Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
FiveRs 06-Sep-16
Mike F 06-Sep-16
Tweed 06-Sep-16
FiveRs 06-Sep-16
bfisherman11 16-Sep-16
06-Sep-16
Has anyone on here used sunflowers as a food plot, or part of a food plot? I've heard mixed reviews. This year I added to my normal 3/4 acre corn plot with about a 1/2 acre of soybeans around 3 sides of the corn and maybe a 10th of an acre of sunflowers on the north side of the corn. I kind of went with a more is better attitude this year to see if it makes a difference once some of the local crops start coming off. To be honest, I only hunted my property with the food plot on it about 10 times in the last 2-3 years total, due to lack of deer. The population started to come back after a trapper got over 60 coyotes out of the area one winter. There is decent deer sign around the plot this year and they are keeping the soybeans trimmed more than 4 years ago.

06-Sep-16
Yes, sunflowers work both as a mix and a stand alone food plot. The only drawback is the stalks and you need to plant a big enough plot so that the heads don't get eaten before season.

06-Sep-16
I don't plant them as part of a food plot but I have them for the chickens. I have a tough time keeping them up right, especially after a wind storm.

06-Sep-16
The deer haven't messed with them that I can tell, again, pretty low numbers around me, they all have nice big full flower tops and are about 5'-7' tall. I think the beans are keeping them busy with the browsing for now.

So you're saying that it was a good thing to limit the size of planting to what I did?? I can always just throw the stalks in a pile at the edge of the woods in the spring, shouldn't be too much work.

16-Sep-16
I don't know what happens when I have planted them. I don't live on my hunting land but I have planted them in the spring, see them sprout to an inch tall and then go back and they are gone or have been over grown with weeds.

This year I planted some, we had plenty of rain so IDK. Maybe they get eaten but I have planted in separate spots with the same result....

• Sitka Gear