Jeff in MN 06-Sep-16
smokey 06-Sep-16
RutnStrut 06-Sep-16
WausauDug 06-Sep-16
RutnStrut 06-Sep-16
Jeff in MN 06-Sep-16
FiveRs 06-Sep-16
05-Sep-16
How disappointing... work and bust our butts all summer long only to have this rainy weather pattern develop for the week of the bear opener. We will have a few hunters sitting out the first day because of wind directions, but just because its raining (bears have to eat too) and the conditions are not good, don't be scared to sit out in the rain and hunt, if its poring out that's a different story, bears will hunker down and wait till it lets up, but when it does you better be on stand.

Does anyone know, when it rains does the rain make scent molecule's stronger or weaker. While on stand will human scent bond with the rain and travel more or less of a distance?

05-Sep-16
I have always thought that the rain would reduce your scent, but have no knowledge of actual real proof

Rain/thunder about to hit Hayward now, 5:40. Gonna last about 2 hours. I usually leave to bait around 7:00 so I might miss it if I delay an hour or so, I won't wait longer than that if isn't over. Mike, looks like you will be hit longer than me.

05-Sep-16
I hear ya Jeff, but I will bait anyways rain or not, mostly with the trail mix, at least it will hold up in the rain.

05-Sep-16
I was about half mile from my first bait and only had to park and wait about 15 minutes past my normal start time for the rain to quit. Pretty good timing.

05-Sep-16
MF-

Doesn't the rain cut down on your scent? If the weather isn't too rough we will be out trying to get tags filled. Hunt smart and hunt safe. No sense in risking a fall in the heavy rain.

Lucky that we have a shooting house for one of our hunters and ground blinds for the rest.

Make the best of it and good luck!

05-Sep-16
Any idea if a tree umbrella would be any more spooky for a bear than it is for deer? Deer don't seem to care. If windy it would not work as it would wiggle too much but if under 5 mph and not gusty I would think it would be OK.

Opinions?

05-Sep-16
Just blame the dogs, most will!! LMAO!!!

Seriously though, sometimes it just dont matter. I made the mistake once, and only once!! Back in 2010 my daughter had her tag. We got 7" of rain in under 24 hrs. I stayed home that morning. BIG MISTAKE!! The 2 biggest bears I had. Blackie, and BOWTIE HIMSELF both hit the same bait during that weather. Never to be be seen again that year!!

Accept it, and just go hunt. Never know what will happen!

06-Sep-16
We will definitely be using a pop up blind if the weather is nasty.

06-Sep-16
MF, 5:40 and just started pouring with moderate thunder here and will be for quite a while. It is coming your way in about an hour. ;-(

06-Sep-16
We are under a flood watch in NW WI. I recommend PFDs.

06-Sep-16
Headed out twice to bait this morning. First time was turned back by high wind, pouring rain, and lightning. Second time same but add large hail. This weather sucks.

06-Sep-16
as a reminder since i made this mistake last year. I know bear hunters have blood, sweat, $$$ and time, like 8 yrs into their hunt. If the winds wrong don't hunt the stand!

06-Sep-16
Finally got all baits done today. For my soaking and skeeter bites I was rewarded with no baits hit. That's the first time since I started baiting in early July that all have went without being hit. But I am baiting every day now and the weather the last 24 hours has been crap.

06-Sep-16
Got back a little while ago. Had to start at 8:30 instead of 7:00. It still started to rain again for two bait sites then cleared up again. Got wet but at 68 then 70 degrees it isn't so bad. Mostly my old army coat kept me nearly dry.

All baits were hit and either cleaned up or nearly cleaned up. Even one that is usually hit by coon but not bear. I fixed the coon with heavier logs and it is now getting hit by a small bear.

Most of my baits end up with the bait in a hole after a while. Those holes were filled with gallons of water. So I had to move some of the baits a few feet to the side of the hole.

My rain gauge had 3 inches of water and 2 frogs in it when I got back. I am serious.

06-Sep-16
I'd worry about the heat more than the rain, the high temps can ruin the hide and meat in short order if it isn't taken care of immediately. Bear can be tough to blood trail in good conditions and rain will only make it worse, so keep the high temps AND rain in the back of your mind when hunting the next few days!!

Good luck to all!!

• Sitka Gear