Jim Casto Jr 09-Sep-16
pawpaw 09-Sep-16
gobbler 09-Sep-16
wvmule 10-Sep-16
Babysaph 10-Sep-16
pawpaw 10-Sep-16
Ron Miller 13-Sep-16
09-Sep-16
What do you guys think about 3 yr old bucks with no brows? Kill them or let them go?

09-Sep-16
We've got two; a three year old and a four year old. They're both on the hit list.

09-Sep-16
Would they be on the hit list otherwise or is it solely due to no brows?

09-Sep-16

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
The one on the left was a 6 with no brows as a 3.5 yr old. I killed him the next year as an 8. He had developed small brow tines. At least in my experience 2.5-3.5 yr old with no brows will develop them when they're older but aren't likely to be real long.

The one on the right was a 6 as a 2.5 as u can see by the shed hanging under him but by 3.5 had developed small brows.

My opinion for what it's worth is that if you are only going to shoot it because it has no brows I'd give it another year if you can.

09-Sep-16

pawpaw's embedded Photo
pawpaw's embedded Photo
I am pretty sure these are the same deer. Maybe not though. Regardless I will not try to kill him this year. I am thinking he is 3 this year.

09-Sep-16

pawpaw's embedded Photo
pawpaw's embedded Photo

09-Sep-16
I think they are different bucks

09-Sep-16
I only kill deer with brow tines. Called spikes

09-Sep-16
"Would they be on the hit list otherwise or is it solely due to no brows?"

No, not because they don't have brow tines. They're both mature and have very long main beams. The four year old was cow horned at one and two. At three he had one inch tines. Same with the three year old. We've also got a crippled three year old. He's got a spike on one side and has a hard time getting around. He's on the list too.

We've got three real pretty 8 pt's; one is a three year old and will score 115. The other two are two year olds. Hoping for some of them to survive.

So... we've got three we're going to hunt and three we're going to let go. We'll see how it goes.

09-Sep-16
Gobbler - I have not studied the pictures of the deer closely but I am thinking they are probably the same due to where the pictures are and the brow tine bump on the left side. I don't have any daytime pics of the buck this year to compare the throat patch to tell for sure. I have been wrong before though.

Jim - Good luck on the hit list.

I think even though the buck above don't have brows ... or barely any ... he still has some potential with the infamous "one more year". You can't tell in the pic but he is an 8 not counting the bumps for brows. I am thinking he might make 115 this year.

09-Sep-16
U may be right, it's hard to tell. To me Their right ear looks similar in position in both pictures and the firsts main beam looks flatter and outside the ear compared to 2nd picture. It's main beam seems to angle up a little more and seems to be inside ear length to me?

Plus left G2 on first seems to angle in on first and left G2 on 2nd one seems to go straight up.

Maybe you'll get some more pictures to clear it up?

10-Sep-16
Dead deer don't grow brows.

10-Sep-16
Good luck Jimmy

10-Sep-16
Gobbler - I don't know if I will get any more pics of him for a while. I had to pull that camera because I put my cattle in that section of pasture.

13-Sep-16

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Ron Miller's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear