smokey 10-Sep-16
CaptMike 10-Sep-16
Jeff in MN 10-Sep-16
Pasquinell 10-Sep-16
Reggiezpop 10-Sep-16
skookumjt 11-Sep-16
stagetek 11-Sep-16
10-Sep-16
Anybody have any reviews of a game cart they use or have had bad experiences with? I have some spots where a cart would make life a heck of a lot easier to get gear in and a deer out.

10-Sep-16

smokey's Link
I have used a few and as long as you have level, firm ground they worked but this is what I use now.

Very tough material and flexible even in the cold.

10-Sep-16
We have used one off and on for the last 10 years to set up a wall tent. It works okay but Smokey is right you have to be on level ground or the thing gets tippy. They are hard to balance front to back and if you were a tall guy like me you tend to have to bend down to reach the handle.

We tried a deer on there once or twice but our ground is just too uneven. We backpack everything out now.

If you have a lot of stuff on the top, a strap from front to back that you can tighten works well.

10-Sep-16
Cabelas magnum has many hauls deer and elk under its belt. I tried a back packing unit with way too small wheels that went back to gander absolute junk but the Cabelas magnum hauler has been great.

10-Sep-16
I have one that works reasonably good, can't tell you the brand because it is not where I am. The thing that is good about it is the wheels are slanted so they are wider at the ground than they are at the top so sidehill is not as much of an issue. It hauls a 200# deer real easy. It wouldn't work real well where you have a lot of crap in your way, that is it works best on a good trail or funky road. Used it a lot for hauling turkey hunting gear in like blind, deeks, chair. Now days I use a long and deep (4") sled most of the time for deer. Used it for the 185# bear I shot a few days ago. The one I have is just about wore thru the bottom from pulling it with a 4 wheeler and a deer inside.

10-Sep-16
Jeff, can you get a picture of that sometime? I recall a cart with slanted wheels years ago that was great but it is not longer produced. Maybe someone with welding skills could make them. I think the slanted wheels is the answer to keep them from tipping.

10-Sep-16
I have a brand new one from Cabelas that was missing the axle. I never returned it and now it just sits in my garage. Free to anyone who wants to pick it up in Waukesha.

10-Sep-16
Smokey, sure. I can even loan it to you but it is not up here right now. I think I bought it at the archery shop that was up here years ago. I should loan you one of my tree stands too sometime. I think you would like it and if you could find someone with welding skills and a square tube bender you could get some made. I will post a picture when I get one of them off of the bear baits. They are heavy but super, I mean super quiet.

10-Sep-16
My buddy at work swears by them. He hunts Walworth County and leaves it in his truck. He hunts public land and when he needs it he hikes out and gets it. Says it helps tremendously. He bought at Cabelas.

10-Sep-16
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The terrain is tough, meaning no trail, and the haul out is down hill with lots of fallen timber. Might just have to go with a decent sled. I bought an $10 sled for last gun season, and my deer cracked the sled in half in 30 yards!

11-Sep-16
We built one with one wheel centered under the cart. It is a front wheel from a dirt bike so we could use the front brake to control it on terrain. The single wheel is infinitely better than two wheel carts because it will go down any game trail. The motorcycle wheel also handles rough ground much better than the solid bicycle looking wheels on commercially made carts.

11-Sep-16
I bought one years ago from Gander Mountain. As long as it's on a logging road it works fine. Uneven terrain, and it will rip your wrists off tipping over. IMO, it needs to have a V-bed where the load centers itself. And, angled wheels is a huge advantage. It's almost impossible to tie a dead deer and keep it centered on a flat bed. Its like tying down 100+ lbs. of jello.

• Sitka Gear