WV Mountaineer 01-Sep-16
sundaynwv 01-Sep-16
M.P. 01-Sep-16
Babysaph 01-Sep-16
Babysaph 01-Sep-16
wvmule 01-Sep-16
wvmule 01-Sep-16
31-Aug-16
After years of request from hunters falling upon deaf ears, it seems the legislative route might be the only avenue. Although, it is best not to be done legislatively, the commission has left us with little choice. It would be great if they had a change of heart and was willing to work with the sportsman. However, Wilson and Milne have made it very clear they have no desire to do so.

Senator Takubo currently is seeking input from sportsmen.This is the time to speak up for what the majority of sportsmen have wanted for years.

It had to happen via legislation for both crossbows and elk, I guess it will be that way for better buck management as well.

31-Aug-16
I let him know that i am for a 1 buck limit and so did a bunch of other hunters.

I wish some of the hunting groups would let us know if they are backing the effort to improve the quality of our bucks in Wv

31-Aug-16
Are you talking about Sunday hunting?

31-Aug-16
Absolutely the worst thing that can EVER happen is to involve politics in game management.

Yes, the legislature must pass laws but they should not set seasons or bag limits.

And these are my personal views and not those of any group I'm associated with (I guess its time to start with the disclaimers again).

31-Aug-16
Politics has been involve for years. Who do you think appoints the Natural Resources Commissioners and DNR Director? It may be back door politics but this is WV and we all know how that works and has for years.Maybe a push from some legislators is what is needed to get the ball rolling toward lowing the buck limit. JMO

31-Aug-16

31-Aug-16
The problem is that it seems like most of the deer hunters want to see improved deer management but many of the commissioners turn a blind eye to it even though they see it working in the surrounding states. I agree legislation is not the best way to get it done but the commissioners are causing it to happen.

Ive been to the commission meetings and have seen hunters talked down by some commissioners. Maybe this is what it takes to make them take the issue a little more serious. Ed,is the wvba going to have a survey at the fall rendezvous?

31-Aug-16
Little Bear - totally agree with you - need to keep them out of it.

31-Aug-16
Agreed politics is already involved. Good ole boy politics. I always said that if the legislature wanted Sunday hunting then they could pass a law saying we have Sunday hunting statewide

01-Sep-16
This is going to be longg. Apologies in advance.

Let's not forget that the legislature actually already does set some deer limits. The license structure includes deer tags (unlike many other states where one has to purchase even their first buck tag) and took the legislature to approve.

Something I find a bit ironic is the use of the legislature is okay for many sportsman lead initiatives but when a legislator simply asks a question about hunter's opinion on a lower limit, the topic becomes even more taboo with some folks. It is worth pointing out that yet again another unscientific poll has revealed overwhelming support for a 1 buck limit.

Let's not forget the first post on here by Cory regarding Sunday Hunting. A few on here told him that the political route through the Capitol was the only route. That was how many new Sunday Hunting counties ago?

The people were tired of waiting on that issues and they are tired the lower buck limit issue being ignored. After going to commission meetings for a couple years and watching a pair of commissioners (Wilson and Milne) treat the public with little respect while one of them whistles through the meetings and the pair try to adjourn even before other commissioner have spoken, it leaves hunters frustrated, People are only going to play that game so long. I blame them for this now hitting politician's radar screen. Isn't it a politician's job to seek information on a topic when the people are frustrated, especially with a branch of state government?

I digress...it would be much better if this was a DNR lead initiative that they could take to the legislature with the thousands of people who support it having their backs and even push for ways to help the DNR increase revenue (does everyone know that revenue from license sales is currently at late 1990's levels?). Instead, more division between the people and government (the DNR) is at hand. I believe the system may not be broken as we do have good leadership (minus two commissioners who view their seat as a bully pulpit) and biologists in the DNR. However, when a topic has so much support and gets no action, hunters are going to make sure someone hears them.

01-Sep-16
Politics is already in it. When you have commissioners asking for a favor and organizations writing letters on behalf of other lame duck commissioners, that is politics.

Maybe this will be the catalyst for a much needed connection between sportsmen and the DNR.

01-Sep-16
What you guys fail to realize is that politics is already involved. The gubner appoints these positions as I understand it so those guys will reflect his wishes. He doesn't want to listen to the sportsmen and as long as he appoints them this will happen. They don't pay much attention to the DNR. They are just used to collect fines for the gubment

01-Sep-16
Please publish the link to the poll showing where the majority of sportsmen in WV are for a change in harvest numbers for bucks. I'd like to see it. Thanks and God Bless

01-Sep-16
If sportsman polls, DNR polls, legislative polls, and every other poll shows that sportsmen want something different then that is a positive correlation.

The wvdnr is the only one capable of polling all sportsmen. Currently, they poll about 1/10th of a percent. And there is the problem.

Btw, Takubo's poll was probably 98% or more in favor.

01-Sep-16
I am not sure how to bring the link over but if you go to the better buck management site you can click on it or go to Mr Takubos facebook page you can find it.

01-Sep-16
I do agree wit Mtneer. I do not think all the hunters in the state are for it. They just want to kill deer.

01-Sep-16
Well until all the sportsman are polled how can you say all are for it. I am for it but not all are.

01-Sep-16
Spot on, Babysaph. It has been requested but again seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

01-Sep-16

wvmule's Link
WV Mountaineer, click the link.

• Sitka Gear