Passinthru63 30-Aug-16
Birdman 30-Aug-16
Brian M. 30-Aug-16
Will 30-Aug-16
The Dark Knight 07-Sep-16
grizzlyadam 09-Sep-16
bigbuckbob 09-Sep-16
29-Aug-16
Today started out pretty well,cloudy morning with a little chill in the air,good day to hang a stand. Stand,sticks,straps in the back of the truck. Over and over I make a mental check list,yup,got everything.

Sipping my coffee as I slow down on the road cutting through the woods.a stand of pines on my right,low scrub and mixed hardwood on the left.i haven't been here since last year,haven't had a chance during the winter to drive through.it felt good. Cool,nobody here. As I'm getting the stuff out of the bed it dawns on me my mental checklist wasn't long enough.F@*K!!,forgot my vest and linemans rope!!! Drive back a 1/2 hr or take my chances.ya,just like most of us I decide to take my chances.liven on the edge that's me..lol

The woods looked good.smelled good.acorns dropping sporadically.frolicking squirrels..kinda like being home. I knew exactly where I was going.a small grove of hardwoods with a couple of beech trees on the edge of a bedding area.i cut into the main trail and into the woods.up ahead of me I see a red clip on reflector.hmmm,I must've forgotten one from last year.I pick my WA in another 50yrds or so.there it is,good ole white oak flanked by beech.4yrs in that tree,lots of deer and never seen another person (except for the guy that would wonder around then want to have a conversation the past 2 yrs) I drop my stuff,take a look around,then look up.MOTHER F#%KER !!! a stand 10'from MY tree.i knew I should've scouted earlier.maaaan,now what.crap by his tree!! Pee on his sticks! Nah,your fault dude should know better.well,good luck bud,this spot served me well.i lost a spydeco knife there last yr,had it since 91.if you find it good luck with it. Oh well,head east.

I pick my way through the prickers.very very close to bedding.not a straight tree around.plan c,go west young man someone once said.

Man this crap is getting heavy.i leave it up against an oak and start poking around.not a bad spot.has food,has cover.this is home.hey check this out,a yellow jacket crawling around my elbow.cool.BAM he bites me.im watching sting me.you little c*cknibbler I kill you! BAM another on the top of my hand.another on the corner of my mouth.HOLY SHIT!!!other hand gets hit.now the back of my neck.I MUST BE STANDING ON A NEST.RUN! I'm tearing ass through the scrub towards the river peeling off my wife beater waving around my head.OWWWW in the forehead.on my back.i never felt the prickers digging in.

Waters splashing everywhere.Fred astere and John the Baptist would be proud.my pants are ripped at the knees.i see one trying to get in.BAM,BAM,two more on my thigh inside my pants.protect the king I think and begin pumbling my leg.what seemed like forever but only a minute or two its over.

I didn't look in the mirror but I could tell by the pharmacist face that I looked somewhere between elephant man and that dude in mask.Benadryl say not to exceed 6 in 24 hrs,8 plus asprin should do it.

Be safe,have fun out there!!!!

29-Aug-16
Started taking a crap in the woods near a stone wall one warm Fall day. Next thing I know, yellow jackets are hovering around me. I think I did a 15 sec 100 yard dash with my pants around my ankles!

30-Aug-16
All I want to know is did you get the stand up or not ?????????????????????? Get better .

30-Aug-16
Ya I got it up dude.took a couple of hours.I think cause I was feeling my face swell up I didn't notice my hands and arm swell.i couldn't figure why my hands didn't work...lol..plus I didn't know what would happen being bit so many time...got bit 14 times..

30-Aug-16
When we were kids we were looking for golf balls at Shuttle Meadow CC along a stream when one of our friends began screaming bloody murder and dove into the stream and went under water and stayed there.

What the hell!! What's he doing. Then we saw the swarm of yellow jackets coming out of the hole in the ground and began to run. The bees went right up his pant leg and he was stung at least a 100 times, what a mess his legs were. And yes, they even stung his little man, several times. I think he was proud to show us how big it was,....but he never did show us again :)

30-Aug-16
I hate them bastards. One day I was walking by a swamp in CT and stopped. I heard buzzing and felt vibrating under my foot. I realized I stopped right on a yellow jacket hole. I was covering it so they weren't able to get out. It was like you see in the movies where their standing on a landmine and figuring out what to do. I then made a dash running full speed through the woods bow in hand. I looked back and they were coming at me. I couldn't believe I did not get stung. One thing that sucks about hunting in Sept. Now I'm battling a hundred at the house as they love the Pine tree sap. Used 3 cans of spray so far and put up a yellow jacket trap. Vicious little bastards. Your lucky, I had a buddy get stung over a 100 times and collapsed and went to the emergency room.

30-Aug-16
My daughter and I stepped on one along some water when we were setting up for some early goose hunting. My daughter got hit 17 times, me 10 and even my lab got it. They chased us to the truck. My daughter refuses to hunt geese now until there is snow on the ground. Too funny. Glad your ok.

30-Aug-16
Used to fish the Thames river along the train tracks as kid. Didn't realize a train would aggravate a nest ended up jumping in the river to get rid of the little bastards, go stung 40 something times. My brother had to ride is bike 5 miles home to get my parents I was still in the river when he got back. I couldn't get out of bed for a day! Hate those little F#@*ks!!

Glad to hear you got the stand up!! Priorities!!!

30-Aug-16
As funny as that story is, I'm glad you're OK. If you were truly allergic, you could be dead right now.

Most I've ever got hit was 5 times while looking for an arrow that missed my backstop. The arrow is still wherever it landed 25 yrs ago.

I did stop short of a ground nest that was exposed by a skunk or something, on state land. 3 more steps and I would've stepped right into a big moving hole in the ground.

30-Aug-16
Horrible but awesome story man!

Ill add one. Mountain biking with a few buddies in the mid 90's, Douglas SF on the CT/MA/RI line. The guy in front rides in cut offs - I know, sounds ridiculous but he refused spandex and stuck to the jeans he worked in. Well, he rolled over a next on a climb. I hear him start yelling, and I'm 3rd in line... Some how rider 2 and I get through the area relatively unscathed, just a few stings. But then we turn to see John, ripping his pants off. He's screaming and jumping and slapping with his shorts around his ankles... Turns out a few of the little bas****s shot up his short leg and stung him square on the nuggets.

Horrible in the moment, but absolutely hysterical at the same time :)

It's been so hot and dry, this is going to be a bad year for the evil creatures.

07-Sep-16
Wow, that's why I carry epipen in my bag, I'm allergic

09-Sep-16
I have tons of stories but the worst was a few years back I hit a huge white faced hornets nest with a walk behind brush mower. Got hit about six times before I even knew what was happening, then they chased me for a few hundred yards. Those buggers pack a whallop! Earlier this summer I put on my motorcycle helmet and there was a wasp in it, that sucked. Lucky I'm not allergic.

09-Sep-16
Griz - did you let out a scream that you never knew you could make? I did. Sounds like a little girl.

• Sitka Gear