Ksgobbler 01-Mar-18
Genesis 04-Mar-18
Ksgobbler 04-Mar-18
Genesis 07-Mar-18
Ksgobbler 27-Sep-18
doubledrop 28-Sep-18
keepemsharp 28-Sep-18
30-Aug-16
I've planted persimmons, paw paws, pin oaks, and burr oaks on my place so far. I've got a poorly drained area that I was going to put swamp white oaks on. The KFS forester said Nuttall oaks while not native this far north they should survive. He recommended getting them from somewhere nearby. Do any of you guys have a Nuttall oak that is putting seedlings in your yard by chance? I've got some Chinkapins and Swamp oaks on order anyway.

30-Aug-16
I've been looking at pawpaws. How do they grow for you? What kinds of locations do you plant them in? I've learned quite a bit about them but always want more from experience.

30-Aug-16
Ks what part of the state are you planting these in? Cat scratch I got paw paws from the state a few years ago. I don't know if the still have them.

30-Aug-16
Ordered many times from them before (other stuff) with good service and results. Just looking for as much insight to this tree as possible before spending the time and effort in planting and protecting them.

30-Aug-16
Some of the paw paws look really healthy, but I have lost most of them. I am in Coffey County.

30-Aug-16
My burr oaks are heaving with mast. Love that tree!

30-Aug-16
There are some big Burrs just down the road from me. Talked to the landowner about harvesting some acorns to start in pots.

31-Aug-16
Our city park is full of huge burr oaks, acorns the size of silver dollars, come and get all you want,..our hospital also has several white oaks which produce little dime sized acorns, i seriously doubt anyone would stop somone from picking them up from the ground. I know the admin,..no problem..

31-Aug-16
My folks have burr oaks in the yard that produce. I can get them there if push comes to shove. I just would like some that are as close to possible as where I want them to end up. My folks will supply me with all the red and pin oak seedlings I want.

I've also got mature pecans and walnuts as well as Kentucky Coffeetrees. A couple acres of ash. A lot of honey locust, hedge, American and Sandplum. Trying to reduce the hedge and locust, clear the grass areas back out.

Any other trees you can't live without? Thought about a handful of shumard oak.

31-Aug-16
Can't go wrong with Chestnut Oak (white oak species) produces huge acorns loved by deer (similar to burr oak). Prefers dry habitats and ridge top exposure.

Can't go wrong with American or Dunstan Chestnut either. Past study's have proved that DEER CHOSE CHESTNUTS 100:1 OVER ACORNS!

If you plant either of these species to go along with your Persimmons, Burr Oaks, etc there is no doubt your buck deer are gonna be happier than a puppy with 3 peters!

01-Sep-16
Have any of you guys ever planted sawtooth oaks? Native Nursuries has a special that includes them. I consulted a forester and he doesn't think they will become an invasive problem. They would be a nice bridge until the Native oaks can start producing.

01-Sep-16
I've planted plenty of them. Many have been producing for yrs. Never found one sprouted that I didn't plant. I think enough critters eat them that none make it long enough to germinate.

01-Sep-16
I have two friends who like their sawtooth oaks.

Thanks for checking to see if they might a problematic, invasive species.

Too bad more people didn't do that in the past.

02-Sep-16

Ksgobbler's embedded Photo
Ksgobbler's embedded Photo
Yes. He said they get targeted so hard due to drop date that it keeps them in check. However if I decide to do away with them cut them off and treat the stump. I am going to look for some Nuttall bare root seedlings in the spring and possibly a few chesnuts as well.

02-Sep-16
My opinion... don't wait till Spring. Plant some in October/November.

02-Sep-16
I have to clear away some hedge and honey locust to put them where I want them. I won't have time this fall.

03-Sep-16
Totally understand. Never enough time and you are right to wait until you have the hedge and locust cleared.

04-Sep-16
Just found out this morning that after training Tues-fri we go on nights Sat for the foreseeable future. 4 on 1 off. Gives me even less time.

01-Mar-18
So I have 1 paw paw left. All the rest have died. Sawtooths haven’t done well either. Shumards, Swamp Whites, Persimmons, and “deer pears” are all doing well.

I’ve got a quail bundle from the state that will be here in a couple weeks.

04-Mar-18
You have to cage your sawtooths are deer will keep them suppressed pretty well.I had the highest survivabilbilty of any other species I planted.Now have about 250 caged and thriving.

I planted 500 just on the other side of the ditch after killing alfalfa that one in the field and only about 10 lived........I attributed it to toxins from the alfalfa but I dunno.

04-Mar-18
Sawtooths are all in tubes. All trees I plant get tubed. I think they don’t like that the ground in that area stays moist longer but I have nothing to back that up. I planted one on a higher spot last spring and it is almost 5 ft tall. The 5 I planted 2 springs ago the largest is 3 ft and 2 died.

07-Mar-18
I never liked tubing as it promotes disease and top heaviness,lost trees and to tops breaking over in wind.Tubes and stakes ran me about $2 / sapling and I had way way more success in growth rates from caging.

I wasted lots of money tubing other varieties as well....just my experience in my neck of the woods.

I finally adopted an approach where I caged the best sawtooths every year.Sure they got browsed heavily without being protected but more than made up the difference after I caged them.

Untubed sawtooths will develop lower branches quickly that help to protect them and as long as you get the cages on them before they get big enough for major targeting by antlers your good.

Conversely tubing doesn't allow lower branches to develop so those trees will eventually grow through the tube and be vulnerable to antlers,in fact with no lower branches you will possibly have to cage them still.

Deer get use to cages and my last 100 trees or so I caged (about 4 years old) I didn't even stake them as bucks were accustomed to leaving them alone.

Lastly tubes are plan ugly ,I have fields of them and wish the forrester never talked me into them.

My advice,no tubes,be patience and start after a few years with a caging program on the most apical dominant trees.Make your life easy with very thin wire and only one stick of the smallest diameter rebar that they sell (3/8?)As bucks get used to leaving them alone don't even use a rebar stake

27-Sep-18
Tried the Nuttall. Epic fail. More shumards for this guy.

28-Sep-18
Our farm is loaded with chinkapin oaks and they produce every year. I always thought they were a red oak for some reason until I did some more research. They are one of the most desirable white oaks available and grow well here. I have even had decent luck transplanting them. Oaks are generally tough to transplant. The acorns are smaller, but it is extremely noticeable on the years that we have a bumper crop. I know KSU forestry has them on their bundle list and I have had extremely good luck with all of the seedlings I have purchased from them.

28-Sep-18
Have been trying to raise chestnuts for 6 years now, bought 4 ft. trees and have irrigated in dry times and no nuts yet. Maybe they won't grow in the flint hills.

• Sitka Gear