GoJakesGo 07-Sep-16
Nocturnal8 08-Sep-16
elk 09-Sep-16
Pete-pec 10-Sep-16
South Farm 12-Sep-16
arpy00 12-Sep-16
elk 12-Sep-16
06-Sep-16
Hunting public land in northern Oneida Co. Put out 9 trail cams over a month ago in areas I had great deer sign last fall. Cameras are spreadacross miles of land. Other than a few does, I have had no luck getting a buck on film. I don't seem to have an issue finding a few bucks during Oct. What should I focus on?

06-Sep-16
I wouldn't get discouraged. Remember you have all season. You know how tough public land can be. If you get discouraged with your areas. Just do some scouting and put the puzzle together. You have roughly 4 months to get things done.

07-Sep-16
As the end of October gets close, just keep track of those does. Where the does are, the bucks will be, once rut begins.

07-Sep-16
No reason to talk about the rut yet when there so much hunting before. Some guys bank their whole season on 2 weeks. When some of the best hunting lies before the rut.

07-Sep-16
GoJakesGo I hunt up that way as well and have found a pretty similar experience up that way. I get does on camera but very few bucks. The biggest I have on camera this year is a small fork.

This might be the first season in close to 20 years that I won't spend a great deal of time hunting that area.

07-Sep-16
Sorry nocturnal, please send me a message when the time is appropriate.

07-Sep-16
Didnt mean to hurt your feeling mike. I also wasn't singling you out. Just saying it how I see it.

07-Sep-16
No hurt feelings. The regulations let us know how long the season is.

07-Sep-16
Lol and your point is?? ^^^^

07-Sep-16
I think GoJakesGo was looking for some constructive comments and not two people arguing about who hurt the others feelings more. If you guys want to contribute something helpful then by all means, otherwise, take this to private message. Thanks!

GoJakesGo Oneida County is a pretty large area. I've hunted north of rainbow flowage for a good chunk of my life and it used to be really good. Not so much anymore! I've moved to Lake Tomahawk area and while I've seen a lot more sign that way, there just isn't many bucks. I had some photos of a real nice buck 2 seasons ago near there but nothing of him since.

07-Sep-16
Can you ladies take it somewhere else?! Jesus.

Jakes, they are on the move for food right now and they cover miles per day potentially, so don't be discouraged about the trail cams. Find the food, which can be challenging up here with so many options, and you'll find them. Think logging, acorns, eventually maple leaves, and if all else fails key in on for bedding in time for the rut.

07-Sep-16
*doe

07-Sep-16
Can you ladies take it somewhere else?! Jesus.

I don't see anyone arguing here. Maybe your new to this site. You'll understand arguing when you see it here.

This question is to you bearbowfan. Why would you key on bedding during the rut if all else fails?

There really isn't a reason to get discouraged when the season hasn't started. Observation sits overlooking buck bedding could help too. who cares if cameras aren't hitting yet. Move them around until you find them. They're out there. Put your cameras on the edge of the swamps. They browse heavily eating all the greens on the edge and most don't have to go to far in to turn around and go right back to bed.

07-Sep-16
Bearbowfan rather insulting for a new guy aren't you . You'll make all kind's of friend's here that way . Wish you success this season though .

07-Sep-16
Good advice about the edge of swamps, especially up here a lot of travel is happening on these edges, with food and bedding nearby. I meant I'd switch my focus to doe bedding as the rut approaches, rather than food and or buck bedding. Buck bedding is hard to pinpoint up here; too many spots and frequent travel. Rather, I'd be focused on food sources, which change often, and important geographical features that consistently attract bucks, like the edges Nocturnal mentioned.

Thanks swampy. Just trying to contribute in a positive way.

07-Sep-16
Buck bedding is very easy to find once you know what your looking for. You can find it by looking online too. For a guy hunting over a food source. They're missing out on most buck activity. Those big boys are up on their feet but they're not moving far and are waiting to move under darkness.

07-Sep-16
I agree. Very easy to find. Imagine if a buck were in every bed you found; hunting would be easy!

07-Sep-16
Low deer numbers and large amounts of k9's make it hard. After hours of scouting it seems id find a good pinch but the cameras show little. With no fields to view deer I focus on 2-3yr old clear cut edges. Found a very secluded cut with mature oaks (rare in the area) and hope it pays off later in the year. A few pics of mature deer helps the sore legs.

08-Sep-16
Go jakes I know how you feel. Just keep at it. I haven't even checked my cameras Since I've put them out. I'm optimistic, but I could be sitting in the same shoes as you. Keep moving, keep moving. I use to hate the thought of wasting a hunt sitting over a large swamp. If you haven't tried that, it can pay off during the early and late season. Find him, find his path and intercept him the next evening.

09-Sep-16
Throw away the cameras and hunt.... grab a shotgun and walkwalkwalkwalk while grouse hunting. You will find where the bucks are and then you can go in after them. Trust your hunting skills, not a camera. Just my opinion

10-Sep-16
I haven't enjoyed hunting as much as the last two years. The reason is because I pulled my cameras out of the woods. The fact that I don't have camera evidence is the reason I enjoy the hunt much more. Not knowing deer aren't there, or not knowing a nice buck isn't there, allows the imagination to run wild and hope that the next deer you see, is the one you'll shoot. Three years ago I had no pictures on ten cameras that showed a buck I'd take. Sort of bummed me out. You know what? Come the rut, I seen deer that I never had pictures of. Summer patterns are not fall patterns, especially throwing in the rut as we all know. I bino'd 9 deer in one alfalfa field last night. I have 2 stands on that field, and for the first few nights with a west wind, I'll be right there, knowing the next deer is the one I'll take!

12-Sep-16
Saw my first two bucks out of velvet this weekend. Counted 21 deer in a short drive from the cabin so things look to be shaping up. There will definitely be increased competition with new neighbors that all hunt too, but somebody's gotta get the big boy so may as well be me!

12-Sep-16

arpy00's embedded Photo
arpy00's embedded Photo
Just pulled my cards Sunday...looks like the boys are getting everything in "order". Found two scrapes on the edge a couple fields.

12-Sep-16
Pete-pec LOVE your post. I do not own cameras and cannot count how many times I have been asked and looked at like I was a caveman for not owning or using one. My response is always, "I hunt." I know if there are big bucks where I am hunting -- I just need to outsmart them. I do not know if they will score 120 or 180 and it does not matter to me. A good hunt is a good hunt. FYI - I have absolutely no problem with cameras, but my budget does not allow me to buy them and I hunt northern Wisconsin. Most of my spots are too far back to be running in and out to check what was there... and I really don't care, for I know they are there.

• Sitka Gear