CurveBow 12-Sep-16
Paul 13-Sep-16
EJG 14-Sep-16
Jdawg 16-Sep-16
drslyr 19-Sep-16
Jdawg 19-Sep-16
Bernie P. 26-Sep-16
15-Aug-16
I'm stuck in a shotgun only area for deer. Even though I've switched over to a Hastings rifled barrel a couple years ago, I've always shot the heavier, 1 1/4 oz Active, Fiocchi and most recently Litefield sabot slugs. You know, the flat-fronted type sabot slugs. Out of my 870 slug gun the recoil is enough to turn you into a bed wetter after 20+ shots.

The issue is the recoil of those rounds, especially since I just changed to a new scope and had to shoot quite a bit to get it where I wanted it. Maybe it's my advancing age but 20+ shots off a bench and I know my shoulder will hurt tomorrow.

Here's the question.....do the newer style "spitzer" style sabot slugs produce a less punishing recoil? Or, is the lighter weight offset by their higher velocity and ending up with the same recoil anyways?

15-Aug-16
No gun questions... but on the other hand...I settled on one oz hollow points and 2 3/4 inch shells for my rifled barreled 870. Lighter bullets were matched with more powder and kicked like hell. Same with 3 inch shells. I get about 3 inches of drop at 100 yards. I laser bore sight will save you some punishment. Good luck,

15-Aug-16
J I can't specifically answer that question, but I can tell you I use a Remington 20 ga. Semi with a rifled slug barrel... not the knockdown of a 12ga. but accurate as heck! I can shoot all day and look ma, no ice pack!

15-Aug-16
Have the barrel pinned on the 870, pretty simple and the accuracy will improve a ton. You should be able to sight it in with just a few shots and it will hold zero. The problem with 90% of the slug guns out there is the barrel is not lugged to the action, having it pinned will improve accuracy a whole lot. I have had my barrels pinned on my 20 gauge 870 and also on my 11-87. Both used to shoot 5-6" groups at 100 yards with lightfields or winchester BRI slugs, now both will do 3"s or less and not need to be re-sighted in after 10 shots. Shawn

15-Aug-16
Thanks for the guidance...that helps.

18-Aug-16
I can relate to this as I own 2 870's. One smooth bore and one a rifled barrel. My first one is over 48 years old. Get a Lead Sled you will sight in quickly and with no discomfort.

19-Aug-16
I went from a slug gun to my muzzleloader during shotgun season. It kicks way less and is sometimes more accurate than a slug gun. My 2 cents.

12-Sep-16
I used to use an 870 for years. I also have a Hastings barrel and topped it with a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope. I drilled and tapped it myself as the "saddle" mounts were too tall, I felt.

Yes, I believe that the newer sabot slugs will produce less recoil.

Also, when buying slugs, always check the ends/flaps of the boxes for the case lot number. I have had different lots of the same ammo shoot to very different points of impact!

I think that pinning the barrel to the magazine tube is a worthwhile idea. I never did it, but thought about it a bunch.

I think that using Remington Copper Solids, I could get 3" groups at 100 yards from a bench.

>>>>---good luck----->

13-Sep-16
Try the KO's they are deadly and don't beat you up

14-Sep-16
lead sled and limbsaver recoil pad are great investments IMO

16-Sep-16
Thanks for the great feedback. I tried a few of the Lightfield Lites and they were surprisingly easier to shoot and as accurate as the others if not a bit better. The barrel pinning is something I've heard about. There's a gunsmith about 30 minutes from here has been doing slug gun accurizing for quite a few years and as I recall, barrel pinning is a key part of it. Might consider it.

19-Sep-16
I agree with EJG. Lead sled is awesome. I'm shooting a TC Encore 21" full rifled barrel out of the TC custom shop. 3" chamber shooting Federal copper sabots Barnes expander bullets. If I hadn't used a led sled while sighting in I woulda had a dislocated shoulder. Once I found the load the gun liked thats all I shoot. The barrel has its own scope so its just a quick trip to the range each yr. to check zero on the gun. This gun is a tack driver. 1.5 in groups off the bench at 100yds. Funny thing too when firing at a deer I never feel the recoil nor hear the blast.

19-Sep-16
That's a funny thing about never feeling the recoil when shooting at game. Similarly, the report of the shot always sounds kinda muffled and far away. Even a single shot at the range without ear protection and your ears would ring for a long time and you'd be lucky to escape damage. Call it shooters paradox.....kinda like "archers paradox".

26-Sep-16
I use the MTM Shoulder Guard rest with lead shot in the compartment.http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/shooting-rests.html Much cheaper than the lead sled and works great.Got mine on sale from Midway.I've shot LOTS of heavy loads including 3 1/2" 4 buck to find the best choke/loads for coyotes and slugs for deer.Lived to tell the tale.

• Sitka Gear