall correctly, the year before had a decent crop of acorns but nothing like this past fall.

What's it looking like this fall? Another "mast year?" I'm hearing reports of a good mast again and of course lots of browse/berries from this summer's great weather for all things green...and mosquitos.

I did some research on "mast" years and they are hard to predict and scientists definitely don't have all the answers. Interesting topic for me with my botany background.

13-Aug-16
Had some broken oak branches on the ground from the last big storm that went thru Juneau county and they were covered in still growing acorns. Most of my oaks are Red & Black.

13-Aug-16
I am not seeing much around here this year for acorns but there are still some areas I can't get to with closed roads.

"Mast" is the fruit of some trees; hard mast or soft mast. Acorns are hard mast. Mass gets misused with mast. "A mass of acorns" means a lot of acorns but acorn mast is sort of redundant.

14-Aug-16
Looks good north of Crivitz another good year, plus bigger then normal.

15-Aug-16
Last year was really good but zippo this year around here in EC Wi.

20-Aug-16
Everything I ave seen so far...on thr ground has been green!

20-Aug-16
Plenty of acorns dropping along the highway 8 corridor.

20-Aug-16
Sounds like some acorns around this year in many areas. Thanks for the posts. I will be checking my area in the next couple of days and will report.

24-Aug-16

MuskyBuck's embedded Photo
MuskyBuck's embedded Photo
Did some scouting and checked cameras on Monday in Bayfield Co. Weather was great and NO bugs. Lots of berries. I saw plenty of red oaks dropping big, green acorns along the logging roads I walked. I don't think it will be a banner year like last year, but I did see plenty dropping.

24-Aug-16
Just an "average" mast crop in the La Crosse area. We had a late frost in April and may have affected the crop.

29-Aug-16
TTT

02-Sep-16
I checked the oak trees in and around High Cliff Park and did not see very many acorns at all. I checked my 80 in Calumet County and zilch of acorns. Last year was a banner year for acorns this year not so much around here.

29-Sep-16
I can't find any fresh acorns in the 60 acre parcel of hardwoods that I squirrel and deer hunt on. Worst I've seen it. A ton of acorns last year but not this year. This is in Monroe county.

29-Sep-16
On my hunting property in Sauk County. We have ridges & valleys of white oaks that normally produce tons of acorns. This year I have yet to see one! Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zip. It does not look good. :(

29-Sep-16
I'm with you casekiska I've seen the same thing.

10-Oct-16
More then ever last year, none this year Barron county

10-Oct-16
Farmers almanac claims there will be a brutal winter? What does that mean for the animals who rely on this mass crop?

11-Oct-16
Our area last year was loaded and this year not a thing. This is in Portage Co.

11-Oct-16
Monroe County no acorns this year that I've found. Haven't even heard any hitting the ground. BC

11-Oct-16
Acorns dropped 2 or 3 weeks ago in my area of Lincoln Cty. from what I seen out bear hunting.

11-Oct-16
A brutal winter forecasted...say it aint so! Another severe winter would make three severe winters in the last five years. Not good for the deer or for me as I have to deal with keeping a 350 foot driveway open!! I did find some decent acorns this summer in Bayfield County, but it was very spotty. I'm going up Saturday to check it out.

• Sitka Gear