Pete-pec 04-Sep-16
Swampy 04-Sep-16
Tweed 04-Sep-16
Tweed 04-Sep-16
Konk1 07-Sep-16
04-Sep-16

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
Crusader dad's embedded Photo
This could have been bad. I've never broken a carbon arrow before. Even when killing a deer. The thought of an arrow breaking doesn't really cross my mind so I've never made it a habit of checking the integrity of them before I shoot.

I broke my string loop this morning so I ran to the shop and just had them throw a whole new string on. When I got home again I took my first shot at ten yds knowing I would have some sight adjustment needed. The shot went over the target and into the plywood backstop. No big deal. I adjusted and the next 3 shots were fine. Pulled all four arrows and went to 15 yds. I knock the first arrow,(the one I just pulled out of the plywood) and click on my release. Just before I drew, I noticed something different about the shaft. Checked closer and saw the crack. I pulled the arrow from the string and it broke. Had I drawn and released without noticing that it could have been ugly.

Just a friendly reminder to check your arrows once in a while.

04-Sep-16
Here's another friendly reminder. Check them every time between rounds. That's what I do. I've had several arrows with stress fractures, as well as broken passing through a deer. They are not perfect, and will crack from time to time. The plywood shot arrow would have been a certain guaranteed once-over for sure.

04-Sep-16
I flex my arrow's after every shot . Only takes a few second's . Really glad to see you didn't get hurt .

04-Sep-16
As a cyclist I know all too well about carbon failure. 99% of the time it will give you know indication.

04-Sep-16
Dup post

07-Sep-16
Glad you caught that before you released that arrow Crusader. Definitely give your arrows at least a flex test after each shot. I saw some very ugly pictures floating around the internet 12-15 years ago of a guy in the ER with a shattered carbon arrow sticking out of his hand. Story was the arrow shattered upon release. He wound up with multiple surgeries taking many hours each to remove all the carbon splinters. Then months of recovery. Never heard if the guy regained full use of the hand. If you're not sure how to do a flex test, do a search on You Tube "Arrow Flex Test" and many videos will come up on how to perform this test and what to look for.

• Sitka Gear