Brianbowhunter 17-Sep-16
bb 19-Sep-16
bigbuckbob 19-Sep-16
bb 19-Sep-16
bigbuckbob 20-Sep-16
Mad dog 20-Sep-16
bigbuckbob 20-Sep-16
09-Sep-16
1. Don't leave your bow on the hood of the truck and start your hike to your stand. 2. Don't do #2 on your safety harness strap in the dark, and then have to cut that part off leaving you a very short strap. 3. When you're cold, don't pull your bow back by pointing it straight up in the air and then accidentally hitting your release sending the arrow into the next town.

Anyone else have suggestions? Be honest now :)

09-Sep-16
1. Don't forget to tie your bow to your hoist strap/rope

2. Take your release out of your pack before you climb 20 feet. Don't forget a spare release.

3. Don't ignore the grumblings of a meatball grinder from Subway.

09-Sep-16
don't let to many deer go in the early season it gets harder and harder as the season goes on get one in the freezer then have fun .Steve

09-Sep-16
#1 - Don't wait 'til the last minute to speak to your landowner about....

Aww..... SNAP!

09-Sep-16
don't wait until the last minute to get bow tuned and new strung installed...

09-Sep-16
Dont forget your knife. Dont ask how I know.

Dont think "I can hold it" then have to drop trow and poop from 20 feet up while trusting your saftey harness not to drop you to the ground as you try to lean out beyond the end of your climber... Then have a nice buck come in, and end up down wind and spooking, almost certainly due to your steamer at the base of the tree.

Just saying.

These have only happened to "friends" ;)

09-Sep-16
Make sure your quiver is attached to you bow before hiking in. Also make sure you switched from field points to broadheads. I had one morning last year where nothing went the way it should have. Chain reaction I suppose?!?!

09-Sep-16
You guys are making me laugh!!! Especially the Aww Snap comment! Thanks!

One more - don't jump out of the guides truck to get into position for a nice elk coming down the ridge only to find your release was still on the seat of the truck.

09-Sep-16
Don't leave your bow on your truck tool box before or after...

09-Sep-16
Don't eat Mexican food and drink heavily the night before. Don't forget the TP the next day.

From a friend.

09-Sep-16
No nudie bars the night before....

09-Sep-16
Don't forget new batteries for flashlight then walk into bulldozer wheel rut infested apple orchard in the pitch dark and fall on your face and smash your knee into rocks as you hit every foot deep wheel rut the whole way to the trees. I was pretty bloody that day on knees, elbows, and hands lol.

09-Sep-16
Don't forget the right cap size for your muzzle loader and have to drive an hour to a gun shop and an hour back getting to your spot at 10am when you had to wait until 8 for the store to open. That was awhile ago. And no I didn't see deer that day!

09-Sep-16
And my personal favorite walking in circles sweating your ass off looking for your tree cuz you had so much confidence when you put the stand up that it would be easy to find. So finally you stop walking it gets light and you say ah it's right over there!

09-Sep-16
Also when pooping and wearing coveralls make damn sure you take it off as the hood is bigger then you thought and does not tuck in or to the side like required. Funny story, I took my coveralls off but had to take my rubber boots off first to get the coveralls off so I'm standing on the coveralls in my socks squatting down and when I got up I stumbled and stepped my sock right in it. I could write a book, good thread BBB.

09-Sep-16
I think Will's friend takes the cake. I can just picture a 20 ft dump splatting at the base of the tree. You haven't lived until you've taken a dump in the woods...my wife just doesn't understand that. The worst is when you draw back on a deer and watch your arrow fall off the string and tumble down to the ground because you didn't nock it right. That only happened once!!!

09-Sep-16
Where would I start with this thread. No bow hoist rope, sucks to use a climber. Can't get a harness on at your treestand in the dark, yep. Sucks to be on the ground with an 8pt 15 yards away. No release on your wrist while walking to your stand during daylight hours only to have a doe in heat almost walk over you only to stop at 10 yards broadside. I missed. Etc etc etc Stories go on...it all equals experience and memories that didn't start with...."well, I was having a beer when....... good luck to all

09-Sep-16
This thread just gets better!

10-Sep-16
Don't forget to take it all in......

10-Sep-16
Stay in the stand that last 10 min, even after seeing no deer and wanting to get down. Happened to me last season as well as several other occasions.you tell yourself, i am gonna sit it out til 10am. 9:50 rolls around no deer sightings. You decide ah what the hell not gonna see anything anyway. Climb down and see a nice buck that was headed right to you trotting away tail waving. 10 more min and it would have been a done deal.

10-Sep-16
Don't get a hole in your foot. It'll ruin your season.

11-Sep-16
Bigbuckbob: drawing the bow over your head pointing straihght up and hitting the release? Really? Sounds like you're making the csae for the oppnents of hunting in NY City...oh the irony

11-Sep-16
bb

I wouldn't participate in a "control" hunt if they paid me, so don't worry, you're safe.

11-Sep-16
You missed the point as usual, there are other people reading these and similar threads also. When they read of a hunter admitting to doing stupid things, it gives the perception that's what they should expect

11-Sep-16
I just remember why I stopped coming here.

11-Sep-16
bb

perfection must be a heavy cross for you to bear, I feel sorry for you. A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.

Maybe you'll get there some day. Maybe.

11-Sep-16
C'mon guys. Save this crap for the off season..

11-Sep-16
Well said BBB.

11-Sep-16
don't miss your tree, put the climber in the wrong tree and have a buck walk within 15 yards of the tree you are supposed to be in.

Don't wear your face mask in such a way that when you draw the mask is in the way of your peep site.

11-Sep-16
Yes BBB well said, still missing the point but well said.

12-Sep-16
bb

the POINT of this post was to have some light-hearted fun with the mistakes that all of us have made as hunters since none of us are perfect; and maybe remind everyone to be a bit more careful this season. Seems to me you're on the wrong thread and need to revisit the Staten Island thread. That's the point!

12-Sep-16
No BBB I disagree. This is the right thread. This is the thread wher you admitted to doing a dumb thing that could potentially endanger the lives of others and that's exactly how it can be perceived by others. Regardless of how light hearted you want to make it sometimes it's just better to shut up about the stupid things that were or are done. Especially if you are the most vocal proponent about for hunting opportunities in populated areas. This isn't about an act of contrition or who is mistake free, just in case you still miss the point it's about reining it in.

12-Sep-16
BB

Bradford Mtn in the NW corner compared to Staten Island?????? Hmmmmm, sounds like you're just looking for a fight. You've stretched that one pretty far to make a point.

With that said, it was a mistake that happened 14 years ago and I never made it again. Why? Because I learned from it. Was it still a dangerous situation? Absolutely, no excuses. But if someone else can learn from it than I'm willing to put it out there, just like leaving my bow on the hood of truck and walking a half mile before I realized I was going hunting without a weapon.

Consider me stupid and dumb.

BTW - I think the guy who lives on Staten Island and said hunting there is definitely an options would win the "Most in Favor of Hunting" award there, not me. But you can think that if you want, it's fine.

12-Sep-16
There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to get a fight. That aside, despite the demographics, psychographics and geographics, some stories are best left un told.

12-Sep-16
Battle of double B and Triple B. Ha

12-Sep-16
BB

no fight here, I agreed with you that what I did 14 years ago was dumb and stupid, you are 100% correct. I'm not going to get into the Staten Island thread on this one and the only thing I disagreed with was that I was not the #1 proponent of hunting on the island. I really do think that's subjective, so neither of us can be right or wrong.

And who's notne?? I know who not ME is, but not not NE.

12-Sep-16
He's the bootleg version of notme but seems a little more on the serious side.

13-Sep-16
I don't know who BB is nor do I care, Big Buck Bob was just pointing out some funny and odd things that have happened to ALL of us. If nothing like this has happened to you BB then you live in a perfect world and wonderful for you. Don't put down the rest of us who are merely joining in the fun amongst a GREAT group of hunters. IMOA Rick

13-Sep-16
If we had this site to ourselves it would offer a lot of useful insights as well as some funny anecdotes for sharing.

Unfortunately, it is an inescapable reality that hunting sites, like this one are trolled daily by extremists opposed to any type of hunting and they will gladly take innocent remarks out of context and splash them over whatever forum will allow it.

It's for this reason that certain topics are discouraged in general and most often get pulled by editors off of the Big Game forum. I won't name any but it shouldn't require too much head-scratching to figure out a few.

Look, everyone here understood the context and had no issue with it, myself included. Whether some of the comments were a result of some holdover animus over a prior thread or threads is subject to debate and honestly isn't worth the time; we're all adults here.

There were some real classics shared here and I hope everyone enjoyed them. In a few days it gets real and lets all focus on that subject; be safe out there and best of luck to all!

13-Sep-16
Well said Mike

13-Sep-16
Yup what mike said...and why won't this stupid name edit..notne..what a dumb name...and I don't own anything serious,seriously..

13-Sep-16
What not to do:

Don't go out hunting without testing all of your equipment!

That includes broadheads. Shoot with your hunting clothing on, and all your junk hanging around your neck. Shoot out of your stand. If you can't shoot well enough, don't go hunting until you can. Respect the animals you hunt by being as prepared as you can be, and making a clean quick kill. Don't be a slob and give us all a bad name.

14-Sep-16
Geez where to begin....don't leave for opening gun weekend of Vermont with no bullets expecting to "just pick some up" on the way..

15-Sep-16
Turtle that's funny. How about don't drive all the way to Maine for a guided bear hunt and leave the trigger lock on your coyote gun and forget the key because your buddy is driving his truck. Good thing the guide had a drill!

15-Sep-16
Spike - Ouch!

my friend left his gun at home when we went to Maine. Luckily the guy renting us a cabin let him use his gun. My friend NEVER shot a deer, so not sure why he was so worried about not having a gun :)

15-Sep-16
BBB, I wasn't worried either as I never did bag a coyote or a bear!

15-Sep-16
This is hilarious and a a breath of fresh air. I guess MR "BB" stands for BALLBREAKER? The guy is honest enough to admit to an honest mistake in the field and you wanna jump all over him? Stop worrying about the "antis" having ammo to use against us. This is why Trump will be our next president. Regular Americans are tired of the PC culture of fear. Mad Dog

15-Sep-16
My NOT TO DO list:

From over 25 yrs over huntin'

- no Eye-Talian hoagies on stand - no cigars or pipes the night before - no coffee on the drive to the spot Or until that night - always use the same length/size arrows

Mad Dog

15-Sep-16
Mad Dog

hunting is one the safest past times there is, the facts prove that. Besides, antis rarely use facts, they are more prone to use emotion and distortions of the truth.

Sometimes political views take precedent over our position on hunting. I have no problem with others disagreeing with my statements and invite others to express their opinions since I have no problem expressing mine. Arguing a point is healthy, as long you keep the personal attacks out of it.

Carry on!

15-Sep-16
Hope your right mad dog. Problem is regular Americans are outnumbered and pc is very popular!

15-Sep-16
The chardonnay and Xanax crowd are feeling and seeing the folly of their BAD election decisions over the last 25 yrs. It's not safe to go to the French Riviera or have muffy and biff backpack through Europe this summer and stay in youth hostels (hostiles?). The College campuses are NO LONGER a place to learn and heat oppossing viewpoints...From what I'm seeing and hearing, enuff of THEM and independents are SCARED...VERY SCARED what the country has degenerated in to....well see. This is Trump's to.lose.God Bless America . Our opening day if bow in NY is 1 Oct....good luck Mad Dog

15-Sep-16
The chardonnay and Xanax crowd are feeling and seeing the folly of their BAD election decisions over the last 25 yrs. It's not safe to go to the French Riviera or have muffy and biff backpack through Europe this summer and stay in youth hostels (hostiles?). The College campuses are NO LONGER a place to learn and heat oppossing viewpoints...From what I'm seeing and hearing, enuff of THEM and independents are SCARED...VERY SCARED what the country has degenerated in to....well see. This is Trump's to.lose.God Bless America . Our opening day if bow in NY is 1 Oct....good luck Mad Dog

16-Sep-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

16-Sep-16
Notme - I'm on board. Where do I get a bumper sticker :)

16-Sep-16
me too! More cow bell please!

16-Sep-16
Whippin' Post! M D

17-Sep-16
Don't get so wrapped up surfing the web on you iPhone that you miss the deer under your stand.

19-Sep-16
" I guess MR "BB" stands for BALLBREAKER? The guy is honest enough to admit to an honest mistake in the field and you wanna jump all over him? Stop worrying about the "antis" having ammo to use against us. This is why Trump will be our next president. Regular Americans are tired of the PC culture of fear. Mad Dog"

No it doesn't stand for that but yes I am a ball breaker, BBB needs a little of it sometimes and he seems like he can take it without crying about it, he seems like he can also dish it out which is good.

I don't worry at all about the antis having ammo against us, I'm right there with you on the PC crap, I don't buy into it in the least. However this isn't about PC or about antis. It's about common sense.

Look, I get the context of this thread. I understand completely the intent. And I think it's funny. we have all done stupid things over the years, hopefully all in the past.

But look if your goal is to persuade those that have the power to call the shots that hunting in an urban environment is a worthwhile activity to endorse and support, then It's necessary to lay to rest some inherent fears and possibly misconceptions about hunting and hunters in general. You can be defiant as you want against being PC, but it's not going to get you anywhere when you have to persuade the powers that be.

Just stop and think of what some of these people may imagine might take place if hunting was allowed in their urban environment?...arrows raining down on school busses? shot through cars? shot through windows?...I don't know but the sky is the limit about what a person ignorant about bow hunting, can really imagine. So now take the most vocal advocate here to support hunting in an urban environment as a safe activity and he admits to launching an arrow into the air into the next town. That just validates their perception of what they could expect from allowing hunting as a means to control the population, it's pretty easy for them to rule it out.

To give it a little more perspective, substitute Bullet for arrow in Bob's description in his first post, You can just imagine the wheels turning and those calling the shots have their fears validated.

Again, this has nothing to do with PC, I'm completely with you in regards to being defiant against PC but if you want to sway people into seeing things your way, you have to do so with the use of common sense and don't feed into their pre conceived ideas on how hunters operate. In general the whole context of this thread is fun, I understand but I do think you're shooing yourself in the foot regarding trying to sway those that could potentially warm up to the idea of hunting as a viable alternative to sterilization or any other means they can dream of. Granted the concept in NY city is a long shot and most likely no shot but like I said before, somethings might serve the cause better if left unsaid on a public forum.

19-Sep-16
bb

I guess admitting you were right in my previous thread didn't hit home yet. "bb - no fight here, I agreed with you that what I did 14 years ago was dumb and stupid, you are 100% correct"

So let me also admit that I was wrong for posting it. I agree that we need to present a positive image whenever we represent the hunting community.

I've stated in previous threads that this is exactly what I strive to do when stopping to get a coffee in my hunting clothes and someone asks me if I was deer hunting. Respectful replies, consider their viewpoint and don't argue with a hard core anti, just say we have a different view and I respect you for yours, so please respect me for mine.

And yes bb, I can take it and welcome differing points of view. We learn when we discuss topics with passion, and I learned not to post things that present the hunting community in a bad light. Consider me spanked! Never too old to learn.

19-Sep-16
Bob, it hit home, I got it. this wasn't so much a response to you but to the other guy that called me out and insulted me by calling me a ball breaker :) I have no idea where he gets that from.

20-Sep-16
BB

if bb stands for ball breaker then I'm a triple ball breaker :) .

20-Sep-16
Fair enuff b.b. but wasn't it fun? God Bless guys. Mad Dog

20-Sep-16
You know, it was the first time I used a release with my compound and it was such a stupid thing to do that I just had to warn others. Funny? Not really, just plain stupid.

It's like what they tell you when you take a hunter safety course - "Don't do this and don't do that, it's all dangerous"

• Sitka Gear