skookumjt 28-Aug-16
razorhead 28-Aug-16
razorhead 28-Aug-16
Tweed 16-Sep-16
Mad_Angler 16-Sep-16
retro 16-Sep-16
CaptMike 16-Sep-16
25-Aug-16
Shopping for new broadheads and was curious what folks' opinions are. What are the pros/cons?

Any other thoughts on broadheads would be appreciated as well. Any type over rated?

This will be my first full season of bow hunting.

25-Aug-16
Really just looking for any broadhead advice/opinions.

I'm shooting a 30/40 year old Bear Polar compound at #50.

25-Aug-16
^sorry....computer didn't refresh so didn't see RC's reply.

25-Aug-16
When you shoot a compound -

Do yourself a favor - look no further than the RAGE broadhead or the NAP Spitfire -

Both are awesome heads and leave a wound channel(s) you can drive a truck through!

RC would have the best advise I suspect on a recurve bow at 50#

25-Aug-16

deadeye's Link
Personally I went from Muzzy fixed 3 blade to the Dirtnapgear broad head and couldn't be happier. They go through so fast you think you missed!

25-Aug-16
Shooting a fifty pound bow shoot a cut on contact head . Light weight bow go with a Thunder Head . A heavier Mach. would work fine .

25-Aug-16
I'm on BTs side here, I've been using rage two blade and they fly exactly like my field points. I switched from muzzy 3's to rage three blade and then to rage two blade

Pros with rage two blade are true flight and huge entrance wounds

Cons with rage two blade are they basically are a one kill per head blade and if you are only shooting 50 lbs there is not a good chance of a pass through. So if you hit a deer high even thought it will have a huge wound, most of the blood will be inside the cavity which could make tracking difficult.

Being a beginner it will be more likely that you have a high hit especially since you are going to be hunting from the ground so keep that in mind as well. "Aim low, go slow" is a good mantra to live by when hunting from the ground.

25-Aug-16
One of the often ignored reasons I use cut on contact broadheads is safety. I don't want to have to reach inside a deer cavity with any question if there is any part of a broadhead unaccounted for. The fixed blade's I use are cut on contact (as are many) and I use them so I don't have to gut out a deer with a blade possibly still inside the deer. Plus I like the simplicity, ruggedness, potential reuse... of them.

For turkey, I use mechanical with as blunt a tip as possible. I want to transfer as much energy into the bird as possible. IE waste energy on the bird.

25-Aug-16
I switched to COC a few years back and prior to going out west Elk hunting. Once I started to use them I have not switched back - I personally use Magnus Stingers and have been very happy with their performance and the product as a whole

25-Aug-16

Buckiller's embedded Photo
Buckiller's embedded Photo
Trophy taker shuttle t-lock, fly great, tough, and penetration is awesome

25-Aug-16
Magnus Stinger 4 blade have worked great for me!

25-Aug-16

When you shoot a compound - Do yourself a favor - look no further than the RAGE broadhead or the NAP Spitfire -

Both are awesome heads and leave a wound channel(s) you can drive a truck through!

RC would have the best advise I suspect on a recurve bow at 50#

^^^BAD advice. Since you are shooting a 40 year old 50# bow mechanicals are the last thing you should look at. Correction...you should not look at mechanicals.

Any solid, sharp, well made fixed head will work. My experience is that QAD Exodus, NAP HellRazors or even Thunderheads will not let you down. Find one that flys well from your bow. I am using Exodus again this year.

25-Aug-16
Crusader mentioned how 2 blades flew more true to field points than 3 blades. Can anyone else speak to this?

25-Aug-16
Inused Rage Hypodermic and Chisel Tips last year. 3 were perfect shots where the deer didn't go more than 30 yards. One I hit I thought was too far back, but the deer was quartering away. Gaping exit hole, but the deer still went 500/600 yards. I've heard amazing reviews about Ramcats, so I grabbed a pack. Going to give those a shot right off the bat. I don't think I'll shoot more than 35 yards, and that's asking a lot. They fly amazing.

25-Aug-16
I'm a trad guy and really like the Grizzly 2 blade single bevel. Great flight and amazing results from that little 1-1/8" cut.

Read Dr. Ed Ashby's studies on single bevel...interesting.

Otherwise, lots of great choices out there.

26-Aug-16
Muzzy Phantom

28-Aug-16
I shoot a cut on contact out of my stick bow, and still prefer the bear razorhead, but will be using the DRT head this year, flies well, and is scary sharp....

Like RC stated, tuned well to the right arrow, and I stump shoot, and have been impressed with its toughness so far.......

I never understood the problems guys have had with bh's out of compounds,,,,, I have never shot anything, that would not fly, but others are better than some....

shot muzzys than went to a ST (not impressed), than went for a lot of years, with the Razor Cap, but needed feathers to get it to fly well..... Magnus were good heads etc,,,,,,, working for a camp, seen a lot of Rage fans,,,, saw a lot of poor penetration with them, but it was not the head, the shooter was using too light of an arrow in my opinion.....

now I shoot the Ram Cat 125 grains, out of the compound,,,, the damage it did to my ram, was a convincer, and that is going thru rear quarter, and out the left shoulder.......

speaking of Rage, last week at the Sportsman Sale at Midwest Guns, they had private vendor area,,,, I found 6 Rage heads, all new, in a Rage red arrow container, and the guy said they were purchased new in 2014, never used,,,,,, 40.00 I think that was a good buy

28-Aug-16
Considering the tv celebrities rarely get even mediocre penetration with Rages with modern equipment, I'm guessing his 40 year old Polar won't be a good fit for them.

28-Aug-16
Tweed I would simply shoot a 2 blade cut on contact for that bow, or a 125 thunderhead.......

I would get a good arrow, and chronograph the speed, not to show the speed so much, but to emphasize the need for a cut on contact head with that set up....

I would also first take that bow, to a quality shop, and have it checked out, to make sure the cables etc, can take the stress of lots of shooting,,,,,

28-Aug-16
one more thing, do not even think of shooting a mechanical out of that older set up, not going to work

16-Sep-16
Just read this over on the leatherwall and thought to share it here. I'm sure most already know this but is still a nice read:

In bowhunting, it?s all about the broadhead. It must slice cleanly with little or no bruising or tearing of the tissue. In very simplified terms, when a razor-sharp blade slices living tissue (muscle and/or organs) without bruising or tearing the tissue it has sliced, the brain fails to initiate the process which causes blood coagulation, resulting in extreme hemorrhaging.

The faster the hemorrhaging, the faster the oxygen supply (which is carried in the blood) is deprived from the brain, rendering the animal unconscious. Most animals taken with bow and arrow fall to the ground unconscious before death actually occurs. So, for bowhunters, the object is to create massive hemorrhaging with a razor-sharp broadhead. The sharper the broadhead, the quicker the animal will be dispatched.

Now, back to that original question: How sharp is sharp enough? Simply put ? razor-shaving sharp! Anything less is irresponsible and unethical. A broadhead should shave hair cleanly and effortlessly. If your broadheads won?t do that, then sharpen them or throw them away.

This brings us to the crux of the matter: Most hunters don?t know how to put that true razor?s edge on a broadhead, or even a knife blade for that matter. They buy pre-sharpened broadheads and assume they are sharp enough. Regardless of what it says on the package, if the blade won?t melt hair cleanly off your arm, it isn?t sharp enough for hunting purposes.

Ragged Edge vs. Smooth Edge There is an ongoing argument among bowhunters about the best way to sharpen a broadhead. Some argue that a ragged edge kills quicker or better than a smooth razor?s edge. This argument can only exist where there is ignorance of what causes the greatest degree of hemorrhaging in the first place. The ragged edge proponents are simply wrong. A ragged edge creates minute tearing of tissue as it cuts, something like the teeth of a saw. That tearing actually helps initiate coagulation. A smooth razor?s edge does not.

If you have ever nicked yourself while shaving with a safety razor, you can attest to the difficulty of stopping the bleeding. This free flow of blood occurs because coagulation is not initiated, due to the fact that the tissue was not bruised or torn.

Compound that same principle by the lethal blades of a broadhead passing through internal organs and you begin to understand the massive hemorrhaging created by such a wound. The bottom line is this: The sharper your broadhead, the faster it dispatches the game through which it passes.

16-Sep-16
I like cut-on-contact VPAs. They are super solid and you can kill multiple animals with the same head. They are also easy to sharpen and resharpen.

If I was hunting elk, I would never consider Rage heads. Most experienced elk hunters do not like Rages (but many Elk are killed by Rages).

For whitetails, Rages are probably fine.

16-Sep-16
If it makes you feel good to spend $15 a head, by all means shoot a mechanical. Throw it away when your done or be married to the manufacturer for replacement blades and get bent again. The alternative is to buy a fixed blade (Zwickey, Ace, Magnus, Simmons, VPA etc..) Much cheaper and can be reused and resharpened until you lose it. Its your money to decide.

16-Sep-16
Without a doubt, fixed blade. The T.V. people use the expandables because they get paid for it. Most guides prefer to not see them being used because they result in more wounded and unrecovered animals.

• Sitka Gear