shedhead 22-Aug-16
shedhead 30-Aug-16
shedhead 30-Aug-16
shedhead 30-Aug-16
shedhead 30-Aug-16
shedhead 30-Aug-16
shedhead 30-Aug-16
14-Aug-16
Does anyone have chestnut trees that are actually producing nuts? The only stands I know of that are producing are some Hybrids in Vernon county and the stand of Americans by West Salem. I have heard from an unreliable source that someone has Dunstans producing in Buffalo county.

I'm trying to determine what type of tree will produce and how far north.

I have Dunstans that look pretty good actually in Jackson county as well as some chinese, american, and hybrids but nothing is over 3' and nothing is producing nuts. Then again none are over 3 years old.

15-Aug-16
I have dunstans that just staryed producing this year and have neighbors that bought mature stock from florida that is doing really well in winnebago cty. Also a friend has a nieghbor in tomahawk that has an american that is an awesome producer and they take nuts and plant yhem successfully thier.

15-Aug-16
we have tried the Dunstans in southern Clark, cold wet soil and they have been losers. A couple have made it but as a whole can't take the winters or ground or whatever... We've gone to Hazelnut bushes the last few years and they are growing like crazy.

15-Aug-16
Chestnut trees will not tolerate wet feet. Not at all!!!!

16-Aug-16
Great thread, keep the posts coming. I have to log my back 30 acres this winter and was wondering if it paid to plant some Chestnut trees next spring. What age are you seeing the trees produce nuts?

17-Aug-16
I have been planting Chestnuts for the last 5 years. Depending on funds...I usually spend about $150 bucks per year. So quantities planted each year have varied. I have tried them all..Duntstan, American, Chinese and Hybrids. I planted the Americans the first year...half survived. The are about 6ft tall and have not produced nuts. I planted the Dunstans second year, they all died after the second year. The Chinese were planted the third year, about 2/3rds are alive and about 3ft tall- no nuts. The last two years I have planted hybrids. Like the Chinese, 2/3rds are alive...some are foot tall and some are 4ft tall- no nuts. I will confess I am bit of a low maintenance kind of guy. I have put cages around some of them to keep the deer and other varmits away from them. I do attempt to knock the weeds down around them at least once a summer. I live in La Crosse County and my land is on a ridge top...so the soils vary. Mostly clay though. I am hoping to start seeing the trees produce in my lifetime...

19-Aug-16
Good info, I forgot to mention I know of an Americans growing in the north suburbs of the twin cities that are producing burrs, but no nuts due to no pollination, and a nursery by Rochester mn claims to have a chinkapin (shrub chestnut) growing and producing. I have a flat full of these shrubs to try as well.

20-Aug-16
Shedhead how old are your dunstans that are producing? Putting out just a few nuts are quite s bit?

21-Aug-16
I bought them as seven gallon 7ft trees two years ago and the trees are really doing good establishing themselves. Thier just starting to produce, only about half dozen nuts per tree. If i get oug to the land soon ill get some pics of them

21-Aug-16
Looking forward to the pics Shedhead. how many did you plant? what type of soil? how much spacing in-between trees?

22-Aug-16
Planted 15 on a slope staggered 30ft apart. Caged and mulched them all. Clay loam type soil. The 3 lowest on the hill died and i have to attribute it to too much moisture too long into the spring. I bought them all at walmart and returned thd 3 dead ones for a full refund. 2 niehbors planted the same typ stock with similar results. However 1 nieghbor planted 15 foot stock and is now getting about 5 gallons per tree out of his 70 trees.

30-Aug-16
Just was at our property and thier were more nuts on them before dont know if they just drop this early or what. Here are the pics

30-Aug-16

30-Aug-16

30-Aug-16

shedhead's embedded Photo

30-Aug-16

30-Aug-16

• Sitka Gear