Screwball 08-Sep-16
WausauDug 08-Sep-16
Reggiezpop 08-Sep-16
Tweed 08-Sep-16
Reggiezpop 08-Sep-16
Crusader dad 09-Sep-16
Reggiezpop 09-Sep-16
04-Sep-16
How do you guys practice for the season?

I start around September 1 and I shoot 12 arrows at 15 yds sitting. Then 12 standing. I do this every day for four days. I then mix it up shooting three arrows at a time from different positions and different yardages until I've shot 24 arrows. I do this until about a week before the season. Once I hit the on week mark I come up with different "real life" scenarios in my head and try to recreate the position, yardage and feeling. I will set up the scenario as best I can in the back yard and imagine the hunt unfolding. When the time is right, I shoot just one arrow. I then go back in the house or do something else for fifteen minutes or so, go back outside, set up my next scenario and repeat. I do about 4/5 different ranges and setups per evening with only one shot each time. For me, this type of practice and preparation is not only fun but really gets me "in the moment".

What is your routine?

04-Sep-16
I'm a trad guy. I shoot year round but more when the weather's nicer...aka no snow.

I shoot a large bag target at known distance for form and establishing my gaps, and 3-D & stumping for realistic hunting practice.

One thing I advise...especially for stick shooters...is to make note of your FIRST ARROW each day. Write it down and keep track. That's the really important shot...do it early while you may be a little stiff or sore...like after a 4 hour sit in below freezing temps :^)

Also, put on your hunting coat and shoot from YOUR treestand. I use a Summit Viper and need to know how to set the seat rail for string clearance on a close shot...for me, that's high so I can lean over and draw so my string doesn't hit the rail.

04-Sep-16
One shot a day. The rationale being you don't get 3 or 4 tries in the woods, so I like to make sure that first shot is the only one that matters.

04-Sep-16
It depends on what I am up to. If I feel like it I shoot a few rounds in the morning before work. I shoot form the house to a bag target and will put the broadhead target out on Tuesday. If any of the hunters need to take a shot or 3 they can.

I shoot more in the winter and summer than in the fall. Too busy chasing bears....

04-Sep-16
I usually start practicing with my buddy in mid August. We each host, we each have a tree stand in our yard. The conditions vary, because his house is in the open, and has a strong prevailing wind. My house wrapped by spruce trees, so very little wind. My stand is 18 feet, his 15. This gives us variability. We play a couple games. Most of the time we play chase the arrow. We call out a dot, for the other to shoot at, then he shoots at the same dot. Never do we shoot more than 2 arrows at the same dot. We typically shoot four arrows, and perhaps 100 arrows in a sitting. From the tree stand, we typically have the other guy draw, call out a dot, and have the count of three to release. Upper right...1,2,3! This teaches us to make a quick shot. We also move the targets to awkward angles as well as uneven distances. I can normally guess to within 2 yards out to forty 99% of the time, by making the shot distances unpredictable. We usually start at 20ish yards, go out to 40, and bring it back to 10, in 10 yard increments to show you how much easier it is to nail the dot at closer distances. I can shoot pretty decent out to 60, but I never shoot beyond 25 yards, and my buddy the same. As the season gets near, we use the deer targets only, and once again, move the deer to differing angles and distances. Sometimes we call it a no shot, and most of the time we agree on these steep angles, and by doing this regiment, we have no problem taking a quick shot, or taking our time, passing deer that are either at poor angles or too far, and I believe it makes us better archers because of it. Most importantly, we make it slightly competitive, and always fun. I think we both have improved because of it.

05-Sep-16
Shoot 3D all summer . But everything is ready for the season also .

06-Sep-16
I continue to practice through season to make sure I'm used to shooting with the extra clothing. I normally launch a practice arrow where I park my vehicle before I go in the woods.

06-Sep-16
Shoot one arrow at a time. 6 arrows a day. Set my bow out and when I walk by it or near between tasks shoot one arrow, Most often what you get in woods. Practice often at 50 yards makes 30 and less seem way close and easy.

06-Sep-16
^^^I want to be this guy when I grow up.

Practice often at 50 yards makes 30 and less seem way close and easy.

06-Sep-16
another dup entry

07-Sep-16
Screwball had a great experience above but took offence to it for whatever reason via PM. If anyone takes issue with something I say here please air it out here publicly.

Sorry I offended you screwy but I really wish to shoot like you some day.

07-Sep-16
Trapper- thats one heck of a yard. God bless

08-Sep-16
Tweed, I sent you a pm to ask for clarification. Hard to understand written posts sometimes and rather than tie up post space thought i would ask there. No offense taken. Hope my pm explained that. Best of luck this season. Learned practicing like that years ago from Bob Fratzke.

08-Sep-16
i shoot at a target at rear of my garage since i live in a subdivision, chest freezer is behind target w/ a few holes in it - none fatal. my 13 yr old son tried a different release last night and missed target, even missed the freezer but hit a full can of stain that beer fridge is propped up on next to freezer. ugly mess, 3 of the cans were empty so of course he skewered the full one...

08-Sep-16

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
My favorite part about practicing!

08-Sep-16
Thats pretty awesome! How heavy is his bow? Is that in town or do you have to travek a ways?

08-Sep-16
Heavy as in draw weight? I have it set at ~12 lbs. we shoot at Warnimont Park down on the lake.

09-Sep-16
Reggie, I was just up there today! Kicking my buddies ass at that little golf course right there. I took him for $65. Have you been down there when the police are training? It's pretty cool.

09-Sep-16
I haven't seen the police training down there. I see a lot of patrol squads, but nothing ever organized.

• Sitka Gear