Hayguide 20-Sep-16
Mike F 20-Sep-16
Hayguide 30-Sep-16
Elkaddict 30-Sep-16
Mike F 30-Sep-16
MF 02-Oct-16
07-Sep-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Well the season officially opens in a half hour or so. The other thread is so big I thought I would start one for the season. The link takes you to the old thread if anyone wants to reference it after it gets down a ways in this list.

Time to see some pictures of the bears you or your clients shoot.

Weather could be sketchy around Hayward for an evening hunt. Precip potential is in the 50-70 percent range. Worse for me is wind will be east to northeast, horrible for the bait I would rather hunt. So, the season is long and I will probably not hunt today. Maybe I will change my mind if one of my cameras show a nice bear on an east wind stand but doubt it.

07-Sep-16
Good luck ,to everyone!

07-Sep-16
Pumped to see the bears start to come in!! Good luck everyone!!!

07-Sep-16
I am disappointed with yesterdays bear activity.

Hot bait with the nicest boar and another one slightly smaller. Plus sow with 3 cubs and an occasional wolf pup by himself. Today, the wolf pup was all that visited, logs not opened. This is the first time this bait has never been cleaned up. Wasn't gonna hunt this bait because of wind direction anyway.

Next hottest bait, Sow with 3 cubs showed up just before dark and again during the night. They did clean up the bait. None of the 2 or 3 single bears that usually show up. Wind would have allowed this one to be hunted tonight.

Bait 3. One of the smaller bears came. Two cameras there and apparently I forgot to turn on the better one. So maybe another bear got there to help clean up the bait.

All three of these baits have had 5 gallons on them totally or very close to all eaten up the last 5 days. Only change was that on two of them I moved the bait/logs 3' yesterday to avoid the deep water hole the bait was in.

Really puzzled if I should hunt the second or third bait, wind works for either but the rain might keep me home.

07-Sep-16
Isn't it amazing how baits always seem to go dead right before the season?

07-Sep-16
May the Bear God's be with you guy's . Stay safe !

07-Sep-16
Jeff, Weather affected many baits yesterday. They know where dessert is. They will be there.

07-Sep-16
This is going to be my first bear archery season. Have to admit I'm a little leery having watched too many videos of bears coming up trees/ladders! Is this a pretty rare occurrence?

07-Sep-16
OMG!!!

Yes bears spend more time in the stand playing cards with you than on the floor in the woods.

That type of video is always good for a laugh or two. In all the years of hunting and guiding I have only had 2 times they have come up to say hello.

Why would anyone carry a small pistol like that in hopes of protecting themselves from a bear. You are better off hollering at them that shooting them with a pee-shooter. Is that pistol even legal to use for bears??

Never had the need for a gun while tracking any bears either, but a short barreled shotgun would come in a lot handier than a pee-pee gun!

Sitting here waiting for a call from the hunters. The rain has stopped and some ventured out to the woods this afternoon.

07-Sep-16
Trapper, your bait is illegal!

07-Sep-16
I have hunted bear with bow since 1978. Tracked hundreds in WI, MN, Ontario. Never carried or had a gun with. Never understood it, still don't. Have friends who carry even deer hunting cause of bears. Laugh at them. Have had bears climb up my stands, cubs above me, nose to nose with wounded bears, never thought of gun. Makes the blood run faster. Seriously it is fun, the rush of the challenge of being with something that could kill you. That takes all the fun out of it.

07-Sep-16
Mike, that pistol isn't legal to hunt bear with but if it's coming up the tree to get you it's perfectly legal to protect yourself with! I feel much better with a handgun but in all honestly a bear isn't going to do anything to you. I have a cub climb up the tree with me one time, I gave it a little kick with my foot and it fell to the ground and it ran off with it's mom and two siblings.

07-Sep-16
Rainy day up here in Northern Bayfield County. Started at Noon and poured off and on. First bear was in at 10:00 am 215lb Sow

07-Sep-16
7:34 PM. Two shots not far from my house. Someone had some action.

07-Sep-16
Thanks boys, I feel better now!

07-Sep-16
My buddy's son has a tag. A couple of bears hitting it consistently.. ..until today. They saw 2 deer and a porcupine. Zone c.

07-Sep-16
Dodging the rain all day I got in my tree at 1:30. Stayed pretty dry until the skies opened up at 7:30. 1 porky that gave me the perfect broadside shot got his picture on video. Supposed to be sunny with WNW winds all afternoon tomorrow which is perfect for my stand. I'm in zone C in NW Juneau County.

07-Sep-16
Tough day weather wise. Hunted thunderstorms in zone C and Ontario over the years. We quit after the number of no sighting days outweighed the better by a lot. Tomorrow sounds pretty good. With another low coming in Friday.

07-Sep-16
Just a thought. High winds might blow down acorns and the bears know when the wind blows this time of the year it's time to high tail it to the oak trees in the area. Maybe I'm giving bears to much credit!

07-Sep-16
Sloppy mess!

07-Sep-16
I don't bear hunt. But it's neater than hell that one can follow the minute-by-minute adventures, success', failures, and (per chance) occasional boredom of those who are bear hunters and are out in the field.

Electronically, we can hi-five their taking of game and offer condolences when events don't go as planned. Or maybe some, like those of us at home, can live vicariously through their postings. This mix of hi-tech communication with an ages old hunting method! Way cool, I'm liking it.

I wish the bear hunters the best of luck and hope you'll keep sharing your experiences for all to enjoy.

08-Sep-16

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Zone D public land diy. Dry sow. First bear

08-Sep-16
Kylet - congratulations on your first bear! You did well to get one the first day.

08-Sep-16
Any ideas what is going on with the choke cherries this year? Early on looked like it was going to be a huge year for them. They were all just full of berries. They never did mature or ripen. Now they are all gone. Some of the trees look like they are dying. Most are changing colors already. Many have what looks like a black growth of sorts on them. Not taken a real close look at that though. Very strange for sure. Maybe too much rain?

08-Sep-16
Nice job Kylet! I hope to stick my first bear too.

08-Sep-16
Can someone give me some advise about playing wind with bear stands? I've been bow hunting whitetail for 22 years so I know about playing the wind for stand choice, but I have read about bear circling the bait downwind before coming in so I guess I don't quite understand when I read why guys will elect not to hunt a stand due to wind direction.

08-Sep-16
At Northern Wisconsin Outfitters Camp we had about 65 to 75 percent of the hunters not hunt because of the wind conditions (wrong wind). With the constant rain we managed to bag a 275lb boar, 215lb Sow and a 320lb Sow. Today will be a different day, wind conditions are excellent and all hunters will be out.

08-Sep-16
I try to setup my stands so the bear will not want to circle down wind. Creek, pond, field, whatever. That being said I am not sure they circle all that often. Biggest wind concern is direction of the stand relative to the bait. Also, you should be able to see their approach trail, that is another wind you need to worry about.

Congrats on your first bear Kylet. Also congrats to the guides that managed to get bears for their clients in a tough weather stretch in NW Wisconsin.

08-Sep-16
Kylet good job!

08-Sep-16
Kylet-

Great Bear! Congrats!!!

Today should be an awesome day with the big change in the weather. The hunters here are anxious. Some are are out for a morning sit.

Good Luck and be safe!

08-Sep-16
Congrats Kyle!

08-Sep-16
I thought I would have a picture of a bear fight to post. Ground was tore up around the bait. But must have just been the usual 3 cubs playing. That sow and cubs were the only daytime pics. Two other different bears over night.

Same on another bait, cubs during the day, single bears at night. Third bait only single bears at nite.

Wind should be good for all three stands, guess I just flip a coin to pick a stand.

One thing to remember about cameras. Bears may visit the bait and not walk to the bait, hence not trigger the camera. Not sure why they do that, maybe just to sniff around and check out what's happening. Curious, territorial, whatever. So, my stand choice tonight will consider what I have seen in the past, not just the last couple of days.

08-Sep-16
I realize wind is always important when hunting. As per bear hunting we have never really concerned ourselves with it though we set up stands ahead planning on southerly winds this time of year. (Northwest today never planned on that) We believe bears always know your there. They have checked out the stands and will identify your presence anyway. They know when something is different. The food, hunger, or scent drive, more often then not overrides their safety concerns. When hunting old bears that have been wounded in the past it can be a little trickier of course. We always try to play the wind but as in Canada you only have 5 days to hunt, you hunt, if your only hunting weekends and have 1-2 baits you hunt.

08-Sep-16
My experience is the same as screwball. Any time I was on stand it seemed the bears knew something was different or I was there. Some looked right up at me and began to climb my tree. I wouldn't be as concerned about wind for bear hunting as I am deer hunting. JMO

08-Sep-16
Good news here, Winds changed late morning to South Southwest. Good luck All.

08-Sep-16
Quick question, I don't want to derail the thread but if you have a big sow in front of you with a couple Cubs do you still shoot her? If I were on my dream hunt (brule river just a canoe and myself) I would. When I am hunting deer I don't shoot does with fawns. If I hunt bear it will be without bait and without a gun. If I had a chance at anything besides a cub I would take it.

08-Sep-16
If at all avoidable never a sow, never a sow with cubs of any age. Just our family practice.

08-Sep-16
IMO shooting a sow with cubs is not ethical and in some places not legal. Don't know how I could justify shooting if I would then let a fawn walk. Fawn would most likely survive - cubs not so

08-Sep-16

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
A better picture

08-Sep-16
It is illegal to shoot bear with cubs in WI, and very unethical

"shoot or molest any bear in a den, hunt bear in any dump or sanitary landfill or kill a cub or any adult bear accompanied by a cub or cubs"

08-Sep-16
U R right, a much better picture. Once again, congratulations. Way to go. Betcha you're going to be a confirmed bear hunter from now on!

08-Sep-16
What's your definition of a cub? Some sows seem to chase offspring off later than others. I've observed some "cubs" nearly as large as their mother-most likely 2yr olds.

08-Sep-16
a big congrats to those that have had success already, good luck to those that haven't yet filled their tag - I'll be out tomorrow afternoon (Sat &/or Sun if need be) sitting with/videoing for a good friend on his first bear hunt

08-Sep-16
GoJakesGo -

My definition is a "adult" bear is described as a bear that measures 42" from tip of nose to base of tail.

That also meets the definition by WDNR regulations as to an "adult" bear!

08-Sep-16
Sows do present themselves at time with some rather large cubs - those cubs are on their last months of sticking around Mom and will be dispersed abruptly in the spring to parts unknown by the same "once docile" Mother.

Unless obviously tiny -they'll be fine.

Be aware however that WI makes it illegal to shoot at a bear that presents itself with a "cub" in tow - remember an adult is described as being 42" in length. That's 3'6" - pretty small I think....

08-Sep-16
I guided professionally for yrs and the topic of cubs/yearlings was brought up at EVERY pre hunt meeting I had w/clients. My best advice to them was, when you see a bear and at ANY time you ask yourself "is it really big enough?" - you just answered your question, it's not

08-Sep-16
Congrts Kylet. Very enjoyable following this thread.

Screwball made some good points. Also, since bears have to layer up for the winter they are taking in about 24,000 calories each day. Food overrides other things.

08-Sep-16

Montesdaddy's embedded Photo
Montesdaddy's embedded Photo
My brother and I had the privilege of being asked by Hunt of a Lifetime to assist 14 year old Weston who was diagnosed with brain cancer, in a bear hunt. After months of feeding and prepping stands Weston got his bear last night. Congratulations Weston and thank you to Hunt of a Lifetime!!!

08-Sep-16

ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
My daughter last night first bear. 225 dressed on scale

08-Sep-16
Congrats Elk and daughter, the smile says it all!

09-Sep-16
this is just awesome to see, great job to everyone

09-Sep-16
Way to go Montesdaddy and crew with Weston. That is simply awesome. God Bless that young man.

Congrats to your daughter Elk. My son got one when he was 10 and my daughter was 13, so I know the feeling of pride you are feeling!

Congrats to all who have been successful.

09-Sep-16

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Congrats to all of the above, especially Weston and helpers.

I scored last nite. Wind was perfect, slightly overcast, cool, wind good for any of 3 stands.

Saw the first bear before I got to stand, I was just reaching the top of the last hill before the bait and a cub on the bait was standing on his hind legs looking at me. Just as I am thinking where are the other 2 and the sow when the cub runs up a tree, oh shit. I stood and watched and the cubs gets down and runs away.

An hour later cub comes in on the same trail I walk in on, he passes me at 3 yards. Minute later #2 same path. 30 seconds later #3 on the same path but walks by maybe a yard from my tree. They are all eating and looking happy but where is mom. Finally she shows up from a different direction. She is big for a sow. Guessing around 350 live. She mostly stays 30 yards past the bait. Mostly to the left. Occasionally a cub would walk down to the pond for a drink and occasionally take a walk to mom. This goes on for 45 minutes, twice the sow got down to the bait for a little while but never ate. Eventually they leave on the route the sow came in on. One of the cubs might have been a yearling, much bigger than the other two.

They are gone for 10 minutes and from over to the left (where the sow stood guard so much) a decent bear comes in. This is like 6:45. It is about the size of the all the best ones I have on camera so I shoot it, it runs 15 yards down hill, folds up, does the death moan all within view. 185# dry sow, appears to be old. Still small enough to drag out by myself on a sled. Still light out when I got to the truck.

During all of this activity none of them were down wind of me. There is a pond 10 yards from me and down wind and nothing went between me and the pond.

Was up skinning and BS-ing with neighbors till midnight. Meat and hide are chilled, still need to do the final trimming and packaging, tooth is in the mail. If anyone knows anyone that wants a hide mine is available, hind feet are not attached to the rest.

Doing registration via the phone call worked good but very slow.

09-Sep-16
congrats Jeff nice work! Post a trail cam pic too if u have one

09-Sep-16
Congratulations to Weston, Elks daughter and Jeff.

I got a call this morning from a guy in Cable. His buddy shot a 560 live/500 dressed bear last night. He sent me the pics and I will be measuring the skull after the drying period.

I have heard of two others dressed at 400+.

09-Sep-16

Here is the sow with cubs that entertained me last night, she looks much bigger in person and not looking on such a downward angle.

The log on the ground just behind the bait is how the cubs walked down to the pond for their drinks. The bear I shot folded up just before the end of that log.

Take a close look at the stump of that fallen tree. Beavers took it down and it fell right where they wanted it, toward the pond.

09-Sep-16

This is probably the one I shot, about the same time of day as I shot it too.

09-Sep-16
Congratulations to Jeff in MN and all who've been successful bear hunting. Nice going - a great start to the fall hunting seasons!

09-Sep-16
Congrats everyone!

09-Sep-16
Sitting here waiting for the calls that the hunters are safe out of the woods or we have a tracking job tonight.

Congrats on the harvest of your bears!

It's been tough weather wise. Keep the faith and put in your time. You can't kill a bear sitting in front of the TV!

Good Luck!

10-Sep-16
Good Job Jeff -

11-Sep-16
My son got his first tonight. He was on a bait that had hits at all hours. I took him out just before the rain was to stop hoping they would move soon after. Rain stopped about 9:30 but nothing moved till 6:00pm when the bear he took came in. Gun kill so I won't bother with a picture. But still a proud dad.

11-Sep-16
Drop Tine, post a picture anyway along with more details when you have time. Wow, if your son sat from before 9:30 till 6:00 he had a long but productive day. Congrats to both of you.

11-Sep-16
Yup congrads to your son Drop Tine. Please post details and a pick as I enjoy all types of harvest stories and pictures.

11-Sep-16
Please - NO gun kills here - I like to stay with the rules and regulations...

Of course SHOW the bear - cool! Everyone's waiting!

11-Sep-16

Bwana 2's embedded Photo
Bwana 2's embedded Photo
Great time up by Mellen with North Country Outfitters

11-Sep-16
It shouldn't matter if it's a gun kill. It only matters to a select few. Guys like me just want to see the success of others. Congrats to everyone who have filled their tags.

11-Sep-16

Put a hunter in the stand last nite in one of my remote wilderness spots. He had some small bears in and out. Then the night to remember started. While a BIG sow and 3 cubs were in the bait the hunter noticed a pack of wolves circling the bears................ When the wolves were set they made their move on the cubs. The sow attacked one wolf and sent it squealing through the swamp. Then the hunt of a life time started. The sow sounded off at the cubs as she took after the other wolves. The 3 cubs ran back down the trail the hunter and I came in on which happened to pass right next to the tree he was in. Which happens to be the biggest tree around. Can you guess what happened next ???? Bet you can't........ Mean while back at camp its 9pm and no hunter back yet and no calls. Sooooo my son and I on separate wheelers go looking for the hunter. I thought maybe his wheeler was broke down.... But when I came across the hunters wheeler and no hunter I had a sick feeling thinking the worst!!! ( a fall ). As I reached the bait I could see a lite up in the tree. As soon as I turned my wheeler off the hunter yelled that he was surrounded by 3 bears in the SAME TREE and the sow was between him and me rather pissed off on the ground. I started in for the hunter (I had no weapon) just as my son pulled up. When Matt turned off his wheeler he said he could hear the sow popping her teeth next to me. I guess I was focused on the safety of the hunter and didn't hear her. I reached the tree and found the hunters bow on the ground. I had the hunter come down and you can imagine he was rather excited and reluctant to come down. I never did see the sow. But I did see the other bear above him in the SAME TREE !!!!!??

When the cubs ran by his tree they all climbed up his tree with one passing by him within a foot knocking his bow down to the ground the other 2 stayed below him. Now you can imagine the temperament the sow was now in. She sounded off for the cubs to come with her. The 2 below went back down but the one above wouldn't come down because of the hunter. Sooo there we have it, a pissed off sow on the ground walking on his bow and a cub above the hunter which I forgot the mention was shitting on the hunter. The sow decided this was enough and also started up the tree. Luckily the hunter had a side arm and fire 2 shots to scare the sow which did make her retreat. This brings us to the cavalry arriving. When I arrived I didn't see the sow but did see the cute cub still above the hunter. When the hunter came down we gathered his scattered equipment cleaned out shorts and went back to camp for a relaxing meal and cocktails.??

Best Damn Job I Ever Had.........

As of last nite we have 8 hunters in camp...6 killed, 1 wound and 29 different bear passed. The rain sucks.

11-Sep-16
Holy crap arrow. What a story. I can't imagine what the hunter felt like but at least he had the some confidence in having that firearm. Thanks for sharing that story. WOW!

11-Sep-16
What a crazy night!!!!!!! I'm guessing that Wal-Mart was sold out of underwear after that event. I know I'd need new drawers.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

11-Sep-16

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
That's why I love playing with bear and being outdoors. Never know what's going to happen. Great story Arrow!!

Here is my sons bear. Shot on the ground at about 35 yards from a ground blind. As I said this bait has been getting hit at all times of the day. Being a great problem to have, but making for a all day sit. Due to heavy rains we didn't head out till a little after 9:00. I rebaited the bait and bagged the rock in the stump and left while he hunkered down for days hunt.

It wasn't till 6:03 till he seen his first bear and he texted me asking how long to wait to shoot. (Looking for Cubs) I told him as soon as as you have a good shot. He said its laying down and it was about 15 minutes before the next text that he hammered it.

Recovery was short about 15 yards from the stump. He shot it with his Grandpas old Remington 742 in 30-06. My dad shot 2 bear with it, I shot 1 of mine with it, now my son and hopefully my grandson next year. My son said it was a huge rush and will for sure do it again.

11-Sep-16

This was the blind set up looking up hill from the bait. I also want to thank FiveRs and my other bear hunting friend that's not on here for the assist in the recovery and clean up of the bear.

11-Sep-16
Drop Tine, That is a cool story about shooting the bear and the gun passing down through the generations.

Holey crap Arrow1, now that is a story to be told at camp for generations to come. Makes me wonder if baiting bear and sometimes bringing wolf and bear to the same dinner table might result in a few cub, and hopefully way more more wolf killed by the bears.

12-Sep-16
Great job everyone on the bears. Number 2 for our hunters was taken on day 2. Since then activity has dropped with the weather.

Gorgeous morning for day 6 with 1 hunter on stand. 3 hunters last night with nothing sighted. Game viewing in general down with the high winds. Weather has been the biggest factor by far. Been running an 80/80 average. 80% hits 80% daytime. Since the opener it has dropped to 33% hit 71% daytime. Or out of 21 baits, 7 were hit, wit 5 in the day. Semi stable nice weather should change this back. At least we hope so. 2 on stand tonight. Get anxious for the start of hounds Wednesday!

In the northwoods there is not as much natural food now as normal. Baits should really pick up now. Lots of acorns in areas, and tons of mushrooms. Nothing much after that though.

Here is a video link of the 2nd bear at time of shot.

https://youtu.be/AO5bf7pKHqI

Keep at it!!

12-Sep-16
One of our young hunters - 13 year old young man arrowed his first bear yesterday afternoon. After a tough tracking job and loosing the blood the bear was recovered this morning.

Harvested east of Nelsonville in Portage County. Estimate to be about 200 lbs.

Pictures to follow

12-Sep-16
Here is a video for your debate on cubs.

https://youtu.be/BA2pslY3pqM

12-Sep-16
What is the debate?

We don't shoot sows with cubs. No debate.

I had a hunter who has a sow with second year cubs at the bait on Saturday. Watched them for over 20 minutes.

12-Sep-16
is it me or is the kill slow or people not posting?

12-Sep-16
Slow for sure. Bad weather, High Winds, and Acorns dropped Tuesday Wednesday with the high winds and storms. Hard to hunt when they switch to protein. Any suggestions welcome.

12-Sep-16
Congrats to all bears taken. For those still hunting take a couple days off don't burn yourselves out. Keep on baiting (not every day) and use a trail camera, by now those bears know they are being hunted, let them settle down, later in the season it can be awesome. Even stop baiting for a week can help. If you start getting daytime pictures, then hunt.

12-Sep-16

Mike F's embedded Photo
Mike F's embedded Photo
Here's a picture of the young hunter who harvested his first bear near Nelsonville, in Portage County.

12-Sep-16
Congrats to all the successful hunters. It has been slooow here in Chippewa county. Baits not getting hit at all other than coons and even they have tapered way off.

12-Sep-16

mainecheesehead's embedded Photo
mainecheesehead's embedded Photo
a good friend, first bear hunt, 180# male, 9/11

13-Sep-16
Nice bear Mike F. Always good to see a young hunter score on a bear plus good to see from Portage Co.

13-Sep-16
I think one of the reasons the hunting looks slow and there's not many pic's are the cell phones.

I for one take all my pic's with my phone so I can text them asap. But I don't know how to get the pic's from the phone to the thread. I know technically illiterate.

13-Sep-16
Maine Nice white patch

13-Sep-16

smokey's Link
Arrow1 There is an app that goes on the phone and also on the computer that will transfer photos. It is called PhotoSynch.

I attached the link to the site. Just follow directions and it should work. Any questions send me a PM.

14-Sep-16
Our season came to an end last nite unless I get a late booking.

8 hunters, 2 archers, 6 gun, 7 kills, 1 wound, 1 memorable story, 33 total bear sighted, passed or unable to get shot. The hunter that wounded went home after day 4. Baits are still active with daytime pictures.

Those that harvest and want to register their bear......Doing it on line is much,,much faster and easier.

14-Sep-16
I did the phone in registration. Very slow process so like arrow1 says do it online if you can. I was nearby so I stopped at the DNR office to get it done but they were not open yet. The bear control person was working outside about to go pick up a trapped bear. He encouraged me to do the phone in registration, got me a tooth bag, and volunteered to send it in with some others he needed to send. Nice guy.

16-Sep-16
Anyone bear hunting this weekend or is everyone switching to Deer?

16-Sep-16
I won't mention who this was but someone I know recently took a bear to a place in Rice Lake called 'The Butcher Shop' to get a bear processed. Instructions given were to skin it for a rug. When he got the hide home and thawed out the hide was cut clean through in many places, part of the skull sawed off, and the rear feet were cut off. That makes life very difficult for the taxidermist and will probably cost extra for the rug.

16-Sep-16
What the what!? Was the "butcher" a hack or is there more to the story?

16-Sep-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Here's pics of a bear that this guy that gave me some archery tips got this past week.

16-Sep-16
Apparently whomever skinned the bear had no clue how to do it. Probably doesn't matter if you chop up the hide on cattle.

Yes, new owners, and I think dad bought the place for his son to run. Not that there is anything wrong with that but they should know how to skin game animals that are going to be mounted.

16-Sep-16
Problem with going to a taxidermist is most of them have no way to cool the meat. Like the one in Hayward, he does good work and charges a reasonable $50 to skin (free if he is mounting it) and gives out his cell phone number so he can be called after hours. But he barely has room to freeze the hides for those wanting a mount done.

16-Sep-16

xp's embedded Photo
xp's embedded Photo
Here is a picture of my 2016 bear that I shot opening day in Sawyer County. He weighed 256 pounds. It was the first animal I harvested with my Hoyt Tribute, glad to break it in with a Bear. Congratulations to all successful hunters and good luck to everyone still hunting.

16-Sep-16
We will be chasing bears if the hunters want to. Firing up a new bait on a new piece of private land and maybe sitting a few hours for deer if no one needs any help.

I have a hankering for some fresh venison loins....

16-Sep-16
#280 and #340. 2016 hound season Is over in a day. Kinda sad

19-Sep-16
Started baits in June. Baits went dead first four days. Changed up scent and bait. Nephew shot a 350 Saturday night. Spine shot him and found him in a corn field Sunday morning. Put the sneak on and finished him. Some hair raising moments as were close a couple times and he moved off. Oh what a rush!

19-Sep-16
Congrats to all the successful hunters and guides!

20-Sep-16

Hayguide's embedded Photo
Hayguide's embedded Photo
Still have one hunter left-she is going on this bait! Its looking good. 16 hunters-14 either killed, wounded, missed or passed this year. We had to work extra hard this year I also gave my hunters extra days because of the crummy east wind/rain and bad conditions for the first few days. Looks like everyone did pretty well.

20-Sep-16
Hayguide, Whats the bait your using in that picture?

20-Sep-16
that bait had some fruit loops-I had to buy some after I ran low. Its not the best-to much powder. half off it blew out off my truck. The bear like it-I mixed it with a little corn and some of my last sugar cones. I wouldn't recommend it-buts its late season . I have to bring a rake to clean it up on the re baiting. Bears leave nice pads in it-this one was 4.75 inches. not bad

20-Sep-16
Guides,

I read where some of you mention wounded bears. If a person does not recover a hit bear, is their hunt over? I know some areas in Alaska require that.

20-Sep-16
My policy is that they have to stay on that bait-I wont move them around anymore. Its pretty lenient. I have done this for several years-but I'm actually looking at changing it after this year. I'm hoping a tougher wound policy will eliminate the wounding. In twenty years of taking out hunters-I have had only two wounded with a bow. All my wounding was done with Rifle and ML- bow hunters are more prepared by far for a hunt. That would equate to 40 wounds with firearms to 2--based on two a year-which is unfortunately the average.

20-Sep-16
Before the hunt starts we go over the "rules of the hunt".

Being in zone C I let the hunters hunt the entire season if they so chose. Every hunter gets 2 stands to hunt and when they leave for a day or two or more I move hunters to those stands if they are more productive.

One rule that I live by and strictly enforce is "Do not bring any scent or bait to the site unless it is provided by me." If this rule is broken and I find out about it you are hunting your 2 stands and only those stands for the rest of the season.

As far as my wounding policy, A blood trail is a dead bear. I believe that it is the hunters responsibility to make a good shot and harvest a bear in the most ethical way.

Every wounded bear that is not recovered is handled in an individual way. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control. I have had hunters end their season after wounding and not recovering a bear.

I have very few rifle hunters, and only have lost 2 to poor blood trails.

30-Sep-16
I still have 2 zone D baits and a zone A bait with active daytime bears-PM me if interested-JIM

30-Sep-16
Due to elk hunting I haven't been able to hunt. Finally checked camera card last night. It's been in place since Sept. 3rd. I've baited this site for the last 10 years. Unfortunately with the lack of a vehicle at this area it seems people feel the need to mess with things. I've got multiple pictures of a guy, and in one instance 2 guys messing with the bait. Since they have been in there the bait is totally dead. Can't stand slob "hunters"....

30-Sep-16
Elk-

You are not alone. I have pictures of a guy messing with one of my baits. The local warden and I went in and discovered illegal activity on the bait. I pulled my camera and it is now in the hands of the law. I hope the get the culprit.....

02-Oct-16
One of the hunters made it back up this Thursday. Opening week he passed up smaller bears and was being entertained by a sow with cubs numerous times. Last night he finally got his opportunity and with 12 minutes left he shot a beautiful 230lb boar. This time of the year those hides are beautiful.

Cant believe the season is almost over. We have one more hunter coming in today to try his luck.

• Sitka Gear