smokey 22-Aug-16
smokey 22-Aug-16
Cheesehead Mike 22-Aug-16
TC 22-Aug-16
Wallydog 22-Aug-16
TC 22-Aug-16
smokey 22-Aug-16
19-Aug-16
Headed up to Bayfield co. for the opener on the 17th. Was wondering if the herd looks any better than the recent years? Im a FIB so haven't got up there yet for a scout. Maybe next weekend.

19-Aug-16
There might be a few more deer than 3 years ago due to the last two mild winters and the recent reduction in doe tags but the wolves are still holding the deer herd down.

We'll need to do something about the wolves and we'll need more mild winters and continued reduction in antlerless tags if the northern deer herd is ever going to recover...

19-Aug-16
Bayfield is still buck only if my info is right. It was buck only 25 yrs ago too Mike and there were a lot of deer. Wolves must be a big factor by the guys Ive talked to near Spooner. Too bad.

19-Aug-16
The herd is coming back. Wolves and bears are taking some deer. Winter was major impact a couple of years back and we should have a wolf season but that would not alone make a huge difference. If wolves were the only impact I wonder why it was only after two hard winters the herd crashed.

Seeing many does with twins and some nice older bucks again. Still not the high of a few years ago but improving.

Alos, check out the County map on closed roads. It might be some time before all the roads are opened due to the July 100 year storm. At least one of my areas remains closed unless I walk 4-5 miles on way.

19-Aug-16
Wallydog,

It may have been buck only 25 years ago (I can't confirm or deny) and it is buck only now (unless you are a youth or disabled) but I do know that in the recent years prior to it just now becoming buck only the DNR waged war on the antlerless population with too many antlerless tags provided as well as T-Zone hunts and Earn-A-Buck forcing us to shoot does in order to "earn" our buck tags.

In my opinion that was total mismanagement by the DNR and they were out of touch and clueless as to the challenges from winter and wolves that the deer herd was already coping with.

Smokey,

In my opinion from my barstool, it was a combination of factors.

Yes, the 2 brutal back to back winters killed a lot of deer but it was not because they starved to death in crowded and over-browsed deer yards. I believe it was simply because the winter was so brutal that it was difficult for any deer to survive. I'm sure the brutal winters also had extreme negative affects on pregnant does.

The deer herds were already at extremely reduced levels due to too many antlerless tags and an out of control wolf population and along came the 2 brutal back to back winters. So many of the few remaining deer died.

Again, it's not like they died in overcrowded and over-browsed deer yards like they did in years past because there simply weren't enough deer left to overcrowd anything.

If the DNR would have factored in the wolf depredation and the fact that brutal winters are possible and then not killed off so many antlerless deer in the years prior there would have been more deer on the landscape and there would have been more deer left after the brutal winters.

Yes, maybe the brutal winters killed 50% of the deer but if there would have been more deer to start with the 50% that survived would have been a larger number and the herd wouldn't have such a deep population hole to try to climb out of.

The last two winters have been mild. We need a few more good years before we will see an increase in bucks over 4 years old.

19-Aug-16
"If wolves were the only impact I wonder why it was only after two hard winters the herd crashed."

Hard winters, no logging, way too many doe tags, and way too many predators. Sure wolves aren't the only factor. But they are a big current one that is keeping the herd down.

19-Aug-16
I'd like to add that there is plenty of logging activity going on in the part of Bayfield County that I'm familiar with. That combined with acorns that are so thick some years that it is like walking on marbles results in way more food and habitat than there is deer. Habitat and food is not the problem in most of Bayfield County.

Also, myself and my friends who hunt/hunted there have noticed fluctuations in the deer herd following bad winters and we have also seen them bounce back after bad winters.

Over the past 10 years or so we have observed the steady decline of the deer herd and a steady increase in wolf numbers and failure on the part of the DNR to recognize the trend and limit antlerless tags until it was too late and the herd crashed.

Bad winters come and go and the deer have always bounced back but the decline caused by too many wolves and too many antlerless tags has been steady and there has been no bouncing back over the last 10 plus years, just steady decline.

Hopefully they are recovering now...

19-Aug-16
Mike I agree somewhat, the DNR (actually Feds) should have seen the issue with predators before the hard winters. But the herd was not way down before the hard years and is coming back as long as we keep antlerless tags out and winters are easy. But is we go too many easy years without antlerless tags we will be right back where we were two years ago.

Wolves,bears and coyotes take a lot of deer in total no doubt. Add up that number and see how many it is locally.

An interesting thought: Many complain there is no season on wolves. a season that would reduce the wolf population and bring back the deer herd. Really? Why are those same people not out shooting coyotes?

19-Aug-16
But to get back on topic. Herd is down but not out so go out and enjoy the hunt.

19-Aug-16
"Why are those same people not out shooting coyotes?"

More coyotes yes, but they don't affect the deer herd like a pack of wolves do. Bears are a huge issue. Lots of bears, and they are killer on spring fawns.

19-Aug-16
I have hunted Bayfield since 1977 and Mike is spot on with my experience. I also believe the huge bear population is a lot bigger issue than many people think. Hoping to see some improvement this Nov.!

19-Aug-16
I think we all agree that it could be better.

19-Aug-16
Judging by my last fall's cam pics, there might not be a lot of deer but there are a couple "big boys" out there if you can pin them down.

19-Aug-16
Less deer means the bucks travel more come November. Pick a funnel and have some patience.

19-Aug-16
I say don't waste your money or time hunting in Northern Bayfield County.

20-Aug-16
I will find the best bed area I can and then some food sources. Hunt the funnels and clear cut edges and see what happens. MF.. I am getting long in the tooth and I find that Id rather hunt with my buds and go home empty than to sit and watch TV idiots ramble on. Only so many seasons on a mans docket. I been going since 1981. The herd used to fluctuate in roughly 4 yr. cycles numbers wise. Bad winters are the worst on a herd. I think there was a perfect storm if you will of Winter, Wolves, Earn a Buck, Bear kills. I have to say that when it was Buck only we did better over all.

20-Aug-16
Wallydog....I live and breath the outdoors (Bayfield County) and have to say I don't give up to easily when it comes to whitetail hunting. I have hunted some of the best country up here, public and private, seen the ups and downs, I have waited long enough for the deer to rebound. This will be the first year since 1976 that I will not buy a archery license. If its the comradery and hunting with friends you want that's great, you might get lucky and release an arrow, that's what its all about.

As for your initial question, a little less from over the winter with adult deer and a good spring fawn crop for now.

21-Aug-16
Mike touched on something here. I don't know anyone without an agenda that would seriously say that the deer heard needs to be reduced because the habitat can't provide for the numbers if we have a bad winter.

With the predator numbers, which go a long way towards managing the deer population (especially if it is already low), the deer density goal should be much higher than it is. The estimated wolf, bear, bobcat and coyote populations should have more to do with the deer density goals than the deer population itself.

If bear tags aren't going to be increased to manage the high bear population, and if the wolf population is not going to be managed, the deer density goals should be adjusted accordingly.

21-Aug-16
A lot of roads are still closed. Was through the area yesterday in my way home from Canada. That alone might have a impact on where you can hunt. Did see some deer here and there.

22-Aug-16
stp2, all mammals need calories, take in more than needed and the mammal gains weight, take in too few calories and the mammals will loose weight and if done long enough they starve, Deer, humans, tec are mammals; look at areas in the world with human starvation and then at deer populations. If the deer cannot get to the food or there is not enough some will starve. It has happened many times and that is why there is a limit called carrying capacity.

One of the arguments we hunters have against the anti-hunters is we harvest the biological surplus so the deer do not starve. Why let the deer starve when we can shoot them and utilize the meat?

We had many easy winters and the herd grew to large numbers and so did the predators with the growing orey numbers. More deer meant more impact on the food source. When the hard winters arrived some areas had less available food. Yes, some areas had a lot of food but the deer were unable to get to that food.

The high predator number will keep the herd from recovering as fast as it did when there were few predators. It is good to try to reduce those predators and good to not have antlerless tags in those years of recovery.

Road kills are up and trailcam pics look like improvement. I wish that we could place minerals in the off season so we could do better off season surveys.

22-Aug-16
Smokey,

I'm not sure what parts of Bayfield County you hunt but I have to respectfully and strongly disagree with your statement:

"But the herd was not way down before the hard years..."

In my experience and most of the guys I know who have hunted up there for years the herd was in serious trouble before the two bad back to back winters. In fact the deer herd up there had already been reduced to near unhuntable levels and the two brutal winters were simply the coup de grace which wiped out a large percentage of what remained.

I realize that the DNR currently has no power to control the wolf population but they should have realized that years ago and factored wolf depredation into the antlerless tag quota. If they would have done their due diligence and realized what was happening to the northern deer herd they would have reduced or eliminated antlerless tags years ago and not forced the asinine T-Zones and EAB seasons on us.

If it was my job to manage a resource and the resource nearly disappeared under my watch I would not expect to have a job anymore.

In regard to deer starving, in my opinion it has been many years since deer starved in Bayfield County for lack of food. Yes, some deer may have starved because the winter was so brutal that they couldn't get to any food but it wasn't because they were in an over-crowded over-browsed deer yard. That last bad winter was so brutal that a large percentage of deer were going to die regardless. If the DNR had reduced the northern deer herd down to only 2 deer remaining it's a very good chance that one or both of them would have died during that last brutal winter and it's certainly not because those 2 deer had exceeded the carrying capacity of the land.

On the other hand, if the DNR had not reduced the deer numbers so greatly then after the brutal winter killed half of the deer there would have been a lot more deer left. Half of 10,000 is a lot more than half of 2.

And again, the deer in the part of Bayfield County that I am familiar with currently have almost zero impact on habitat and food sources because the habitat and food sources are vastly greater than the deer numbers. The deer herd is a long long way from reaching the carrying capacity of the land.

I also strongly disagree with this statement that you made:

"But is we go too many easy years without antlerless tags we will be right back where we were two years ago."

That statement is based on the premise that there were too many deer two years ago. I'm not sure where you were two years ago, but there certainly was not a surplus of deer in northern Bayfield County two years ago. It sounds like we're talking about two different Bayfield Counties. Heck, 4 years ago the herd was in such bad shape that many guys had already given up. The thought that we should reinstate antlerless tags if the herd gets to the point where it was two years ago is extremely alarming.

I don't think antlerless tags are justified if the herd recovers to where it was even 10 years ago. In fact as long as there is an out of control un-managed wolf population and bad winters there should not be any antlerless tags; there simply is not nor will there ever be a surplus of deer on the northern landscape as long as the predators are not properly managed not to mention the possibility of the brutal winter wild card.

22-Aug-16
If deer starved in the two hard winters then starting with more deer would have meant more deer would have starved.

22-Aug-16
It will be interesting to see what happens if the County Deer Committees hold off on antlerless tags and herd rebuilds then get hit with a couple of hard winters. I know, it's the wolves ;-) What else could it be?

22-Aug-16
Yes but there would have been more deer to survive too.

My point is that the issuing of antlerless tags is a management tool. With the current pressure put on by wolves (and other predators) and unpredictable winters there is no need to use antlerless tags as a management tool. Wolves and winters are taking care of the surplus, hunters don't need to shoot off the surplus.

I just wish that for once the DNR would error on the conservative side and let the deer herd grow instead of trying to shoot off every doe on the landscape. The northern landscape can definitely handle more deer. If a few more die during the winter it's not the end of the world. I'd rather error on the side of a few too many deer than always being on the short side. I think most hunters would agree.

And yes, I know it's not just the wolves; it's all predators, bad winters and too many antlerless tags. But which one of those factors can we control? Currently only one and that's the antlerless tag quota which should have been reduced and/or eliminated several years ago before the herd crashed.

22-Aug-16
Been hunting Bayfield County since the late 60's. Have kept a journal for almost that long. One item I keep track of is deer seen. An average season for me is about 15-20 days hunted between bow and gun. My journal records that my deer seen during hunting hours numbers were pretty consistent throughout the 70's at about 30-45 a year. Starting in the mid to late 80's that number went down and I believe coincided with the DNR's efforts at increasing the bear population. I have been wandering these woods (northern Bayfield County) since I was 10 and for years the only bear I would see is when my parents took us to the dump to watch the bears (pretty regular activity growing up). I never saw one in the woods. Starting in the mid 80's I started seeing bears on a regular basis, a couple a year. Grew to almost every time I went out in the mid to late 80's. My "deer seen" numbers were cut in half about that time (15-20 a year). Remembering that 98% of what I saw always were does. Winters in the 60's and 70's were consistently nasty, just about every winter with deep snow and cold. Didn't seem to affect the deer much from year to year. Winters started changing in the 80's, moderating and variable from year to year. The DNR did a great job bringing back the bears and generating interest from hunters to hunt them. As hunting quotas rose for bear my frequency of sightings went down, but just at that time the wolves were introduced. In the past 5 years my deer sighting for my group of 4 are as follows: 0,2,3,1 (couldn't get to our stands in late season and only hunted a couple times early)and last year 11. The easy winter last year helped a lot but our sightings of wolves in our area went way down, (think they moved on to better hunting area). Bottom line, yes the easy winter did help, buck only will help but find out if there is an active wolf pack in your area and if so look elsewhere. Also look for active logging in your area or preferably an area logged a couple years ago, use that area. Bigger issue with north woods archery is trying to pattern the deer. I assume you are not baiting. Find an old apple tree or some other distinctive favorite food source and camp on it (not acorns because the woods are literally riddled with them). You will see deer, patterning one in the big woods and getting a shot is another issue. Good Luck!!

22-Aug-16
Not going to bait TC. Well I might throw out some apples but its going to be for a trail cam to get some pics. I have a bowl that was logged about 3 yrs ago. Will put a stand on the edge of that and real high up so as to see deer far away. Then maybe move the stand if I can nail down the entrance and exit trails. Got another stand near a road crossing they will use

22-Aug-16
Wallydog, Best of luck, will be pulling for you. Will be out in October.

22-Aug-16
Mike, I agree that with the high predator numbers we should hold off on antlerless tags ( we have been ). I do not think DNR was shooting off all the does either though. Look at registration numbers that held high for so long. Fawns in the spring replaced most of those shot,at least until the hard winters. Predators eat deer so I doubt the DNR wants to eliminate their food source.

Since no one can predict the winters it is hard to know when to stop antlerless shooting so that is the reason for establishing a level of CC. With the predators numbers and habitat changes it is necessary to look at that number from time to time. Maybe now with the County Deer Advisory Committees it is getting a better look.

Wallydog, sorry to get off topic. Good luck. One thing though is hunting the northwoods is an adventure, not easy but fun. Just don't plan on a hunt like the TV shows. Also since you will be out on the opener, bring your Thermacell.

• Sitka Gear