Contributors to this thread:
mick 21-Aug-16
ghost stalker 22-Aug-16
mick 23-Aug-16
ghost stalker 23-Aug-16
ghost stalker 23-Aug-16
mick 25-Aug-16
21-Aug-16
Hi, I drew the 1st rifle season in the sixes for elk. Looking for any help/info that anyone is willing to share. I`m from WI and have never been there or ever hunted Roosevelt elk. Thank You,

Mick

22-Aug-16
There's a lot of elk in there, but there is also a lot of private property.

23-Aug-16
Hi, Ghost stalker Are you meaning private property holds most of the elk? Also is private timber Co. land there open to hunting? Thank You, Mick

23-Aug-16
Yes most of the elk will be on private lands. However, there are bulls be had on the public land. Find the small pockets of public lands that are close to the ag lands and you should be able to get into some elk. Some private timber lands will be open to hunting. Weyerhouser owns land in there and they charge a fee to hunt there land. You can get a list of the private timberlands in the unit on odfw website. If I were you I'd scout google earth and get 3-4 different areas to check out and when you get out here bugle an area and if you don't get any responses go to your other areas and do the same thing until you get one that wants to fight. A lot of people will tell you that rosies are not vocal or aggressive that's complete bs. Be ready for thick, steep and deep. The Oregon coast range is no joke. Hope ya get a big one

23-Aug-16
I forgot your doing a rifle hunt. My previous post is a archery tactic. For rifle I would hunt above the ag lands and hunt the edges of the clear cuts.

25-Aug-16
Thanks for your info/post.

Mick

• Sitka Gear