CaptMike 13-Sep-16
wiscbowhuntr 13-Sep-16
WausauDug 13-Sep-16
casekiska 13-Sep-16
Zinger 13-Sep-16
wiscbowhuntr 13-Sep-16
Swampy 13-Sep-16
08-Sep-16
Looking for someone around the Madison area that can put on a new string. The area shop is 4 weeks out.

Was at bow league Tuesday and when we were finishing up the round I noticed a strand around the peep had come apart. I am assuming my peep must have an edge on it.

I know I need to learn how to do this stuff myself but I am just not there yet as work and remodeling a home leaves me little time.

If nothing then I guess I run the bow back and wait but I thought there were some people that did it on the side. Ed's is no longer around.

Thanks

Chris

08-Sep-16
D+S bait. Gander. Cabelas. Little Jons. Buck Rub. Sugar River Sports. Valkyrie..

08-Sep-16
BKIII in Wind Lake did mine in 2 days. Took a week to get the string though.

08-Sep-16
Try DW Sports in Portage. Doug might be able to help.

08-Sep-16
I don't know if you're interested in wasting a day driving but Shooters Sports in Caledonia wi did mine in one hour this past Sunday. I did not call ahead because they are five min from my house but I would just to make sure if you are driving any distance. (I was there right when they opened)

08-Sep-16
I do not have a new string have the old one but do not really want to use it.

LJ is 4 weeks out. Gander mountain will not touch my bow. Not sure on Cabela's yet and the other 3 are out there a ways was hoping something closer.

Thanks. I will call the others and see their turn around time.

Ed used to do my strings and he is no longer in the area. I am picky about my bow. Just saying.

08-Sep-16
Pappas Trading post? Anyone have a string done there? Good bad?

08-Sep-16
I do much of the work on my bow and my wife's tackle myself. However, for some of the more involved adjustments I now always go to Pappas Trading Post in Arena. I have found Randy Smith (the owner) and his main sidekick "JC" to both be very knowledgeable, willing to help as best they can, and professional in every way. I recommend the Trading Post highly.

I have only heard one negative comment about the Trading Post and that was a few years ago. I wondered then, and I still wonder, if that fellow's complaint was really legitimate.

To comment on Cabela's near Sun Prairie,...Jeff Mueller is now the manager of the archery department. He is a long time experienced archer, bow technician, and at one point operated a archery pro shop and archery lanes in Portage. Jeff has never worked on any of my tackle but I do think he would do a good job. He is knowledgeable. I cannot speak for any of the employees he has working for him in his department.

08-Sep-16
Changing a string is about as simple a task as there is. Anyone who has a bow press and can fit you in should be where you go. It's a ten minute job.

08-Sep-16
Is anything happening other than a strand is broke? If it's only one or two strands I wouldn't worry about it. Just shoot like you normally would. Unless you start noticing a shift in POI there's no reason to rush off and get a new string.

In my 3D days I would often shoot for weeks with a string with a couple broken strands. And in those couple weeks I probably shot more than most people do in a year or two. Plus my bows were pre-stressed more than bows are for the most part nowadays.

09-Sep-16
I agree with Zinger on this one. Just a strand or two that are broken should not be reason for immediate concern. Go ahead and order a new one and make an appointment to have it installed but in the interim, continue to use your bow.

09-Sep-16
I would but it was one strand and now I have two so something is going on with the peep. Most have a sharp groove in it. On top of that I noticed the peep was move more than normal. I adjust the D loop here and there to make sure I am lined up and was doing it more than normal.

09-Sep-16
Might as well just get a whole new bow. That way you won't have to wait for a string to get ordered and it really isn't any more work getting everything set up & sighted. Sure it'll cost a little more, but there's nothing more fun than buying new "toys".

12-Sep-16
LOL in the spring.

12-Sep-16
West Town Archery. It won't take you 4 weeks to get there. They did my sons last Fri. and changed his cam. Took about 45 minutes. Call first to make sure.

12-Sep-16
If it looks like the peep is cutting the string , DON'T shoot it . How lucky do you feel ? I've seen bow's blow up . Not a pretty sight .

13-Sep-16
I had some problems with my bow and went to little johns in marshall. He fixed it! put a quick fix on it and re tuned it on the spot. I need all new strings but for now he got it going for me to use this weekend!

13-Sep-16
I took the bow to Pappas and should have it back this week.

He said it could have made it through the season but I do not like to take chances.

13-Sep-16
Can't blame you. Years ago I had one come apart on me, with the broken cable cutting my arm pretty badly. Gave me quite a bout of target panic!

13-Sep-16
Has anyone ever tied their own d-loop? hard? easy? recommend going to a shop?

13-Sep-16
my brother just bought a new bow and had a titanium peep put on and its cutting his string. The guy at Buck Rub said "who put on this peep its cutting your string" and m;y brother said - you did... He replaced it w/ a plastic one. The guy said its probably a good idea to stick w/ plastic.

13-Sep-16
I have tied on D-loops for myself and my wife, and once you learn how the task is relatively easy. I stress however, it needs to be done correctly. If not, it can slip and untie at the most inopportune moment and possibly result in injury. Be careful, and do it right.

So, how to learn to do it?

There may or may not be instructions on-line. Try to "Google" the subjects of "string loops" or "how to tie on a string loop." Even if there are instructions on-line, I would surely talk to the guys at my local pro-shop and ask them to show you how. Be sure to ask them if there are any little "tricks" you should know about the process. (Hint: there are.) I would think they would be willing to help you with this because you'll be buying the loop material there. If they won't help, perhaps it is time to find a more customer friendly dealer.

Good luck to you, wisbowhtntr.

13-Sep-16
A good idea to stick with a plastic peep? The good old aluminum Tru Peep has been around for decades and never caused a problem. Plastice peeps went out of style with rubber peep tubing and steel cables.

13-Sep-16
Thanks case. I think I'll be stopping at a local shop this time around. Would hate to ruin the opener with a faulty knot.

13-Sep-16
Order a Vipor pliers . Instructions on how to tie one is on the package . Best D loop plier's I've found . Good luck .

• Sitka Gear