Babysaph 07-Sep-16
Jim Casto Jr 07-Sep-16
Babysaph 07-Sep-16
Lone Eagle 07-Sep-16
vanvan84 19-Sep-16
babysaph 19-Sep-16
babysaph 19-Sep-16
06-Sep-16
I'm hunting the deep Mtn this year and was wondering hoe you guys get your deer it. It's too rough for a cart. Should I cut it up doing the gutless method like I do my elk? I can do that but it would be hard at night. Any thoughts?

06-Sep-16
Helicopter

06-Sep-16
I/We de-bone and pack them out of remote areas.

Buy a good pack JR. I have been using a Nimrod Wilderness pack mostly because I like fanny packs better. It has a stowable frame and deployable game bag. I was using a Alps Traverse before that. It too is an awesome pack. I've had 60 plus pounds of meat, horns and cape in it and it carried it very well plus, very comfortably. The best pack I own is a Gen II ABLE Marine Ruck Sack. This is a tremendous pack. It will haul the table and the Sink. Do it very comfortably and is ROCK solid. It closely resembles some mystery Ranch designs to the point I am certain they designed it or vice versa.

I use the Nimrod the most because of convenience. It will not carry the load the Alps will and isn't even in the same universe as the ABLE pack. But, it will carry an entire deer deboned, horns and cape, your gear, and clothes out in one trip easiy. It is EXPENSIVE though.

The Alps will do the same even better but, is more of a bother than when not toting meat because it is a back pack. It is very affordable and, the best bang for the buck in civilian packs.

I bought the ABLE pack for packing and spike camp hunting in the west. It is the most capable across the board but, the 5000 cubic inch plus size makes it over kill for here.

You need to first decide whether you like a deployable fanny pack or a back pack. If you prefer a back pack, take my advice on the Alps. You won't regret it. If you prefer the fanny pack with deployable frame and game pack, and intend to use the Nimrod in the future for such endeavors you won't regret the hundreds of dollars you'll spend on it either. Also, there are other brands to choose from. Just ensure they have lifetime warranties and they can be adjusted to fit your body type and frame.

My final advice is this: Carry a fillet knife for deboning. It works so much better removing hot meat from the bone than the thick short hunting blades our standard knives carry. Good luck and God Bless

06-Sep-16
I always thought about getting one of the deer sleds (they roll up for strapping to a backpack) and maybe incorporate using a pulley/hoist type system with it in steep terrain.

JR - did ya ever get yourself a smoker/grill?

06-Sep-16
I have a great pack that I use for elk hunts. Just wondering if that's how guys do it here in wv

06-Sep-16
Thanks Mtneer for the advice. I do have elk packs that are over kill for here.

07-Sep-16
Depending on how far u are back in I would line somebody up to bring a mule in and carry it out for you.

In my young days I've dragged deer 4.5 miles uphill in Cranberry. I've done it before when I was young and it wasn't fun and I can't imagine it would be anymore fun 30 years later.

07-Sep-16
Good idea gobbler. I have a neighbor there that has a mule.

07-Sep-16
Couple game bags, a pack frame, bone it and/or quarter it and pack it out--maybe.

07-Sep-16
That's what I'm going to do jimmy.

07-Sep-16
I've boned out several over the years. Sure beats dragging one out.make sure you keep your head and hide intact with your field tag on it. If I remember right that is what is required.

19-Sep-16
I actually called the dnr about what is needed when boning a deer out last week because I had read somewhere the same thing as you lone eagle that the hide and head were needed but the dnr actually told me that it is not necessary and you just need to check the deer in asap with the new phone or online check in.

19-Sep-16
yea i don't think they will come out and check for the head with the new checkin

19-Sep-16
yea i don't think they will come out and check for the head with the new check in

• Sitka Gear