CaptMike 19-Sep-16
Tweed 19-Sep-16
South Farm 20-Sep-16
Jeff in MN 20-Sep-16
Tweed 20-Sep-16
brewcrewmike 26-Sep-16
bfisherman11 26-Sep-16
28-Aug-16
I cannot remember skeeters as bad as they are this year. Maybe a Canada trip years ago was worse, but this is NUTZ!

Standing water everywhere has masses of airborne pests clouding about every bear bait!

Early bow hunters - your on the menu as well -

I don't know what anyone else has been experiencing...but this is crazy bad!

29-Aug-16
Was out yesterday baiting bears in Portage Co. and hardly had any buzzing me plus was camping all weekend and none could be found.

29-Aug-16
Hardly any in the Hayward area for weeks now. Maybe a couple of them bother me in the 5 hours it takes me to bait. I even started a new bait on Saturday so I was in one spot for a long time and still not much. I still spray my pants with permithryn and hat and face with deet tho. I also wear a sweatshirt with long sleves which helps. It makes me sweat a lot but so what, I drink almost a half gallon of water to compensate. You would have to pay to get this kind of workout at a gym.

29-Aug-16
I haven't had to wear bug spray for months in Rusk County. I was even sitting outside talking on the phone after 9 wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Never seen anything like it.

29-Aug-16
I checked cams Sunday and had maybe two mosquitos when in the woods. Not many around my house near Seeley at this time either. A few weeks ago though they were thick everywhere I went.

Last week they were still thick along the Birkie trail and prior to an event at CO. OO near the trail the organizers had the area sprayed on Wed. Mosquitos were back two days later. some areas nothing while others have a bunch.

29-Aug-16
I was going to say they haven't been bad here in Chippewa county while baiting, and that's true. But last night while out in the yard shooting my bow, they hammered me. That is until I went in and got the thermacell. The little black gnats were terrible last night as well.

29-Aug-16
Out running bear yesterday in Licoln and Langlade counties and they were not bad at all. A few around but not clouds of them.

29-Aug-16
Well Christ - they all moved to my area!

Damn it!

29-Aug-16
Skeeters are bad at my place in Chippewa County, I live in town and normally don't have a problem, since the rain storm a couple weeks ago are yard flooded and they are everywhere. Can't even take the dog out in the afternoon without being chased back inside!

29-Aug-16
Just got back from the first half of my baiting route. Not a single skeeter and it is WET, rain stopped but 99% humidity.

29-Aug-16
Maybe they'are all drowned?

Wouldn't that be nice.

29-Aug-16
Thermacells work real well.

29-Aug-16
Well buddy looks like your on your own on this one . LOL

29-Aug-16
I was in S.W. Shawano County for three days last week, and was surprised how few there were. I was expecting it to be much worse.

29-Aug-16
I was in the woods from about 4:30 till 6:00 and they started to come out but still not terrible.

29-Aug-16
A month ago in Fremont they almost carried me away. Last week, I didn't get a single bite. This could be the calm before the storm...

30-Aug-16
Calm before the storm, could be. I plan to have the thermocell in my pack when bear hunting next week just in case.

30-Aug-16
I agree. Keep the Thermacell handy. It's been too wet to get off this easy.

30-Aug-16
They are HELL here boys!

30-Aug-16
almost bought another thermacell today at Cabelas, but they were reduced from 39 to 29 dollars.....I went to fleet farm same thermacell for 19.00 with 5 dollar rebate,,,, cover for 9.00 bucks so I saved some money, bought one for my bear hunting friend.......

30-Aug-16
Razor- the FF in the Falls?

30-Aug-16
Was out tonight at dusk. The little ones are back. The thermacell will be welcomed in the stand next week. Take note.....

31-Aug-16
I baited today and there was not a skeeter out.

31-Aug-16
I worked on the Birkie trail north Tuesday and they were annoying. Not the worst I have seen them but bad enough to be a pest if I would have been trying to hunt.

31-Aug-16
Very few skeeters or flies for that matter,but pretty dry.

31-Aug-16
Skeeters were once again terrible in my yard. Anywhere in the woods they aren't bad. But they are terrible thick around the house.

01-Sep-16
I about died again baiting - I carry a IV with extra blood just so I can make it out if it gets any worse!!!

01-Sep-16
They weren't bad at all today in the swamps while baiting. Since I had the day off I tried to work in the garden after baiting. They were terrible, even with the thermacell going.

02-Sep-16
They opened more roads today in the National Forest so I got to put out more cams. Skeeters were not bad at all. Still, I will have the Thermocell in my pack when I hunt early season for a few days.

02-Sep-16
I personally have never ever seen it so bad - excluding Canada...

02-Sep-16
This is crazy and just some dumb luck....Ive never seen it so clear, especially with the rain. I rarely have felt the need for OFF this year.

03-Sep-16
Non existent here right now. No flies, or gnats either. Its very nice!

06-Sep-16
Cutting wood and slinging arrows in Shawano County yesterday. Covered in sweat, and not 1 skeeter in sight. We are going to get slaughtered in a week!

06-Sep-16
Nary a skeeter all summer. Now...you dare not step outside.

Sauk county.

06-Sep-16
I encountered a few while baiting one bear site. Rest, nothing.

My theory, it was so wet this spring and then all summer that there is a bumper crop of frogs and toads. Serious predators to skeeters. And there are lots of frogs and toads in my yard and everywhere I have been. Bound to drive over a couple when going in or out after dark.

06-Sep-16
Jeff, I have frogs and toads a plenty here. But the damn skeeters are really bad right now. You can hardly stand to be outside in my yard. Just before dark is unbearable. But anytime during the day is pretty darn bad.

07-Sep-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Someone told me a skeeter spray mix earlier this summer that supposedly works. Don't know if it killed them or kept them away. She got it at the Hayward DNR office. The ingredients started with the cheapest mouthwash you could find. Then two other common things but darn I can't remember it and can't find the piece of paper I wrote it on. Anyone else know what it might be?

The link is to a DNR article with some common sense things to do around your house to help.

17-Sep-16
I havent had a problem all summer until this morming hunting. Go figure

17-Sep-16
I havent had a problem all summer until this morming hunting. Go figure

17-Sep-16
Well after 3 hours of being an all you can eat buffet I went back in. Spooked a doe when I accidently swatted at a skeeter.

Othere than thermacells does anyone have advice for dealung with early season bugs?

17-Sep-16
Why other than thermacell? It really works the best.

17-Sep-16
I just spent a few hours in a tag alder swamp getting a piece of equipment unstuck. Never saw a bug.

17-Sep-16
Hatchlings were out super early. Not too bad otherwise in Waupaca County.

18-Sep-16
Spent the afternoon on stand with a 12 yr old bear hunter. Skeeters were bad. Thanks to the headnets we both survived.

She jumped when a whippoorwill called just before close. We both laughed pretty hard....

19-Sep-16
Thermacell works wonders!

19-Sep-16
Menards has them for $20. Ill pick one up after work.

20-Sep-16
Shot a buck Sunday night with the Thermacell going right next to me and if he smelled it he didn't care. Thermacell's are awesome!

20-Sep-16
I pulled my bear hunting stands out of the woods yesterday and no skeeters yet. But in the evening I had a tick buried into the upper part of my leg. Naturally the head broke off inside so I had to do minor surgery to dig down far enough to get it. There was some pain in the process but it sure felt better after I was done. Used plenty of rubbing alchohol in the process and triple antibiotic after I was done.

20-Sep-16
Well ill be darned. This thermacell works great. Took a good 10-15 minutes to get going but now its wonderful

26-Sep-16
The mosquitos in Washington County have been terrible for about the last 5 or so days.

26-Sep-16
Had the Thermocell with me Saturday expecting to use it. just had a couple skeeters so did not bother. I like mine. It saved me a few times pig hunting in FL.

Bill

• Sitka Gear