Knife2sharp 30-Aug-16
Pasquinell 30-Aug-16
Reggiezpop 31-Aug-16
MedicineMan15 21-Sep-16
MedicineMan15 21-Sep-16
MedicineMan15 21-Sep-16
GoJakesGo 23-Sep-16
29-Aug-16
I am always interested in hearing what gear other people are using during their hunts. I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to hear other people review new/old gear they use or are trying out. Also if people have questions about gear they are thinking of buying but want to hear what others thought before make the purchase. I will kick it off with something I am considering purchasing. The ghost blind, I have looked at them online and was just wondering if anyone has used one and what they thought. Are they tall enough to sit in a chair or do you have to sit on the ground? I thought it might be more mobile than a traditional pop up blind, I hunt public land and won't leave my blind up over night.

29-Aug-16
I also have been intrigued by the ghost blind. I just don't want to spend the money for that when you can find ways just as good to hunt in the ground without a blind. You should pick up a lightweight portable. I know some places don't have a lot of trees, but once you get used to them, your options go through the roof.

29-Aug-16
I don't personally have a Ghost Blind but my cousin does. IMHO they are heavy and cumbersome and sit too low. I think you are better off with a pop up blind or brush blinds. Great thread Willert88.

29-Aug-16
To quote RutnStrut, "Great thread Willert88". I think you'll hear a bunch from the fellows. Everyone has an opinion and everyone knows their gear is the best! Right!?

I'll change the subject and mention a broadhead. I like the Thunderhead 125 from New Archery Products. It is a classic, and tried and true design that has proven itself on game trails the world over. Years ago I used to shoot Razorbak-5's (also from NAP) but when Andy Simo introduced the Thunderhead, I changed over and have not regretted it.

I shoot the 125 model for the added weight because I like the increased kinetic energy it offers. It is a well made head that holds together under stressful conditions. I know occasionally you hear of one coming apart, but I personally have never had one fail. If you hit the animal in the right spot, in my opinion, this broadhead will kill as quickly as any other.

29-Aug-16
Heater Body Suit,,,,, I love hunting late season and cold weather, them northern bucks, are now more readily susceptible, better than the rut, in many ways......

serious investment, but serious warm

30-Aug-16

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
I touched base on this earlier in the year and now that I have had a chance to work this hiking boot to the max, I am extremely impressed with the Under Armour Fat Tire hiking boot, I have bad feet and its the most comfortable, tough boot I have worn yet.

30-Aug-16
MF I really have thought about them , I hike alot

30-Aug-16
Going back to the pop up blinds, I do not recommend the "doghouse" for bow hunting. It's just a little too small and short. I have a longer axle to axle bow and @6ft3 my bow would hit the top of the blind. I did like the fact that it set up in seconds but just not the size.

30-Aug-16
Willert88 do a search on You Tube, there on some great videos on how to make you own Ghost Blind and save a bundle.

30-Aug-16

Kevin's MOBILE embedded Photo
Kevin's MOBILE embedded Photo

MF,

Those are the ugliest boots I've ever seen.

You'll probably be able to get them cheap now that UA caved to the antis over the Bowman bear kill.

30-Aug-16
this is a good post.... lacrosse aeroheads 3.5 mm boots I never liked rubber boots, till I found these and tried them,,,, wore them all fall, and into early winter and beyond

hunt, trap, and tramp, they have held up well, fit good, take the punishment, have not been punctured yet.........

as far as your question on the ghost blind, I tried one, nice idea, too heavy and cumbersome for me... I hunt a lot of public land,,,, I just simply go hunt, and into the woods, no stand, nothing, just go out on foot and hunt,,,,,,,

If I find a great spot, than, I may come back with a stand, to hang and hunt, but really, you are better off not carrying a lot of junk, do not weigh yourself down, just go out and hunt......

I do have two chairs I do use at times, but mostly just roam and hunt, find a spot, and sit down...

that way, you are not burdened down when your new area does not look good,,,, K.I.S.S

30-Aug-16
I've been debating on using a bucket or chair because I'm worried about scent (it's almost guaranteed to smell like shop). Does anyone have a good hunting seat that they can sit all day on?

Razor- you have a few years on me. How do you sit on the ground without getting sore/tired?

30-Aug-16
Tweed it doesn't matter what smell is what. Play the wind in your favor and don't hunt the same spot. First time sits are your best odds. Your odds of killing a deer go down every time you hunt the same spot.

30-Aug-16
tweed I do not want to hijack this guys post on gear, and start again on ground tactics..... I will send you a pm, tonight,,,,,,,,,,

30-Aug-16
Using a handicapped stool you use in the shower for my ground blinds . Adjustable leg's and back rest . Very comfortable .

30-Aug-16
Kevin...Those are the ugliest boots I've ever seen.

You'll probably be able to get them cheap now that UA caved to the antis over the Bowman bear kill.

I'm not out to make a fashion statement. Let me know where I can get them cheaper.

30-Aug-16
Ghostblind, they work. Make sure to get the panel extenders. If you are used to hunting from inside a dark blind with dark clothes, it takes a bit of getting used to because you can't make quick movements. I almost shot my best bow buck to date from one two years ago. A doe, buck and fawn came to a small wooded pond and I was on the opposite side. I ranged the trail on the far side, 35 yards. I heard movement in the woods beyond the pond and a doe steps out on that trail, I heard more movement to her left, I leaned over to my right and a big tall times 10 pointer was standing behind a fawn coming to the pond. The fawn spots my movement and starts head bobbing, but the buck ignored her and comes to the pond and starts drinking straight in front of me. The fawn never drank, she went back to the woods and the doe gets done and walks off to my left. I ranged her at 35 yards. I'm just waiting for the buck to turn to his right and follow the doe. I'm just keeping my head behind one of the center panels. I hear him take two steps and between the crack of the extender and the blind I see turned to his left, my right, and now he's broadside. I draw, lean to my right and I put my second pin on him, right after the release I see my arrow is high, but he also drops to turn and bolt, and the arrow sails over his back. I did not take into consideration that he was standing several yards in the pond and was probably 20 yards, or maybe less. This was early in the evening, I retrieved my arrow and 20 minutes later a yearling buck came to the pond, spent a half an hour hanging around, then came around the pond and exited to the field behind me at 10 yards from my right. I was getting a bit worried he was going to walk the trail in front of my blind.

I also picked up the backpack for it and you can attach a chair. They're lighter then a blind to carry and they are quick to setup. I love how they blend in with everything. And again, deer and even turkeys won't spook from it alone, but if they catch you moving they'll be on alert, or leave.

I still like an enclosed blind if I'm going to sit for several hours because I'm a rubber necker, I'm constantly on the lookout. But I primarily use them for turkey hunting now.

30-Aug-16
Great story!

31-Aug-16
I just picked up a set of Hawk Helium climbing sticks to go with my Helium XL stand I got a few weeks ago. Not sure I could get a lighter package to carry in the woods. Super excited!

21-Sep-16

MedicineMan15's embedded Photo
I just recently purchased an XOP Enforcer climbing treestand (think lone wolf sit and climb). I have yet to hunt a whole day with it, but carrying it around the public land I hunt thus far has been a joy. It is also very easy to set up and easy to climb while also being quiet compared to my last climber.

I have done a few modifications to it including wrapping Paracord around some of the edges to avoid potential noise while pulling up a gun or bow, and I added Molle II shoulder straps and waist belt to improve the enjoyment of carrying it in the field.

I have used my father in laws lone wolf climber of the same style and see no large difference in quality or functionality. I would totally recommend xop treestands if you are looking at lone wolf, but are not sure you want to make that investment.

21-Sep-16

Another picture from the tree

21-Sep-16

23-Sep-16
razorhead,

Regarding the heater body suit, do you notice it being obvious to deer when in a tree stand? Seems like it would really make a fellow obvious in sky.

Marc

• Sitka Gear