Tweed 15-Aug-16
skookumjt 15-Aug-16
Mike F 15-Aug-16
skookumjt 15-Aug-16
Mike F 15-Aug-16
skookumjt 16-Aug-16
15-Aug-16
I need some help, so here goes.

We have a LTH Whitetail Deer Hunt Program here in Portage County. This program is designed to get those who have the desire to learn how to hunt, but don't have the direction needed to get involved.

I am involved with this project. I need your help. I am in need of about 10 people who want to learn how to hunt. The only restrictions are - They must be 10 years old or older on the first day of the hunt and have never purchased a deer hunting license before.

They will have to attend a class which will be held on October 1, where they will be paired up with their mentor and the hunt is October 29 & 30.

Last year the hunters were age 12 to 43.

If you know of anyone who would be interested in attending please let me know.

Thanks!

15-Aug-16
Will they have to provide their own weapon? Bow or Gun?

This sounds awesome!

15-Aug-16
For future reference, we give all the hunter safety students an application to participate in all of our LTH and outdoor education events. Then we mail them an invite for each event. Without a pool to draw from, it's really hard to get the word out and find the kids who would be interested in and benefit from the programs. Unfortunately the DNR can't give out the lists of graduates any more so we have to reach out to them.

15-Aug-16
They do not have to provide any equipment. All equipment and the license are provided. Unfortunately they can only use a firearm.

Skook-

You forget that this program is designed for those who come from a non-hunting family. Very seldom do we have any non-hunting families in hunter safety classes. If they are running the program as intended the program should be full of non hunting families getting trained on how to hunt whitetail deer.

15-Aug-16
It's intended to help youths learn to hunt in general. We take kids whose parents don't hunt, don't have parents at all, whose parents don't hunt particular species, and kids whose parents are hunters. If we have more applications than hunters, then we eliminate the ones who are likely to get opportunities with family.

We offer hunter safety as a summer school option in our local districts and encourage all students to take the class as a way to expand their horizons and about half come from non hunting families.

We've been doing LTH programs for 13 years and have introduced over 2000 young people to the outdoors and hunting.

15-Aug-16
I wish the school would allow us to do hunter safety, that would help a lot!

What school districts are letting you do that?

Do they allow live fire at a local range?

Sounds like a good plan, keep up the good work!

16-Aug-16
All three districts in our County have done it. One didn't this year, but I haven't found out why yet. We used to fire with pellet guns in the gym, but now we go to a local range to shoot 22's.

• Sitka Gear