Bloodtrail 20-Aug-16
MF 20-Aug-16
HunterR 20-Aug-16
BowBrother 21-Aug-16
Drop Tine 21-Aug-16
Tweed 23-Aug-16
Swampy 24-Aug-16
17-Aug-16
How many of you guy's smoke your hunting cloth's during the season . Since I've started the results can't be denied with deer spooking or not . Anyone else hear do it and how were your results ?

17-Aug-16
I've considered the idea myself, only because the woods I hunt is surrounded by people who burn wood during the chilly months. Doesn't seem to bother the deer for sure, and I'd believe that smelling like wood beats smelling like man, but I'm afraid we'd smell like a stinky person plus wood.

17-Aug-16
I smoke mine with cigarettes while I'm hunting. It seems to work well. My human stink is covered by the cig stink. Deer don't seem to spook from the cigarette. I know it's a bad habit but whatever keeps me in the stand.

17-Aug-16
I've read that native americans would smoke their clothes before a hunt. I'm thinking the science behind it is similar to smoke curing meat, there's a chemical reaction the neutralizes bacteria and other things that make you smelly.

17-Aug-16
@Crusader my first deer I shot (gun)20 years ago was when I was in the middle of a smoke just after eating an egg sandwiche. I think they just want part of the action.

17-Aug-16
Well...last weekend I smoked a brisket, 2 racks of ribs, a turkey breast, and a pot of baked beans. But haven't tried my hunting clothes yet.

What kinda rub would one use? ;^)

17-Aug-16
I'll let ya know this season.

I just gave up smoking - 2 months now and have always smoked in the stand.

I rarely got busted and I think it was due to the cigarette smoke.

I will report this November....

Pat

17-Aug-16
I have used a bee smoker and hardwood chips to smoke my gear for 2 years now. No nothing eliminates human scent. Yes I hunt the wind, but deer do sometimes come in downwind. Yes I still get busted when they get downwind, but not always. Does it help, I think so. It's not just a cover scent, there's a chemical in hardwood smoke that kills bacteria. Bacteria is what causes scent. I will say if you do it. Do not smoke up your facemask. The constant strong woodsmoke smell will give you a headache.

That all said, I may not do it this year. I have some small ozone units that I run in my totes. They really knock out any scent in your clothing. The smoke smell on all my clothes and gear was almost too much last year.

BT, congrats on quitting that nasty, smelly habit. I know it's hard to quit. But you will be so much better off for doing it.

20-Aug-16
Thanks Rut -

It has been a hard road for sure.

Fight the battle everyday and it will get better.

I have allot more lung capacity!

20-Aug-16
Yes Native Americans did smoke their clothing and some even went vegan for up to a month before they hunted. Is there something to this! might be.

20-Aug-16
I've never wood smoked my hunting clothes but as a smoker for 15 years and now a non-smoker for 10 I can honestly say I've been busted by a deer's nose much more as a non-smoker. I remember several times having deer 5-10 yards downwind when in a blind on the ground while having a cigarette burning, this seldom has happened to me as a non-smoker. In my opinion deer are accustomed to cigarette smoke and wood smoke and I even think the smoke might overpower other scents they would normally pick up on, but that's just my opinion. What I know for sure is that I saw a noticeable change after I stopped smoking in stand, so much that at times I thought about starting again! I might hang one set of my hunting clothes near the bon-fire pit one of these evenings and smoke em up and see how things play out this season! Good thread!

21-Aug-16
I've been using ozone from an air purifier the last two years and have seen more deer and closer to me than before. I am a big believer in it.

21-Aug-16
I just put my stuff in a tote with pine bows. Put a Samich bag in the cut end so sap doesn't get in your clothes. Lost of pine in the northwoods.

23-Aug-16
So it seems that deer dont mind cigs, how do you think they fwel anout the pleasant aroma of coffee in the morning?

24-Aug-16
Tweed depends if it's decafe or not .

• Sitka Gear