Bowhunting 5C 10-Sep-16
Will tell 11-Sep-16
Bowhunting 5C 11-Sep-16
Bob McArthur 12-Sep-16
Harv 12-Sep-16
bill v 19-Sep-16
Bowhunting 5C 26-Sep-16
10-Sep-16
All, just got the e-mail notice that the annual Lorimer county Park hunt has been cancelled for 2016. It appears there are not enough deer around and the vehicle collisions around the park are minimal. So they cancelled the hunt for this year.

There is always the shotgun hunt for the Norristown Farm Park.

11-Sep-16
They did the same at Pymatuming goose area a few years back. I don't know why the game commission doesn't close areas every few years to build up the deer herds. Even if you closed a area every five years it would help the deer bounce back in areas where the deer are getting scarce. I'm afraid it's more of a money issue than maintaining a healthy population.

11-Sep-16
If you seen where this park is you would know the answer to that very question. Positioned well inside large tract of communities and a large farm. The carrying capacity for this small park is not great and the hunt has been running for many years in a row so they are just being realistic and giving it a break. If the herd is not there, and the concerns are down why go through the trouble of having a hunt where only a few are killed and not dozens?....

12-Sep-16
I drive past the park twice a day, I can't remember the last time I saw a deer. Looks like a controlled bowhunt works.

12-Sep-16
Pymatuning management area hunt was closed 2 years ago due to an outbreak of EHD that the game commission estimated wiped out 75-80% of the population there, at least that's what I read in the local sports paper up there. I don't know if it has since reopened or not?

19-Sep-16
I doubt there is no deer there

break or cost is more likely the reason as posted

bill v

26-Sep-16
Make no mistake, there are deer there. The sightings and lack of vehicle collisions were the reason for the cancelled hunt. I have been drawn several times and was never disappointed once you figured out where not to go. There are plenty of deer there, some really great bucks as well. But I think with the amount of ground versus the lack of sightings, they just gave it a break.

The protesters at this hunt are comical too.

• Sitka Gear