Tweed 23-Aug-16
Cheesehead Mike 23-Aug-16
Nocturnal8 23-Aug-16
Pasquinell 23-Aug-16
Nocturnal8 23-Aug-16
Nocturnal8 23-Aug-16
22-Aug-16

22-Aug-16
Hahahaha! Let me get some popcorn and I'll be right back.

22-Aug-16
Only tip I got is stay off the Community Forum..

22-Aug-16
Play the wind. Find out where they sleep and eat. Don't crawl in bed with them or jump on their dinner plate. Get out and scout and scout more. Look for fresh drippings, runways. Find places to hunt of the beaten path. Good luck!

22-Aug-16
Pick a public area. Scout, scout, scout. Look for sign (Beds, tracks, droppings, scrapes, rubs,etc) rather than deer.

Also try to scout hunting pressure (old stands, cut lanes, trash, etc).

Then, start hunting and refine your opinions based on what you see.

22-Aug-16
Just curious, do you consider yourself a "bow hunter" because you use a crossbow?

Many will disagree...

22-Aug-16
Glad you guys cleared that up for him. Seriously...

22-Aug-16
Thanks for the clarification, BowTech. Have a great day.

22-Aug-16
Well thanks for the help, guess I'll get off your forums since crossbows are not welcomed here. At least I don't have an ego, or have to slam people for going a different route to harvest an animal.

22-Aug-16
Where is Zinger when you need him?!!!

22-Aug-16
This is exactly why I don't bother posting anymore. Jump on to check things out. And what do you know. Jack wagon bow tech downing yet another thread.

22-Aug-16
Pse bow hunter. Hopefully you haven't left. If your new to any kind of forum, you'll see there's low people on every one. That's the way life is. Just ignore them.

If your new to hunting all around. Scout your tail off if you can. Follow all the edges, like hardwoods hitting pines, or hardwoods meeting a swamp or marsh. Jefferson county public has lots of marshes. Look for many different stands. Don't hunt the same one over and over. Move around. Start from the beginning and work your way to the back, as far as hunting goes. That way you don't burn all your spots at once. If you have a lot of hunting pressure in your area. Look for hideouts or overlooked areas.

If you have any questions, you can pm me. I'd be glad to help you. Good luck this all if I don't hear from you.

22-Aug-16
Write this down because it will NOT happen again. I agree with Bow_Tech. A crossbow hunter is just that. I'm not bashing them, or even anti-crossbow as I once was. I even bought one to play with and let the kids use if they wish. If I or my kids do hunt with it, we will be crossbow hunters not bowhunters. I will say the biggest challenge with this thing is remembering to shoot different spots when target shooting. If not I wreck bolts.

22-Aug-16
It's unfortunate that people had to beat up a new hunter that came here looking for advice. All of us should have been eager to welcome a new hunter, no matter what his weapon of choice is. If you don't like it crossbows, talk to your legislators, DNR, NRB, or your local WCC delegates. Everyone will have a chance to weigh in when the sunset comes around.

To the OP, welcome to hunting and good luck. Starting from scratch without a mentor to show you the ropes is certainly a challenge but there are lots of resources like these forums, magazines, books, and videos. Take advantage of any of them that you can. You'll find that most hunters are more than willing to share knowledge in an effort to help someone that is new and seeking help. In any group, there are people that can be mean or spiteful. Just ignore them. Maybe you will one day decide that you want the additional challenge of a vertical bow, but if not don't let anyone shame you.

The one piece of advice I'll throw in is to not be too selective. If there are enough deer in the area you decide to hunt, shoot some to get some experience and learn from the mistakes that you are bound to make-just like all of us did.

Good luck.

23-Aug-16
there is always nonsense, on any thread,,,,,, don't let it bother you,,,, good site for hunting info, just ask,,,,,,,

hey skook, when does that sunset come around,,,,, I thought it had passed, just curious,,,,,,,

hunt legal, and be a good sportsman

23-Aug-16
Let's rip on another hunter going our ranks! RC you make me sick!

23-Aug-16
I don't remember for sure when the sunset is, but I'm thinking this is the third and final year?

23-Aug-16
RC bullshit! We all know you post under different names. Why are you back here again? Have a little decency and don't keep coming to a place that you've been banned and you're not welcome to be at. DO you not have any other places you can go to that you're not despised? You don't need to answer that question because we know you've been banned from every other site and they actually have filters that don't allow you to just sign up again after you've been banned.

23-Aug-16
I don't see anybody bashing the OP, just merely pointing out that a crossbow is not the same as a bow.

The name of the thread is:

"New to bowhunting"

And then the OP posted that he just bought a PSE crossbow.

Apparently he didn't realize that hunting with a crossbow is not "bowhunting" and it is not considered "archery".

The DNR agrees and there are separate tags for each weapon.

Some people are a little over-sensitive...

23-Aug-16
Zinger you should stay off bowsite for good, Bow tech too. You guys have really tainted the Wisconsin forum. There was some arguing here and there but not on every thread.

Poor kid says the wrong thing and you guys jump down his throat. That's as low as anyone can be.

Blood trail this site rarely shares information. And when its shared, it's only by a select few. Every thread gets turned for the worse.

23-Aug-16
RC you sound like Hillary, just keep denying your lies and eventually people might forget that it's actually a lie.

Nocturnal. RC is a constant problem on here and has been banned countless times under his RC name and more times under different names that he uses. He's been banned from just about every other site he's been on also, why is that? Because he's a cancer to every site he's on. I just point out that he's not supposed to be here.

23-Aug-16
Cheesehead mike: he's new to hunting. He was asking for tips about hunting. He clearly had no idea about the difference between the two. So what? Is it sensitive for people to defend him or is it sensitive that others have to correct him in a disrespectful way? "Let me grab some popcorn I'll be right back." He left and I don't blame him. The kid will probably never join another forum because of the idiocy some people spew. I'm not pointing my finger your way. As harsh as it may sound, it's the truth. Some people just can't help themselves

23-Aug-16
Zinger: Sooooooo what? Lol everyone knows it. Ignore his posts like everyone else does. It's quite comical to see him return, even if he's never left.

23-Aug-16
I'm sorry noc. Please forgive me. I should never had said such a dasderly thing like popcorn.

Hopefully I didn't ruin him so bad he can't bring himself to go on another forum. Hopefully he will, a crossbow one.

23-Aug-16
Skook and Razor, Noc -

Nice posts!

I say welcome any NEW hunter into the fold - I don't care if he/she hunts with a slingshot!

Welcome!

There are some fella's here with some GREAT insight and great ideas for hunting - so your weapon does not matter as much as you look for the "gems" on here and forget about the negative posters!

Good Luck!!

23-Aug-16
I say welcome to the site to a newbie. I do not think anyone should apologize for pointing out the difference between a BH and CBH. That's part of the problem with this country. Too many worried about offending others even if you are just being truthful.

23-Aug-16
Pasq: no need to say sorry. I expect that kind of thing from you. ;) By all means eat away!

23-Aug-16
As a new hunter myself I'll say that some of you guys are invaluable and I really appreciate the tips and PMs.

All the arguing to me is just entertaining. You old farts really should lighten up.

In Newbie related news...looking at the DNR public access map there are a number of plots by me that are colored purple labeled Stewardship Grant Acquisition. I've done some looking on the DNR page but haven't seen anything whether hunting is permitted or not on these parcels. Any of you old timers have any insight?

23-Aug-16
I'll reiterate that nobody was critical of the guy or slammed him for using a crossbow we merely pointed out the difference.

It's no different than any other misconception that gets straightened out.

I'm pretty sure that Pasquinell just said he'd get the popcorn because he knew this would blow up and be entertaining and he was right. He was not disrespectful to the guy...

Again, some people are just too sensitive. It's kind of like how the news can't report the race of a suspected criminal if the criminal is not white.

Some people are just looking for a reason to be upset...

23-Aug-16
pushing a new guy off the forum because of a title or weapon of choice seems sensitive enough.

23-Aug-16
Noc Mike is correct that's all I was saying. It's gonna blow up and nothing against the guy at all. I don't know if the guy is a regular stirring the pot, a handicapped person who needs a crossbow or whatever.

And guess what... I am against bathroom of choice too!!! The horror!!!!!

23-Aug-16
Rancid all your comments are irrelevant. Soon your account will be (temporarily) banned just like the other forums. You my friend are too funny! Hello good-bye

23-Aug-16
Fair enough pasq: Not a big deal. In all honesty I knew what you meant. I looked back and realized what I said. I apologize

• Sitka Gear